1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Proposed ANWR drilling site.

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by mlupple, Sep 5, 2008.

1. mlupple

mlupple New Member

Thanks Received:
  2. Ongaku New Member

Thanks Received:
    they need to stop drilling for more oil and focus on hydrogen and electric power for everything...
  3. sttubs

sttubs

Thanks Received:
    Yup, and there are not too many animals around that area either.
  4. mlupple

mlupple New Member

Thanks Received:
    How long would it take to get every person who drives a gasoline powered car to buy a brand new $30,000 hydrogen car (without ability to sell/trade their gas-car, since they'd be worthless), AND build the infrastructure? 20 years minimum? So you think giving almost a trillion dollars per year to Iran, Saudi Arabia, Russia, Venezuela, Dubai for the next 20 years is a good idea?

Good plan, chief...

In the meanwhile, China is drilling 60 miles off the coast of Florida tapping oil sources that we won't. If it's going to get tapped anyway by another country, why should we trust China and their safety regulations over ours? Think 'lead paint'.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  5. sttubs

sttubs

Thanks Received:
    That is a good long term goal 10+ years from now. Currently though, we need to drill our own for a more immediate answer, meaning it would likely affect our own economy in 3-5 years.
  6. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    We have our own. The US is just stock piling it.
  7. mlupple

mlupple New Member

Thanks Received:
    We have enough in the Petroleum Reserve to last our country 2 days maximum in the event all foreign oil sources were cut off. We have our own in the ground, we're not getting it because of environmentalists who have absolutely ZERO concept of economics. The only countries with economies growing faster than ours right now are countries that produce oil. Japan, Europe are all experiencing slow economies due to the price of oil.
  8. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    *buzzer* wrong. Weve been preserving oil from Alaska and Texas since day one in the event all foreign oil sources get cut off. Its alot more than you think.
    SK-1 says thanks.
  9. mlupple

mlupple New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I was wrong about it lasting us 2 days.

n

The Strategic Petroleum Reserve is actual pumped oil. We have land reserves that aren't being tapped.

Believe me, I want hydrogen cars, but we need to use our own oil during the transition. We're giving our country away to our enemies. Thanks a lot dems.
    SK-1 says thanks.
  10. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It wastes more energy to create hydrogen then it would to have a gasoline powered car. In order to make electricity you need to create the electricity first. What we need are faster bicycles.
  11. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    that's it I'm going back to horses, good for the environment, can go pretty quick considering, and you can trian them to kick anyone who tries to steal it.
  12. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Plus you can eat them.
    mlupple says thanks.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  13. mlupple

mlupple New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hydrogen is possible, but we need a massive, clean energy source to produce it: Nuclear. Of course you lose about 30% efficiency, if USA went Nuke, Solar, Wind, with Hydrogenated cars, we'd only put out CO2 from breathing.
  14. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Put a reactor offshore underwater, use seawater for the third loop cooling so there is no contamination, distill the third loop water/steam and pipe that to land for use, send excess electricity in, and use some to generate hydrogen/oxygen. Pure oxygen reformed into Ozone and let that escape to help repair the atmosphere.

Waste could be stored in the same mines it was extracted from.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  15. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ozone outside of the ozone layer is considered a pollutant because it irritates the respiratory system.
  16. Castiel

Castiel

Thanks Received:
    Have anyone been here in Texas lately! Besides you Cory, but there is Rigs everywhere! There is more Oil Rigs here in Texas than Hospitals! If you cant find a job anywhere just walk up to a rig and ask for a job and you will possibly get it, if your not a pussy. And there not allowing us to drill in Alaska because they don't want us to harm the animals. And!- There is acres of oil sand $hit all up in Canada. There is like just one big land of sand that has oil in it. It is easy to get the oil and they don't want to tap into that for some reasons, and they said that that one area can hold up the world with oil for 100 years. All that comes from my Economics class from high school....:D
  17. mlupple

mlupple New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dude, you are a bright thinker! This is a fabulous idea.

As far as storing the waste in the mines they were extracted from, I don't think that's a good idea. Just store them in yucca mountain, a place designed to store the waste. The issue is with trucking the waste across the nation, which I see no problem with anyway considering how impossible it would be to crack the capsules carrying the waste. By the way, I live in Nevada. Nevada is barren and is a safe place to store the waste.

Ozone is O3. This would be releasing O1 (single oxygen atoms) which binds together naturally crating O2. O3 is not created through separating water.
  18. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    even if we stop using oil in our cars, what else are you willing to part with?

plastic, paint, makeup, ect?

can you live without all of that, because its all petrolum based 99% of the time.
  19. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    Yea, but Paris Hilton said we should keep drilling until we transition to alternative sources.;)
  20. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    This is very true, but it is not the sweet crude that is most desirable, it is a bitch to get to and needs much more refining to be a viable product. Still a very good point.
  21. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    Did you come up with this idea on your own? Damn good one.
  22. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    That's something people forget about quite a bit. Oil is used to make many many vital products and we mostly just burn it. For that sake alone we need to find another fuel source for cars and power plants before we lose all those ready made hydrocarbon chains.
  23. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    I do not want to get political (god I cant wait till this election is over) but I never believed the right wing blow-hard's when they claimed the dems stopped as much energy development/exploration as they always have stated. But, after only a few minutes at the governments voting site, it looks to be true:mad:
    From trying to get new refineries built, to exploration of new oil drilling, and the one that REALLY has killed us, the constant vote after vote against Nuclear power reactors.
    Look at the French, they have as screwed up a government as us, but at least they provide almost all of their OWN energy.:toast: They are building them in a "cookie-cutter" fashion so if a problem develops with one, the porblem is addressed with all of the other ones to be pro- active.
  24. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i don't disagree at all there,
  25. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    On the description on Google earth, it says..ANWR proposed exploration site,..2000 acers out of 19 MILLION:twitch:
    I feel even more pissed at this place not being explored now:mad:
    mlupple says thanks.