1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Prolimatech Intros Megahalems Black Series CPU Heatsink

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Jun 27, 2011.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Prolimatech released a new variant of its iconic Megahalems CPU heatsink, called the Black Series Megahalems. With the same exact dimensions as the original at 130 x 158.7 x 74 mm (LxWxH), the new variant uses black colored aluminum fins. The coating doesn't make for a polished, glossy surface, but a grainy one, which increases surface area. The design remains the same: six nickel-plated copper heat pipes pass through a base, conveying heat to two aluminum fin stacks that are arranged along each arm of the U-shape the heat pipes make. The Black Series Megahalems is compatible with all the current CPU socket types, including AMD AM3+, AM3, AM2+, AM2; Intel LGA1155, LGA1156, LGA1366, and LGA775. The Prolimatech Megahalems Black Series is listed on Caseking.de for €54.90.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    WarEagleAU says thanks.
  2. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    Mega Shadow Rev. B?
  3. Trackr New Member

Thanks Received:
    No, don't paint it in black - work towards improving it!
  4. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    They did improve it. The Mega Rev. C came out recently (though I think it only changed the mounting set). Also this one has a porous surface which I would definitely like to see it action.
  5. Yellow&Nerdy?

Yellow&Nerdy?

Thanks Received:
    Wait, didn't they already have a black Megahalems? Doubt the "new coating" is going to increase performance much.
  6. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Mega Shadow has a blackish-glossy coating, and a polished surface on its fins. They stopped its manufacture.
  7. inferKNOX

inferKNOX

Thanks Received:
    This is just like my black beauty.
    Oh, how I love the Mega Shadow with a double helping of silver Enermax Apollish fans!:respect:
    Sigh... Prolimatech are way underrated IMHO.:ohwell:

I think they just really re-releasing more or less the same product to get into the press again. There's little need to improve on an already great design, IMHO.
  8. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd like to refer all the naysayers to Stefan-Boltzmann law (look it up), grey body radiation, and this list of emissitivities: http://www.omega.co.uk/literature/transactions/volume1/emissivitya.html#a

A black matte coated aluminium sheet fin (compared to shiny polished aluminium fin) will:

1./ We approximately twice at efficient at RADIATING heat
    2./ Will be more efficient at conducting heat to the air passed through it via the fan, due to more incident resistance (rough surface). Increased surface level turbulence helps heat transfer
    3./ Will have a slightly higher effective surface area due to roughness improving both RADIATION and CONDUCTION

How much will the overall difference be? I really don't know, and someone might have to do a practical experiment. The increased efficiency due to point 1 is mitigated by the fact that most heat on a cooler is via CONDUCTION to air rather than RADIATION, so overall the heatsink won't be twice as efficient, but it will be more efficient to some degree. I would always go for more-efficient at same price.

However, if it is only 5% more efficient then this may still be enough for:
    • slightly slower fan speeds and therefore quieter
    • same fan speeds but slightly lower temps improving CPU reliability

Looking at the list http://www.omega.co.uk/literature/transactions/volume1/emissivitya.html#n we see that certain steel alloys have great emissitivity. The problem is that they are often poor conductors. So within themselves, they dont conduct the heat away from the core very efficiently.

The right materials for a heatsink is a balance of thermal conduction characteristics, emissitivity, airflow design and of course ECONOMICS. You bet NASA has some interesting "CPU heatsinks" at a price that just aint printable! ;)
    gumpty says thanks.
  9. Thatguy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Did you know the the color black disppat more thermal energy then every other color in the spectrum, it radiates more heat then polished surfaces by a mile.
  10. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Does the kind of (black) paint used contribute to the results? Me thinks less paint = better. Another thing would be anodized.
  11. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Bad-Ass looking peice of hardware.
  12. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
    DO WANT!

When can I buy this because I WANTS IT NAO!
  13. Thatguy New Member

Thanks Received:
    anodizing presents a layer of aluminum oxid onto the part, which makes it less thermally conductive.
  14. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    Did i see a copy off xigmatic cooler here?
  15. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Probably the other way round, Megas has been around since Xigmatek was still using circular style coolers.
    Makaveli says thanks.
  16. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If it was a Xig ripoff it would be a HDT cooler base;)

On topic, way to flog a dead horse Prolimatech! :D
  17. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    In theory, yes. In practice, that layer is so thin that it wont affect thermal transfer to air. Actually, if the anodizing "roughens" the surface, it could improve
  18. Thatguy New Member

Thanks Received:
    its not a thoery.
  19. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm going to call you on that, Thatguy. I don't believe you will be able to find any company or scientific research to back you up. Don't confuse anodizing with painting.
  20. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    basically its the same. they coat the steel but anodyze is better coz it can pretty thin so it wouldnt affect the heat transfer than paint which makes additional layer that may decrease its performance
  21. Makaveli

Thanks Received:
    I'm taking a stab in the dark here but i'm pretty sure the TRUE black edition was out before any of these!
  22. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received: