1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Prolonging the battery life of a laptop

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by WhiteLotus, Feb 20, 2009.

1. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    So, my laptop (sony VAIO NS series - exact model number is PCG-7144M). I want to extend the battery life for as long as possible. I have already reduced the the brightness of the screen and i got around half an hour with that. But any other things that i can do?

It also has vista, now many people claim that it is bogged down etc etc What could i disable or strip out of it to up the battery life, and also as another idea, would Ubuntu (maybe it being a lighter OS to use?) give more me battery life?

All ideas welcome!
  2. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Ubuntu would... underclocking both CPU and GPU would... underclocking ram would... and YES these are possible on most laptops... but I wouldn't go Ubuntu, to much trouble... just get XP SP3 32bit and you are fine... taking out unused processes would too... go in control panel, administrative tools, computer management, services & apps, services... PM me if you want a link to tell you which services do what and what is safe to turn off
  3. kiriakost

kiriakost New Member

Thanks Received:
    If it was an ACER i would possibly help more .. :)

Generally by turning off , WiFi - BT - LAN , is all that you can do.
  4. The Haunted

Thanks Received:
    Disable file indexing and system restore, this will reduce hard drive activity a lot.
  5. Error 404

Error 404 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Vista actually gets more battery life on modern laptops compared to XP, so if you have Vista stick with it.
    If you wanted to get into the hardware hacking scene, you could replace your laptop's backlight with an LED backlight (unless its already LED), which would save more power.
    You could replace the HDD with a Compact Flash based SSD, boosting performance and saving power, and use the HDD in an enclosure for a portable hard drive.
    If you're going to use a different OS, go for Linux Mint, its as good as, if not better, than Ubuntu, and installing drivers with it is a cinch.
    Don't forget to utilise Vista's power options.
    Another thing you could do is have a look at various ways of optimising Vista; treat it like its running on an old slow laptop, cut it down, make it lean and fast; it will run faster and use less power.
  6. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Use the options in Vista and put everything to like maximum power saving.
  7. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    I must disagree about vista having better battery life... Vista uses many unnecessary processes and services compared to XP, and XP is much more customizable for prolonging battery life... Also, I believe He wouldn't want to buy expensive thing to get 10 more minutes of battery life lol...

P.S: sry about not being able to send you the link yet... I'm actually in the process of trying to make a guide... but I just arrived back home so I couldn't tell you this earlier... If I could put together a good guide it would be great! in the meantime I'll send you the links by tomorow
  8. Dogmeat New Member

Thanks Received:
    I second Linux Mint.

Vista gave my Compaq 2.5 hours of battery, Linux Mint allowed 50% more!
  9. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    Look in the BIOS. There are different settings for HDDs to reduce power consumption in some laptops.
  10. Error 404

Error 404 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I'm only going on what I've heard, and my laptop managed to get more battery life when it had Vista compared to XP (and then the battery died).

I would really recommend Linux Mint, its a great OS.
  11. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    I've always had a bad experience with linux... but then again, he probably won't be gaming, and web browsing and word on my ps3 with linux is quite good... I would still go XP SP3 32bit... or even MicroXP... That'll save you a hell lot of disk usage etc... GREAT OS... though it is illegal if you don't have a legal copy of XP, which you do have

use google :p