1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Project Thief - CaseLabs TX10-D Dual Workstation/Gaming Build - Gulftown and SB-E

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by stren, Jan 16, 2012.

1. stren

Thanks Received:
    First off - thanks to my sponsors - CaseLabs, Monsoon Cooling, DT Waterblocks, Primochill, Corsair, EK Waterblocks, Lutro0 Customs and Alphacool

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The full build log will be posted on here and on my website - however it may get fractured into multiple posts here, so if you want an easy read go here

Current Status

Workstation Hardware:
    [​IMG]

Case:
    [​IMG]

Random cool photo of the week:
    [​IMG]

Index

To be completed when I'm less lazy ;)

And so it begins

The project name is not finalized so suggestions are welcome - I thought of thief because it dual wields and it steals all my money!

I am working on a huge monster build that will showcase CaseLabs newest case - the monster TX10. This monster case can fit two SR-2 (HPTX) systems with full water cooling. As shown it could fit multiple Mo-Ra 140x9 raditors, or 6 140.4 radiators. It can even fit front mounted 140.5 radiators.

The main feature will be two giant custom waterfall reservoirs that will occupy the front bays.

Here is the current hardware that I have to go in:

[​IMG]

Unboxing Videos and Pics

I picked up the case directly from Jim - so the packing was reduced in order to fit in my car. If you buy one of these it will come in two boxes as it's packed a lot more securely.

Videos - I can't work out how to embed youtube so here's some links:
    CaseLabs TX10-D Unboxing Part 1 - YouTube

CaseLabs TX10-D Unboxing Part 2 - YouTube

[​IMG]
    Lots of Parts

[​IMG]

Building the case

As Jim knew the case was going to be powder coated by FTWPC he saved FTW the hassle of sandblasting it by skipping the CaseLabs normal black/white powder coat. Because of this the case is not only in it's raw bare aluminum state, but it also is less assembled than normal in order to save on time taking everything apart.

[​IMG]
    The Pedestal frame consist of top, bottom, front and back that are screwed together with countersunk screws

[​IMG]
    Screwing the casters in

[​IMG]
    These are the spring clips that hold the panels on - they hold the panels tight, while still be pretty easy to remove for changing your loop up

[​IMG]
    Pedestal frame with one of the clipped side panel and the back plate screwed on

[​IMG]
    Pedestal with all panels attached except the top/bottom cover

[​IMG]
    Main case frame coming together, this is the view from the back showing the holes for the dual vertical motherboard trays

[​IMG]
    Case + Pedestal with XXL window fitted on one side

Here's a quick video of the partially assembled case

CaseLabs TX10 - Partially Built - YouTube

Choosing colors for the powder coat

To make sure I was making the right choice on the color I decided to get some card and tape it to the frame. I removed the acrylic window and used a grey piece of card to model the motherboard:

[​IMG]
    Metallic Charcoal Grey and Metallic Crimson Red

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Metallic Charcoal Grey, Pearl White and Crimson Red

[​IMG]
    Metallic Charcoal Grey with Metallic Pearl White

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  2. stren

Thanks Received:
    1-03-12

Paint samples came in today - it looks like "Galaxy Grey II" will be the exterior and "Silver/White" will be the interior. It's hard to show the texture, but those two are both similarly smooth, with a bit of shine but not much.

[​IMG]
    Cold Storm says thanks.
  3. stren

Thanks Received:
    Picked up an EK 250 res off of hardass, a second ax1200 from patch to replace my dying ocz psu, and an open box xonar stx :)

[​IMG]
    Albuquerque says thanks.
  4. stren

Thanks Received:
    Thought you guys might want to see some pics of the existing hardware that will be *partly* reused as well as some of the new pieces. Apologies that the photos aren't that great, my wife took the camera with her tonight so I had to use my phone.

Here's my modded Antec 300 that contains my gaming rig (i7-920, Rampage III Extreme, 3xGTX480, Xonar STX, AX1200). When the workstation gets SB-E this will get the 990x. Note that one gentle typhoon is stopped - I unsoldered the power wire because it's out of balance so the noise is annoying.

[​IMG]

Here's the front of the case with the space efficient but bubbly Koolance dual D5 reservoir as well as the dual 24V controller. I'll be using this reservoir until the 18 bay FTW reservoirs come in. No dvd drive, I removed it after installing windows and a couple of games. Most other games I have are on origin/steam.

[​IMG]

Here's the interior - cable routing isn't perfect because I knew I was moving to the TX10 soon. I'll also be replacing all the blue LEDs with reds to match the ROG theme a bit better:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the workstation in it's current temporary incarnation in a DD torture rack. i7-990x on an asus p6t. LSI raid card, 3 ssds and 3 hard drives and a 8800gt to drive the monitors. It has the H100 cooler temporarily and as you can see it needs some sleeving work:

[​IMG]

Here's a front shot showing the push/pull AP15's on the H100, they perform about as well as the stock 2600rpm corsair fans at max, but with a *lot* less noise

[​IMG]

Trident + turbulence memory - back in the day this was sweet stuff 3x4gb @ 2000-8-9-8, now of course you can get better for a lot less money haha such is progress!

[​IMG]

And now for some parts waiting to be installed - vintage EK gpu block:

[​IMG]

My old rasa block - I'm hoping to not use this and instead get a second raystorm soon - note the o-rings on the barbs seem to be dying:

[​IMG]

EK 250 res and DDC-1 for the worksation gpu and motherboard loop that will be self contained on the motherboard tray.

