1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PS3 Yellow Dog Questions

Discussion in 'Linux / BSD / Mac OS X' started by OrbitzXT, Feb 10, 2008.

1. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I finally got Linux working on my PS3, I'm using it right now and its fairly good I suppose. I've got it running at 1080p on my 32" HDTV. It looks though like how my computer did at first when I first setup the computer to my HDTV. The problem was underscanning and I was able to fix that for the computer in ATI's CCC. I have no idea how to fix underscanning in YDL on the PS3. Is there a way? Right now the HDTV is on dot by dot and Linux is on 1080p...video setting #5 I believe.

Also, I'm a real Linux noob, so is there a way to boot into Linux faster? I'm not so concerned about security. Right now I have to wait for all these things to load, type root, my password, then init 5. Then when the graphics load it wants me to type root again, then my password again. Is there a faster way to make it more automated?
  2. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I figured out the underscanning thing, I had to change kboot.conf to video mode 133 instead of 5. It works great, now if I could just get bootup to be a little more automated that would be swell.
  3. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Yellow Dog v6.0 just came out for the PS3, and will preinstalled on the new PS3 models coming out. I would suggest getting to know the OS for now, and install the updated version in one month.
  4. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    What is the difference between 5.whatever and 6? Right now I have this working as I want, I can manage to do my basic things such as chatting on AIM, browsing the web like I am right now. Is there anyway to get flash working on PS3? I really miss por.....n....na....nature videos, like nature videos late at night when I have nothing else to do.
  5. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Nature videos? Hehe that came out of no where...Lots of differences, and it will be optimized for the PS3... Look up some update notes on google.
  6. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do you know if there is any way for me to play poker using YDL? I love to play online poker but now that I only use my PS3 to go online I'm not sure if I can play. I use both Full Tilt Poker and Absolute Poker. I was able to play at a friend's house who has Ubuntu on his computer. I think he had to use a Virtual something or something...I really don't know Linux very well at all and don't know what he did. He's away in Greece right now or I'd bother him.
  7. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
  8. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Bah too confusing, I don't know how to install things on Linux =/ Like I said, I'm a huge Linux noob. I don't even know which distro to use.
  9. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Wine won't work on the ps3. Wine only runs on x86 cpus. PS3 uses PPC64 distros.
  10. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    really? sony will preinstall YDL on all the new ps3s ??????????
  11. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Yeah on the 120gb, I've been reading it everywhere.
  12. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
  13. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    That's not what's being said. What's being said is that Sony PLANS to ship YDL preloaded with the new models coming out (3 new PS3 SKUS, at least one is expected to get YDL preloaded).