1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

prove it why to use ur card for video editing card?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by VideoEditor, Jul 16, 2006.

1. VideoEditor New Member

Thanks Received:
    the card will be used for video editing and movie creation, as a professional business.

Matrox are so expensive .... our budget is 300$ max

is it possible to have two DVI output ports? to operate two montiors?

can we use single DVI to work with dual montiors? does the technology supports this? in RGB it does not, you have to get a single port for each monitor .... sorry for this stupid question but I just wanna double check it is not possible to have two outputs from single DVI.

memory should not be less than 128MB & PCI-E 16x ... i guess most cards have this normally

video in & out ports are so welcomed, specially digital ports, it will help a lot

we got sooooo confused and hassled by those so huge variety of offerings in the market ... it's almost impossible to memorize each card differentiator ... :banghead:

2. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    i suggest you look into your options here these should provide all u need to know and help you pick which would best suit your needs all tho depending on video editing you doing you may not need a fire gl or quadro card a normal card may just work i realy dont know much about this

Nividia's Quadro line of cards : http://www.nvidia.com/page/quadrofx_family.html

Ati's Fire GL line of cards : http://www.ati.com/products/firegl.html

3. VideoEditor New Member

Thanks Received:
    Also want to mention we will use a single 16X PCI-E slot, meaning the motherboard we will use must have only 1 slot PCI-E 16x slot, not dual or anything expensive ... this is a rule we restricted our selve into to minimize the overall cost.

4. bigboi86

bigboi86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You can run dual monitors if you have dual DVI ports, I don't think it's possible to run dual monitors on one port though.

I've personally never had any problems with any video cards I've ever had, and I know the professional cards aren't much different than the regular gaming cards, so I don't really know what to reccomend besides the Quadro Nvidia line or FireGL ATI line of video cards like posted above.

Hell it sounds badass? lol

5. VideoEditor New Member

Thanks Received:
    will these cards be fast 16x speed?

..... heeeelll it does !! hehe ! .......

well, i run over a lineup check on Quadro models, they are brilliant, but WOOOOOW the price rocks my head out ! .. its 700 600 500 plus prices ... I would get play station rather beside a normal card :rolleyes:

anyway, I just wanted to double check with you experts, i noticed technical description for each card says 16X speed, but having second look: they are talk about which bus does this card works with ! like "Graphics Bus" or "Graphics Interface" ......

well we all know the best buses are 16X indeed ... the question: will this card work at this speed? I don't want to pay extra for a card works on 8X speed or 4x .. i want the max from the card AND the bus.

having no way but to lower my hopes to Quadro mid range, FX1500 & FX1400 looks excellent although prices are still hi ... are they x16 speed? check the attachement HERE

6. VideoEditor New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nvidia says:
    Supported Operating Systems
    • Microsoft® Windows® XP (64-bit and 32-bit)
    • Microsoft Windows 2000 (32-bit)
    • L inux® - Full OpenGL® implementation,
    complete with NVIDIA and ARB extensions
    (64-bit and 32-bit)
    • AMD64, Intel EM64T

The question: Does it work with Pentium D?

7. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    FireGL and Quaddro are for 3d rendering and design, not video editing. You would be better off with a Geforce 7 or X1800/X1900 series card.

8. VideoEditor New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry ... i read Intel Penitum D datasheet, it is built using Intel Extended Memory 64 Technology (Intel EM64T) ..... so it is support ..

sorry for the trouble .. back to previous question about 16x speed

9. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Well, you might be able to get away with a gamers model, depending on the type of video editing you're doing. If you're going to be running things like Maya, and are generally going to be running 3D programs, you'll definitely be wanting to look at FireGL and Quaddro. If you're planning on running professinal applications like Adobe Final Cut Pro, and be dealing with film editing, then you'll probably be wanting to look at a stonger CPU and more memory before a graphics processor (I could be wrong...last time I checked a GPU was really strong in 3D rather then 2D videos.). Here is something I think will serve you well for professional film editing, with some fancy featuers like HDCP and SM3, and here is a search of everything that's in your parameters. Just make sure to have a very fast CPU and PLENTY OF SYSTEM MEMORY! You'll probably be harnessing the power of that before the graphics processor.

10. VideoEditor New Member

Thanks Received:
    are they old or what?

Aren't these cards listed in newegg equipped with successor models of nvidia and ATI chipsets? ....... i donno but the names are not available in their vendors website, and maybe discontinued ... is it Okay to buy them? aren't their performance are old and not in pace with today's offerings?

what is your advice?

11. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    All but four of those cards are current generation, and the others are from a very competitive previous generation. All (excluding the cheap X700) have 2 DVI ports, VIVO, plenty of performance, and the Nvidia one I pointed out to you from the current generation has plenty of features you'll love like HDCP encoding. Oh yeah and you didn't answer my question...what KIND of video editing will you be doing? 3D editing will need something like a Quaddro or a FireGL, and Film editing won't need the strongest GPU, but will need a strong CPU and lots of system memory.

12. VideoEditor New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for your kind support Zekrahminator ...... :) ..... so valuable information for an eight star member .... ;)

my brother is the video guy who do the work, i'm more into hardware and building up the system. He uses acrobat software and others, but not 3D max since he don't depend on it. the output of his work are video arts for his clients, depends on their biz (education, trade, telco, tourism, .. etc).

your point is so important, whether strong GPU is needed or not. We'll use Pentium D 940 (3.2GHz) + 2GB DDR2 667 memories, is that enough?

13. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Plenty :). Here is the 7600GT I pointed out to you earlier, it will serve you well. My friend is a video editing professional, and was going to get a build through me. However, Mac had an uber-sale, which would get him all the professional software free with his mac. I bet they pirated it all :laugh:...but that's beside the point. Have fun with your new system, it will definitely fly through video editing.

14. i_am_mustang_man New Member

Thanks Received:
    duude! you should have asked like 3 weeks ago! i just sold 2 nvidia quadro 1400 for $225 each! those are great cards for video and CAD too. btw, you can use two monitors with one port using the matrox triplehead2go (and i think there's a doublehead2go as well)