[​IMG]

That's about all the fun stuff I can show for now!
    MT Alex says thanks.
  5. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Been following this on [H] already ;)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. stren

Thanks Received:
    Ah yeah I've been slow to join here but I thought it was about time to post a log here too :)
  7. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    This is insane. I love it.
  8. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Nice work. I'm glad to see some CaseLabs love. They don't get nearly the recognition they deserve.
  9. stren

Thanks Received:
    Thanks guys - yes CaseLabs are awesome. It's just because they're new, as the word spreads and as the more affordable cases come out they'll get a lot of love!
  10. stren

Thanks Received:
    sneak peak

[​IMG]
  11. Fitseries3

Fitseries3 Eleet Hardware Junkie

Thanks Received:
    looks like mountainmods taken to the next level. im watching this one.

enjoy the rad
  12. stren

Thanks Received:
    Thanks fit!
  13. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Already awesome, looks like it's only going to get better!

Hey, can that top area accept 19" rack units?
  14. stren

Thanks Received:
    Yes the top and bottom heat chambers as well as the rear of the pedestals can all accept 19" racks (4u worth each). You couldn't use all of them though or you wouldn't have any room for a PSU (unless you mod it)
  15. Huddo93

Huddo93 New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is going to be absolutely crazy! Really want to see the end product now :D
  16. stren

Thanks Received:
    Well guess what came today:

[​IMG]
  17. mATrIxLord New Member

Thanks Received:
    total awesomeness so far... subed to see moar pics!! :D
  18. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Cool. 8U is still enough for a switch, a 3U 16 x 3.5" drive rack/system, and a pair of 2U (or 4U) UPS.

If somehow I could possibly want more, some short-depth racks would probably fit in front of the PSU's, that way I could also incorporate a ClearOS, Smoothwall, or other dedicated router box.

After all that, I think I could still fit a decent water-cooling system in there. Not as elaborate as yours for sure, but enough for my mild overclocking needs :)
  19. stren

Thanks Received:
    Yeah if you ever need to expand the rackspace you can add more pedestals with another 4u each. You may want to check with Jim about the weight handling of the rack. Initially he said it wasn't designed for heavy items like servers and UPSs but I've seen a photo with an empty rack mount case in there. So he may have changed his mind.
  20. stren

Thanks Received:
    My testpack of monsoon fittings arrived today, these are the 3/8 ID 5/8 OD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With primochill tube:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  21. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Lovely fittings, it's a shame I can't find a retailer here in Europe, Aquatuning answered to me in a mail saying that they'll never sell them :(
  22. stren

Thanks Received:
    That's a shame, hopefully someone will start carrying them over there. I'm using the 3/8's on the workstation motherboard/gpu loop, if they work well as well as look great, I'll get the 1/2" ones for the main higher flow loops.
  23. stren

Thanks Received:
    Seeing as my boss gave me the week off (why not a raise?) for having to work like crazy the last month I decided to test out some of the components that came in on my workstation. for the last few months it's been running the H100 cooler, now it's time to switch it to partial watercooling.

In the end the workstation will have two loops:
    1 - CPU (raystorm) - mora 140.9 - dual D5 varios
    2- GPU (8800gt) - GPU (9800gt) - motherboard - DDC-1 - RX360

The GPU's only do 2D, so there's very little heat on loop2. Both loops will eventually run with low speed yates and I'm hoping it should be close to silent while giving excellent overclocking performance on the cpu.

As I don't have 4 D5's yet (still one short) I'll be temporarily running this loop with a DDC. I picked up one of the NOS ones from bmaverick, they're not that powerful but this won't be driving a critical loop. I picked up an xspc acrylic top (later I'll run some dye for the money shots):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

However the XSPC screws don't fit the old DDC's so I had to drill out the holes a bit larger

[​IMG]

Done:

[​IMG]

Then with the EK 250 res fitted. I used a bitspower shining silver male to male rotary fitting to attach them:

[​IMG]

Also remember that talk about the acyrylic vs delrin 8800gt blocks, well I ordered the acrylics and they arrived the other day:

[​IMG]

They do look sexier!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Taking apart the 8800gt:

[​IMG]

Then I realized I didn't have any non-conductive TIM left, so I put it to the side and put the 9800gt in for now. Built up the temporary cpu loop in the torture rack

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kind of a funky radiator setup - the torture rack only supports 240 rads, so I ran 2 fans in push and 2 fans in pull. I have 12 more gentle typhoons coming from the ocn group buy:

[​IMG]

Then more stuff came:

[​IMG]

Fan adapters for the gtx 560, plus rubber fan isolators. Not sure if they'll do much but they were cheap if I bought the adapters, so I picked some up:

[​IMG]
    manofthem says thanks.
  24. stren

Thanks Received:
    So I'd been suffering wrist pain after pulling 20 hour days working on CAD stuff. This isn't unusual when I'm forced to use a bad mouse or a bad setup, but my trusty G5 on a bare desk wasn't cutting it. I decided to try a "gaming" mousepad and thought I'd check out a razer deathadder while I was doing it. After a few weeks of it I actually prefer the feel of it despite the construction feeling less sturdy and having less features than my trusty G5. The G5 now gets relegated to the gaming rig as I game less than I work :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also parts for my lightsabre came in ;)

[​IMG]
  25. Outback Bronze

Outback Bronze

Thanks Received:
    This is looking kick ass mate. Nice work. That case is bloody massive!:eek: