1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PS3 - Speaker question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by RaZzZz, Feb 22, 2010.

1. RaZzZz

RaZzZz

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys ^^

Just wondering if there is any way to connect my Logitech Speakers to the PS3 slim?? I haven't bought the slim yet as I want to make sure it'll work well with my PC :) so yeah is there any way to connect speakers to the slim? xD
  2. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    what logitech speakers are they?
  3. RaZzZz

RaZzZz

Thanks Received:
  4. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    well it (the speakers) doesn't have optical in (which would make it easy) - what you'd need is to use the standard def composite cables for the ps3 and take the red+white cables from that. You'd need to buy a 2xrca to 3.5mm jack adapter which will let you plug the red and white audio cables from the ps3 into the 3.5mm jack in your speakers to get the sound. I don't know if that will work if you use the hdmi for video though - may be worth a quick google.

**edit**

the adapter cabe is as little as £2 http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?oe=UTF-8&q=rca+to+3.5mm+adapter&cid=13408384464493516448&sa=title#p
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
    RaZzZz says thanks.
  5. RaZzZz

RaZzZz

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the reply ^^

but I do not know where I could plug that little cable into?? the speakers itself? I see nothing on them for any cable to fit into :\
  6. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    from what i read online there should be a headphone input - use that :)
  7. RaZzZz

RaZzZz

Thanks Received:
    ohhhh the headphone jack :eek: ahhhh shmart you are xD so basically I slot the black one into that? and what exactly slots into the red an white ones? :eek: the red and green jacks that come from PS3 itself??
  8. RaZzZz

RaZzZz

Thanks Received:
    Red an white I should say :p
  9. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    you'd take the red and white cables from the ps3 composite cables (red, white and yellow) - put the red+white from that into the adapter i linked above then put the adapter into your headphone jack. You can then leave it plugged into your pc through the cables on the subwoofer so you can use it for either the ps3 or pc easily. You can always plug the adapter into the port in the subwoofer that your pc is currently using if you didn't want to plug the PC into the speakers at the same time, but the headphone jack should be fine to use if you want both plugged in.

The only thing i'm not 100% sure on is if you wanted to play the ps3 in high def you would need to use the hdmi cable - i don't know if the red+white audio cables will work if you are using hdmi - i'm guessing they will, but i can't be certain.
    RaZzZz says thanks.
  10. RaZzZz

RaZzZz

Thanks Received:
    grand xD thanks for the help lad :) I will figure that HDMI cable issue out when the time comes :) if it works or not it won't be really a big deal :p I can always sort that out another time :)

right! time to head out an search for my PS3 Slim :p cheers ^^
  11. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    you're basically grabbing the speaker output for the old TV's, and converting it to a headphone jack.
  12. RaZzZz

RaZzZz

Thanks Received:
    pleh this didn't work :\ no sound what-so-ever :(
  13. Snake05

Snake05 New Member

Thanks Received:
    From what I understand, you are trying to input the sound into the headphone jack, which is an output only jack. You need to get a splitter and use the same green connector cable that is plugged into the computer, and plug this new one into the other jack on the splitter. Just make sure not to try and use sound from the pc and ps3 at the same time, things can get fuzzy. You should be able to change the audio output to use the stereo out.
    Do not know if there is a cheaper option, but I use this which takes multiple optical devices and analogue ones, and outputs for a 5.1/7.1 system using 3.5mm jacks.
  14. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    grr darn - have you tried the adapter in the back of your subwoofer (where your pc plugs into it?)
  15. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    from the pics, his adapter is serial on the subwoofer. that hooks to the speaker, which goes stereo 3.6mm into the pc.

what you would need is an RCA->stereo3.6mm adapter. they can be had at radioshack for under $20 i would think. or any other electronics place. they come with car stereos, ipod kits, digital cameras, etc - in case you have one lying around.

what it would do is take the red and/or white wires from your ps3 component cable in one end, and the stereo3.6mm jack from your speakers in the other. it might have the rca(red/white)cable integrated, or the stereo cable integrated (and not a jack), for that you would need an inverse adapter to turn it into a jack. they should have those too, for a few bucks.

I think maybe, if you have an old cd player/ receiver with RCA(red/white) inputs and a headphone jack, it might do what you need. it will DEFINITELY degrade quality though, and is not recommended.
  16. RaZzZz

RaZzZz

Thanks Received:
    well the pc doesn't plug into the woofer, all the speakers have is that one green 3.5mm plug in thingy that I plug into the PC.. im thinkin ill need to connect that up with the PS3's rca cable? maybe if I plug in the red and white plugs into the rca audio y cable an then plug the black one into a female/female converter an just slot the green one into the other end? surely this will work??
  17. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The way I did it was to use HDMI to Tv, and then sound out from TV to a Logitech X230.