1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PS3 Helps Folding@Home Project to a Petaflop

Discussion in 'News' started by Jimmy 2004, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The Folding@Home project has now managed to exceed one petaflop of processing power, thanks largely to the introduction of Sony’s PlayStation 3 console last year. The project is currently operating at 1152 teraflops, with 889 teraflops being contributed by the PS3 and Windows based machines being closest competitor with just 164 teraflops. This means that over three-quarters of the processing power for Folding@Home is being provided by the PS3 due to the console’s Cell Broadband Engine. Vijay Pande, Associate Professor of Chemistry at Stanford University said the following:
    The Folding@Home project runs simulations in protein folding, which are helping scientists work towards cures for illnesses such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and certain forms of cancer. If you want to contribute to the project, you should take a look at the Folding@Home website and techPowerUp!’s Folding@Home team – all it requires is an internet connection and your idle processing power.

Source: DailyTech

2. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke

Thanks Received:
    Yay for F@H! This makes me want to start folding again... ah hell, I'll do it.

3. substance90

substance90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    they don`t mention that dual-core windows machines do the most complex proteins ;) I fold all the time when I`m not busy on my Intel C2D. Makes me feel better thinking that these stuff might help save lives some day.

4. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Wow, that is awesome. I wonder if they have made any progress on any of this? I fold on my pc and on my ps3

5. Seany1212

Seany1212

Thanks Received:
    Is it supposed to be incredibly slow? Me being a n00b to this i dont know what to expect but using an x2 3800+ is it ok to only have completed 150,000 out of 5,000,000 after6 hours? :wtf:

6. Helvetica New Member

Thanks Received:
    I wonder if folding at home has EVER contributed to medical science in any way. The reason there's so much F@H activity on the PS3 is because there's absolutely nothing to do. Once FF13 is released, F@H on the PS3 will be reduced to 0 flops.

7. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yep... it's pretty slow AFAIK - haven't used it for a while though.

8. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    http://folding.stanford.edu/results.html for those who want to know how folding has contributed to science, remember that this stuff is very hard and complex, and even with so much power, it still takes time, and they have to piece together all the projects and see if there is anything there, and many times its not there, so you know...

9. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    Doesnt folding leech bandwidth?

If the work units are large, Id probably go over my monthly quota.

10. Fuse-Wire

Fuse-Wire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Scotland, Far away from normality as possible
    great news, at last the ps3 has a use!! its a bit of a bugger that i cant get F@H working cos im on the old mans pc with minimal leeway!! awell there has to be a way pass the admin block to install it, also because i want to submit some HWbot scores!!