1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Project: The Ultimate AGP System (PC-A05FNB/HD3850)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Jayzilla, Sep 1, 2012.

1. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:

Attached Files:

Solaris17, ThE_MaD_ShOt and TRWOV say thanks.
  2. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    If that works then I've got another AGP system to build :D

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I also consider the HD 4670 to be better, but because it consumes way less than the 3850. :p
    Performance-wise...yep, they're pretty much the same.

4. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    For benchmarks the 3850 would be better. I get around 2500 extra 3dmarks from an HD4670 -> HD3850.

My Octanux rig tops at 12418 in 3dmark06.

Plus, I don't know about any HD4670 waterblock ;)

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    yea buddy I didn't even think about the power savings. Power savings the 4670 hands down. :toast:

yea, overclocking wise with water the 3850 would win due to it being a performance card and the fact they made water blocks for it. :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Do like I did with my 470 full cover heatsink and gpu block. They have standard ati mounting holes.

7. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Really? Do you have the specific model?

Heck, if jayzilla confirms the drivers as working then I might be in luck with my 939A8X-M :D There are drivers for XP64 but of course they don't work in W7.

<hijack thread>
    Solaris, your bios modding offering was serious? I would like some help with the Conroe865PE bios... :toast:
    </hijack thread>

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. b1gt1m

Thanks Received:
    Conroe Blues

Hiya, Im new on here, I joined after finding this topic as you do... Well, I gotta a big headache, maybe you can help/advise me? I've just completed a system build which consists of : intel Q6600 SLACR (G0) CPU - ASRock Conroe865PE MB - 2 x Kingston KTM-M50/1Gb RAM Modules - Sapphire HD3850 AGP Gfx Card - Creative Labs Audigy Sound Card - PowerCool GT 700w PSU with dual 12v rails rated at 22A each! PHEW!:eek: Now when I turn on the system with both RAM in dual channel config I get a blank screen, when i put them in single channel mode the POST appears and I can get into the bios, change things, etc. Also, when I try to boot off the HDD, I get BSOD's so try to boot off Windows DVD an run setup but same again or just reboots. I tried running with 1 stick of RAM in there but same symptoms... any ideas as Im fresh out!! :wtf: Bear in mind that Ive completely stripped an rebuilt this system 3 times today an im getting a bit desperate...

Thanx in advance ;) :toast:

9. b1gt1m

Thanks Received:
    By the way

The BIOS is P1.70. and its showing correct RAM speeds, size etc and the CPU is showing correct type, model, speed, etc.;)

10. Jayzilla New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi b1gt1m!

Welcome to my work-log. Not meant to be rude. This thread is about my project and maybe some issues relate to it. I’m trying to showcase my works while makes it as an entertainment. I would start a thread in an appropriate section if I have problems or questions about my rig. If you having issues with your HD3850 there is a forum for it:

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50040

I’ve learned so much in there I’m sure many members on TPU would help you out. Thanks buddy.

11. b1gt1m

Thanks Received:
    Aye! No probs - Im outta here!

Jayzilla says thanks.
  12. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Jayzilla New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes. I have a Swiftech MCW30 block. Visual is a priority in this project. I want to match all the color of the blocks. So it takes time to collects the parts.

I have that block too. It's a bad design block. It only compatible with their own brand products. You need a pair of hose clamps if you use others 3/8 tubing.

I will try to have some updates tonight about the driver cdawall provided. This is exciting.

Cheers

14. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is the best topic I have come across in awhile. I remember in the 8th grade installing my first AGP card in my Dad's old piece of crap Compaq PC so I could play Warcraft 3 xD

15. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    I was cruisin for parts on eBay and found out that a 3.4 Prescott goes for $19 shipped :D heck, shouldn't have sold my old AiW X800XT... I miss it now :(

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Jayzilla New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sure. PMed. I would love to see someone reuse the old parts. Dual core with a decent AGP is nice.

The 7 series AGP from Nvidia was considered top-notch. I owned all the 7800GS ever existed. Including two different legendary Golden Sample from Gainward. That was my good old days.

