• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Protecting files on a USB stick?

Havoc

System Name Jemima
Processor Pentium Core 2 Duo E4300 Allendale
Motherboard Abit IP35 Pro
Cooling Custom Built Water Cooling, Utilising a Small Lake
Memory 2GB Dominator DDR2 800Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI X1950Pro 256MB
Storage 120GB Seagate Barracuda + 320GB Maxtor DiamondMax
Display(s) Advent 17" CRT + GNR 15" LCD
Case Coolermaster Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 550W
Hi all,

Probably a bit of a strange request this, but does anyone know how secure files on a usb stick?

I have created a programme that runs entirely off a USB stick and I don't want people to be able to steal it, essentially. I have read in some places that it is possible to make the drive write-protected, does anybody have any experience with doing this?

I have created the program on the USB rather than a CD as it needs to be able to write to the stick rather than just read from it. I've found this to be a bit of an issue on the copy protection front also.

Essentially I want people to still be able to use my prog, but unable to copy the files across to another USB so they can use it. Anyone have any bright ideas?

temp02

Sorry but on a regular flash drive that can not be done, the write protect thing is the same as read-only, so people can still copy the contents over to another location if they wish to do so.
What you want is some kind of copy protection DRM like there is on optical medias (CDs, DVDs, etc.), something along the lines of SecuROM.
Remember, if it can be read without any additional tools/programs, it can be copied.

Hi all,

Probably a bit of a strange request this, but does anyone know how secure files on a usb stick?

I have created a programme that runs entirely off a USB stick and I don't want people to be able to steal it, essentially. I have read in some places that it is possible to make the drive write-protected, does anybody have any experience with doing this?

I have created the program on the USB rather than a CD as it needs to be able to write to the stick rather than just read from it. I've found this to be a bit of an issue on the copy protection front also.

Essentially I want people to still be able to use my prog, but unable to copy the files across to another USB so they can use it. Anyone have any bright ideas?

KISS

All you need to do is restrict access to the folder that contains the files. If only you can read/modify the files then they can't copy them. This should also allow you to use the program, as shortcuts will allow the program to be ran.

Havoc

System Name Jemima
Case Coolermaster Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 550W
er... Kiss to you too.

I'm game for the restricting access idea, if it could be done then maybe that has legs. Just... in effect make them hidden folders, but actually making them hidden would be far too easy to crack open.

And yeah temp. I'd agree with you usually, this sort of thing isn't really too obvious. At the end of the day you usually use a USB stick for transferring data between two computers, so it's an intrinsical functionality of the device that I am trying to inhibit. :(

er... Kiss to you too.

I'm game for the restricting access idea, if it could be done then maybe that has legs. Just... in effect make them hidden folders, but actually making them hidden would be far too easy to crack open.

And yeah temp. I'd agree with you usually, this sort of thing isn't really too obvious. At the end of the day you usually use a USB stick for transferring data between two computers, so it's an intrinsical functionality of the device that I am trying to inhibit. :(

KISS is an acronym.
Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

If you're dealing with decently intelligent users then a 3rd party DRM is pretty much the only way to make this secure. If you're dealing with unskilled users then hide the folder. There are more convoluted solutions (key file with true crypt, program access on a remote server with usb only containing key file to access it, etc..), but keeping it simple would be in your best interests.

My apologies, looking back on it I should have added periods between the letters. Oops.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Even if you restrict access to read only, they can still copy the program. Read access is all copy needs.

My suggestion for simplicity is to create a small file on the drive and mark it hidden as well as marking it a system file, so even if they turn hidden files on the file won't show up. Put this file in a separate folder that is also marked as system, name the folder something random and windows important sounding. So even if they do find it, they won't know what it is and should ignore it. Then make the main program check for the file on execution and exit if the file isn't on the flash drive.

This should fool 90% of people unless they are pretty computer literate.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG X570S Tomahawk Max WiFi
Cooling EK Supremacy EVO Elite + EK D5 + EK 420 Rad, TT Toughfan 140x3, TT Toughfan 120x2, Arctic slim 120
Memory 32GB GSkill DDR4-3600 (F4-3600C16-8GVKC)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Radeon RX 7900XTX Gaming OC
Storage WDBlack SN850X 4TB, Samsung 950Pro 512GB, Samsung 850EVO 500GB, 6TB WDRed, 36TB NAS, 8TB Lancache
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z (1440P 144Hz, TN, Freesync) & 2x ASUS VE248
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Audio Device(s) Topping D50S + THX AAA 789, TH-X00 w/ V-Moda Boompro; 7Hz Timeless
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Sharkoon Fireglider optical
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro

Havoc

System Name Jemima
Case Coolermaster Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 550W
Awh, damn. There was me thinking you were up for getting cosy. :(

Yeah, I notice the issue between making things writable or copy-able; Windows seems to deem them the same thing for my purposes. Still, thanks for your efforts chaps.

The system file idea is an interesting one, and it'd probably work too. I'll look closer into it and see how tenable it is. I also need to look a bit closer at truecrypt. As I understand it, if the USB stick was encrypted, then became decrypted it'd work just like a regular one and everything would be vulnerable to copying...

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you have a version of Windows 7 that has BitLocker?
BitLocker is only available in the Windows 7 Ultimate and Enterprise editions.

Here are some web sited that explain it:

Quote from WindowsNetworking.com:

BitLocker to Go

Perhaps the most significant new BitLocker feature is BitLocker to Go. BitLocker to Go makes it possible to encrypt removable storage devices, such as USB flash drives. That way, if the removable media is lost or stolen, the data that it contains will not be compromised.

As you would probably expect, BitLocker encryption is not enabled by default for USB flash drives. However, BitLocker encryption can be enabled either by an administrator (via group policy settings) or by an end user.

What is nice is that Microsoft has made it really easy for an end user to enable BitLocker encryption. BitLocker functionality is now integrated directly into Windows Explorer. This means that if an end user wants to enable BitLocker encryption for a USB device, they do not have to fumble with the Control Panel, looking for the correct setting.

Another: Encrypt Removable USB Flash Drives with BitLocker @ Tweaks.com

And, Secure your USB drives with BitLocker To Go for Windows 7 @ TechRepublic

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I don't think encryption will work. From the sounds of it, he will be giving this to other people and they have to be able to access what is on the stick. So encryption isn't an option, as they would just decrypt the drive when they access the data and could then copy everything off of it and steal the program.

Havoc

System Name Jemima
Case Coolermaster Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 550W
Yeah, I've thought about encryption and you're right newtekie. I forsee that being an definite problem. I'm currently exploring the idea based on the system file and hopefully I'll have some success with that.

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.8GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte X48T-DQ6
Cooling Zalman 9500 LED CPU Cooler
Memory 2x 2GB Corsair DDR3 XMS3 DHX - 1600MH/PC3-12800
Video Card(s) Gigabyte HD4870 1GB
Storage 2x Seagate 320GB Barracuda (RAID 0) 3x 1TB Samsung F3, 140GB WD Maxtor (10,000rpm)
Display(s) 2x 20" LG Flatron L204WS
Power Supply Powercool 850W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64