1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Project Thief - CaseLabs TX10-D Dual Workstation/Gaming Build - Gulftown and SB-E

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by stren, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Clubber_Lang

Clubber_Lang New Member

Thanks Received:
    Looking awesome Stren! Big thanks for showing all the progress!

2. stren

Thanks Received:
    Anytime - thanks for the encouragement :toast:

3. stren

Thanks Received:
    So I received some more primochill LRT tubing that is definitely a different color than the previous stuff I have. It's not aging or the supplier because the existing stuff I have is of different dates and different suppliers. I contacts ppc's and they said to email primochill (although I do wonder if they shipped me feser by mistake). Either way we'll see what primochill says.

[​IMG]

The difference looks 3-4x worse than the photo shows.

Also got some parts that were correctly manufactured (EK D5 top and lots of drain ports):

[​IMG]

Bunch of fill ports:

[​IMG]

I also got done with the clearcoat on the radiator so I could finally take the masking tape off:

[​IMG]

Then I built a quick and dirty tap handle:

[​IMG]

We'll see how it works, I may have to buy one but thought I'd try this first.

I attached the D5 top to the res with a rotary male to male connector. There was about 3/8" gap between the mounting plate and the motherboard tray though, so I picked up a rubber table leg weight distributor that felt like it would be good for damping vibrations. It's just the right size to hide behind the mounting plate. I had to shave it down a bit though as it was more like 1/2":

[​IMG]

Here it is hiding:

[​IMG]

If it's visible from the window, I'll have to replace it, but I think it's good. Here it is with the plate bolted down lightly (the barb is temporary):

[​IMG]

Here it is mounted from the front:

[​IMG]

theJesus, HammerON, Aquinus and 2 others say thanks.
  4. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the nice update:toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. stren

Thanks Received:
    I made a review of the TX10. I hope it's helpful and that people like it. It's not exactly professional (iphone ftw) but I tried to do my best with what I had. To give you an idea of the scale of the case - I'm 6ft 5, so it's pretty big.

http://youtu.be/3a7kKKPs6J8

Let me know any feedback you have to improve it (or future videos). This case is a tough subject to review, simply because there are so many things to cover. I don't particularly like the ending, I'm thinking of adding on a real conclusion, but for all being one take I think it's decent :thumb:
    Stren!

6. ChaoticAtmosphere

ChaoticAtmosphere

Thanks Received:
    Subbed! OMG!!! :eek: I'm afraid to ask how much you're spending on this!!!! Nice stren!

7. stren

Thanks Received:
    Thanks dude - yeah me too. I try and avoid doing any math on it!

8. stren

Thanks Received:
    So I finally tidied up the house. For some reason the wife was unhappy with every available surface being covered with stuff. This means I can start processing some photos.

So I started off by putting together the workstation upgrade. My gaming rig can be down, but I still have to work, so that's the first priority. The workstation consists of two loops:

1. i7-3930K - Mora3 140x9 - Dual PMP450S (D5 Strong)

2. EK R4E full cover block - 2 EK ram blocks - EK 8800GT block - D5 Vario - EK 250 cylinder res

As most of loop 2 was done, I started work on loop 1. So I started off mounting the fans to the mora3. Here it is with the CaseLabs "Super Mount". There are four dedicated mounting points independent of the fans which is nice:

[​IMG]

This means you can just mount the fans to the supermount and not the radiator:

[​IMG]

This is useful for cleaning because you can just undo the four mounting screws between the supermount and the rad. I.E. You don't have to remove every single fan for cleaning. FYI the fans are low speed 140mm yates (700rpm). I chose these because I wanted something cheap and quiet, and yates are both of those when at 700rpm.

Here's the super mount with fans mounted placed on top of the rad:

[​IMG]

Then I attached the rad to the super mount:

[​IMG]

The only downside to this is a tiny gap between the fan and the rad. However it's small enough that I don't think it will cause a problem:

[​IMG]

Here it is mounted in the top of the case:

[​IMG]

I then attached the quick disconnects to the CPU block for loop 1. Originally they were going to attach to the case and then have compression fittings on the cpu block. However there wasn't enough room to make the 90 degree turn, so i think this works better:

[​IMG]

In the final setup I'll have some bitspower pass throughs that go to the top chamber. For now the tubing curves around to the drive bay area where the temporary reservoir and pumps are:

[​IMG]

Again you can see the pink vs red tube. Primochill have shipped me some replacement tube - so props to them for taking care of it.

9. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    mother of god...

theJesus says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    The motherboard seems a micro ATX inside that case :D

I like the idea of quick disconnects on the cpu, it's practical! Too bad they don't make black coloured quick disconnects.

Awesome job stren! :toast:

11. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    What loop will the top radiator be on? Do you have a diagram or what you have in mind for your finished loops? Great update to the log by the way. You should take a video of it with it running when you're done too.

12. stren

Thanks Received:
    :cool:

Thanks dude. Yeah Koolance doesn't think there is demand for black lol. Monsoon are looking into it, but nothing definite.

II think there should be a diagram on the first page although it's not 100% correct lol. There will definitely be vids :)

Here's another update:

So to build the workstation loop I also needed a rx360 rad from my gaming rig. So this meant that it was time to take the gaming rig apart. Here you can see it minus one fan that was clicking and had been removed. Yes you can cool 3 480's, a 920 and motherboard block with 5xAP15s but yes your water gets pretty warm lol.

[​IMG]

So once the radiators were removed, I could take some side by side pics with the new case:

[​IMG]

Yes the TX10 is huge!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So enough posing, it's time to take the guts apart:

[​IMG]

You can see how the window was hiding some messy wiring. I hadn't bothered to tidy and sleeve much after putting in the Koolance res and STX because the TX10 was already on the way.

Lots of dust to be cleaned, here you can see the "saddlebag" setup of the external rads

[​IMG]

About to take the fans and reservoir out:

[​IMG]

Top fan and PSU removed:

[​IMG]

Parts on the ground, parts on the ground looking like a fool with my parts on the ground!

[​IMG]

The STX is a sexy card:

[​IMG]

ChaoticAtmosphere and Cold Storm say thanks.
  13. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    Oh. My. God.

You, sir, are a madman. And I mean that in the best way ever imagined.

Salute!

14. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    You should get a beagle board or RaspberryPi or some development board and build yourself a controller for the entire box. That way you can hit a button, first your cooling powers up, sends back an OK, then fire your rigs up and if you have LED BIOS output headers you could send an OK back when the BIOS is done loading. Not that your rigs needs to be any more beastly than they already are. :p

15. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    my question is since you have everything water-cooled then why so you need all the fans?

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Heat exchangers use fans too. Water just moves the heat away from the CPU, something has to move heat away from the radiator and keep ambient temps low. Also note how almost all the fans are on a radiator.

17. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    ah ok, that was my hunch.

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. puff0086

puff0086 New Member

Thanks Received:
    awesome :D

19. Huddo93

Huddo93 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Holy crap, only once you put the other case next 2 it, did I really take full understanding of just how huge it is! Holy s**t!

20. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    You could fit a small child in it.

21. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    "Honey, have you seen our kids? Oh, nevermind - they're hiding in the server again..."

Aquinus and theJesus say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    sub

23. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    Fuck i just jizzed in my brain. Dude, since the first build, did you get like an apple ceo year bonus? I mean the wc gear is worth how much? 4k?

Nope, a bigass child(s) could fit there

Also should be named project barbarian, aint no thief big like that.
    This is D3 barbarian or Conan build

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  24. stren

Thanks Received:
    Haha thanks :)

Yeah I was thinking of a raspberry pi - at least for monitoring temps, fans and pumps etc

This is very true, you're just shifting heat around and spreading it out effectively, there will be a couple of fans that aren't on radiators just to keep airflow moving over the board and of course in the PSUs

:)

a couple of them :)

Yeah it's enormous. I was going to take it around the city and take photos of it next to things, but I can't fit in my car, so that's not going to happen haha.

lol

Lol that's a very good point! Yeah I try not to think of the cost! But yes the wc gear is a lot of money!

25. stren

Thanks Received:
    Alright so more photos taking the old rig apart - we left off by removing the pci cards and the power supply:

[​IMG]

So now let's remove the cpu block and check the tim spread:

[​IMG]

Not the best but not awful. Now time to take the motherboard out:

[​IMG]

Out it comes:

[​IMG]

Which leaves a sad empty and dusty case!

[​IMG]

Now it's time to take apart the rad setup:

[​IMG]

Remove the steel bars:

[​IMG]

Then the fans:

[​IMG]

I noticed one side of the rads now had white stains on them, these were the sides on the top:

[​IMG]

Compared side by side to the underside (bottom rad):

[​IMG]

Anyone know what that is?

ChaoticAtmosphere and Aquinus say thanks.