1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Projector For Screen?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Reventon, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Could anyone tell me how well a projector works for a screen? I really like the idea of this. I'm not really worried about it being dark in my room, just want to see all of your standpoints on it. I would sell my 19" screen most likely for money towards it. Thankfully I've found some cheap projectors, but I'm thinking it'd make a good birthday or Christmas present so I dont have to pay for the whole thing :D.

2. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    What kind of projector? I personally don't really like a screen that big less than 1080p, it's just too blurry now after seeing HD all the time. However, if you're not terribly concerned about PQ and just want something big, a basic SD projector can still offer a nice experience. In other words, I wouldn't, but I can see why you would.

3. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well there's some cheaper projectors that support 1080p. I would use it for gaming mostly. Just a basic projector is fine, nothing fancy.

4. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    By the way I'm planning on about a 72 inch display or so, I can't imagine it'd be too blurry.

5. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    You need a flat white wall as i understand, from what i have seen i'm not much for them there not clear enough for my liking.

However i know my brother loved his but he was not in to gaming at that point he just wanted a massive screen to work with. I have seen some bulbs for some of them and they were around $250-$300 to replace which is kinda nice knowing the chances are you can just order a new one without sending the whole unit back to the manufacturer or service area.

So make sure the bulb life time and how much they cost to before buying.

6. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    1920x1080 may look a bit blurry at 72" compared to a monitor, especially if you go with a cheap projector. What kind of screen do you plan on using?

7. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure about a screen yet. I may just have to use my wall :/

8. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I guess we're talking different kinds of cheap. Yeah I think it would be pretty nice for gaming. Coupled w/ a good surround sound set that should give you a great gaming experience.

9. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've got some pretty good speakers right now. 2 for front. But also have two more sitting in the garage that I could put on the sides or back.

10. LiNKiN

LiNKiN Staff

Thanks Received:
    The local group of buddies here have a projector that we break out for epic gaming or movie events. The most important thing you need is a high-gain screen. Just throwing the picture on the wall is subpar because the color reproduction is washy. Its great if your just gonna drink beer and play party games, but if you are serious about the overall experience and want the most out of it, you will have to spend a little money. A projector is only as good as the screen you are throwing the picture on. :toast:

11. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay. The projector is my first priority, then a screen will be something I get a little later if needed.

12. LiNKiN

LiNKiN Staff

Thanks Received:
    Any particular brands/models you are considering? Also something I was going to mention earlier, if you want to use a 72" image plan on being about 10 - 12 feet from it for it to look decent.

13. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm. What about 60 inches?

And I'm not sure which brands yet, possibly Digital Galaxy. I just want a basic one that's not too blury and will get the job done.

14. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Any other feedback?

15. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    Remember that you'll need to replace the bulb in the projector every so often. Replacement bulbs typically cost $150-$300 depending on the projector model.

16. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    +1 on the importance of using a quality screen rather than just a white wall. This is especially important if you cannot darken your room completely.

17. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm. I've seen some good videos on YouTube where they just use a white wall. Like I said before, a screen may have to be either something I get later or just skip out on it.

18. troyrae360

troyrae360 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i think if you look around, some places will throw the screen in for next to nuthing when you buy the projector :) im sure youll find a good deal somewere. i want one too, just for movies though

19. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't plan on using it for movies. Maybe videos, but not movies.

20. mrw1986

mrw1986

Thanks Received:
    I have a 720P Dell Projector on a 96" screen and it works flawlessly. Not blurry at all and gaming looks great. You need to get a screen with high gain if you're gonna be using it in a lit room. Also, look for how many Lumens the projector is. My projector has about 80% more Lumens than most in its range.

21. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think I may be only able to fit about 60 inches or so. And my room won't be lit much at all, at least no artificial light. I'm thinking something with like 2000 lumens or so, just depends.

Could you guys look at this thread I made in another forum I go on and tell me if the reasons they are giving me not to get a projector are legit? They sound so absurd in my opinion.

http://forums.ijji.com/showthread.php?t=503121

22. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It just depends. Things won't look as sharp as on a smaller monitor, that's for sure. It's up to personal preference eventually. I wouldn't want to use it for browsing and such, so I'd hold onto a small monitor for that. For games, although they won't look as sharp, imo the size of it will provide a more immersive experience anyway. I'd rather have a huge slightly blurry screen than a tiny sharp one. But only in games and movies, not so much w/ browsing. Definitely get 1080p though.

23. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    It looks like I have a maximum of about 65 inches or so, which means it wouldn't be TOO blurry anyway.

24. angelkiller

angelkiller

Thanks Received:
    I think it's kinda hard to judge video quality of a video that's already in a Youtube video....

The biggest thing I see is cost. These 'regular' projectors people use for powerpoints and stuff only display like 1074x768 and they cost like $600-1000. And those 1080p home theatere projectors run in the thousands....

Where are you finding one for $300? :confused:

25. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    eBay, most of the ones on eBay aren't over $1,000 most of the time. Some run 1080i, 1024x768.