The performance between HD3850 and HD4670 is really controversy. They are not always the winners. There are many factors to determine the performance like CPUs, chipset, benchmarking software and games. Sometimes the Nvidia beats all the Radeon cards in 2D apps. Sometimes the X series wins and sometimes they do better in some particular CPUs. I had a benchmark data file for over 50 high-end AGP but the computer got stolen last year. TRWOV should know better because he got many retro systems.The HD4670 beats HD3850 in heat and power consumption for sure. In my current system the HD3850 Iceq3 Turbo is the boss.

[​IMG]

Thanks. I had my first AGP card pretty late. It was super expensive back in the days.

Sure. I'll be the white mice first.
    The drivers doesn't seem to works. I got a blue screen of death during the restart. It happens so fast I couldn't read it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So I've only installed the GART and SMBus driver and the reboot was fine. I just tried this on XP-64bit. I haven't try it on W7. Here is the official page (dead).

[​IMG]
    Somethings still wrong.

I've also found this forum : http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/nforce-drivers-f28.html
    I'm not sure it helps on our issues but take a look if you have the time. I want to focus on my current hardware because I can pick the OS on the very last. I will come back for it and I might get two SSD and RAID them up if Windows 7 is an option for me. Man, I have so much to do in here.

17. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    You'll need to disable automatic restarts to get the error code, or look in the event logs to see if you can find it there.

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    nice build to start with, but if it was me i would have taken that 7950GT if i am not wrong and use that it was a nice card for AGP at it's time.

19. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    The 7950GT was about on par with the X1950PRO. The 3850 has 2x the performance of those.

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    sorry! i havent checked back. unfortunetely the bios update was an example. for the OS problems or something microcode related the bios will not help. as for the missing PCI device get the hardware ID and google to see what it wants?

also try and stress 3d i see GPUz isnt displaying it right thats probably because of the "built" driver. and the missing piece. but if you can find the hardware ID then you can probably remod the INI with one that does have the info and get it to show up. but practice makes perfect and these ideas are all better if you attempt it with windows 7 or rather the final OS/of choice. because windows xp 64 wasnt ever that stable to begin with.

21. Krazy Owl

Krazy Owl New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just for information there is a 4670 AGP 1gig ddr3 at 1780mhz. It's the top notch of the IceQ they made with the cooler as in the 3850 picture of the OP.

22. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    Hopefully that "pci device" isn't the pci-e to agp bridge chip. not sure where you'd get software for that, except the manufacturers card drivers. I think that's why its "agp8x @ pci" but i'm not completely sure... here's the files from HIS, you have to click the little blue arrows to download.

http://www.hisdigital.com/us/download1-358.shtml

hmm... interesting... the 3850 has twice the texture power of the 4670 and better memory bandwidth, yet the 4670 has about twice the pixel fillrate power. tough choice.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
    More than 25k PPD
  23. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    it is an Nvidia Driver Issue actually.

here is a possible solution for NF2/NF3 users with Windows 7 and a Dual Core CPU

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/13935-x1950-agp-nforce3-x2-athlon-4000-problem.html

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
    ThE_MaD_ShOt says thanks.
  24. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    What's missing from the nforce3 drivers is a proper GART driver. Without it the AGP port functions as a PCI port.

Based on my experience (I own both) the 4670 runs neck and neck with the 3850 at stock settings. The sweet spot for both is 1680x1050; at that res their performance is practically the same. Above that the 4670 gets a slight edge because of its 1GB of VRAM and at lower resolutions the 3850 256bit bus shows its force... if only there was a 1GB 3850 :ohwell:

In games with high lots of textures (Oblivion) the 4670 wins even at lower resolutions too.

Still, the overcloking headroom is higher with the 3850 (mine runs 824/1197 0.974v and I've seen reports of 837Mhz). With the 4670 I only managed a 30Mhz overclock. I think that the voltage regulation circuitry is what makes that possible on the 3850 as it was a high end part at its time.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    That would be Nf3/Nf4 wouldn't it. Primarily Nf4. Nf2 was socket a. :toast:

The system I built not long ago that was Nf4 based s939 wouldn't even install the os without issues. Hell half the time I couldn't even get it to boot with the Ati hd card in it. I had to swap it out for a Nvidia card and got it stable with it.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
    TRWOV says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU