1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PSP2 as powerful as PS3 (claims SONY)

Discussion in 'Games' started by HookeyStreet, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    i'm not saying it is not possible, i am saying that this quote is most likely taken out of context.
  2. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    probably it was rhino im just stating that if its as powerfull as a PS3 dosent mean its gonna use PS3 hardware to do it :toast: thats the key here theres lots of hardware to pick from Sony dosent have to magically use the same stuff for a handheld
  3. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    so why cant this be done

think of this AMD fusion chip used 1ghz cpu+HD6310 GPU could easily be 100% passive in a phone sized package.
  4. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    when your talking about cpu's with different architectures you can't even compare them in terms of Ghz, can you compare a pentium 4 to a core i5 with one core in terms of Ghz, course not, and its the ease of using the cpu and for the PS3 its not easy to develop for, we more than likely never see its CPU used 100% in most titles.

not even getting started on the gpu
  5. alucasa

alucasa

Thanks Received:
    Our CPUs we use in our systems are for general purpose. Specialized cpu for a very specific purpose is vastly different from all purpose CPU. And Ghz for specialized cpu is completely different in scale.

A good example is emulators for PS2 games on PC. You need at least dual-core 3.0 Ghz to be able to emulate PS2 games on PC with acceptable framerate, but the cpu spec for PS2 is really low compared to our general purpose cpu. That's the difference between a general purpose and a specialized cpu.
  6. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I never said anything about the screen on the PSP2 being 720p. I said 1080p output
    is important, not 1080p rendering or a 1080p screen on the actual device. The actual games can be rendered at 854x480 and upscaled and no one would really notice or care. The screen can be the same 854x480.

Oh I agree, but I don't think it would be all that impossible to get close to the original Cell performance in a handheld form factor.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  7. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I think if they used even low end desktop technology of today in the PSP2, and games are coded specifically to run on that, they could quite easily equal the PS3's visual prowess, something like a GT430/GT240 or HD5570 rough amount of power, perhaps even less could suffice well if the coding does it any kindness.

lets hope the screen is native 720p and games actually run at that :)
  8. sliderider New Member

Thanks Received:
    As far as the resolution goes, with such a small screen you don't need as much resolution to look good. The reviews that I read before I bought mine said that the PSP had about the same resolution as a VHS tape (about 333x480 equivalent) but on that small screen it looks a lot better because your eye can't easily distinguish the pixels on a screen that small. I still remember when I first got Ridge Racer and thinking it looked like a PS2 game even though I'm sure the CPU and graphics power are less than a PS2. It looked a helluva lot better than GT Advance on my GBA where you could see the pixels and there was no AA used. It looked horrible. It also looked a helluva lot better than GT and GT2 on the original Playstation. So now it's just over 6 years since the original PSP release so why can't they make a new one that feels like a handheld PS3? They don't necessarily have to downsize the actual PS3 hardware to get results with a similar feel, just like the original PSP feels like a portable PS2 without using the actual PS2 hardware. Nobody is going to be making a handheld 1080p screen that's affordable any time soon, but they don't have to at that size and the CPU and video chip don't have to be as powerful as a console or PC that would drive such a screen. The Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 could be a possible screen donor. It has a resolution of 854 x 480. They'd only have to put the LCD into landscape mode instead of portrait for a handheld with an acceptably high resolution. Some ultra mobile PC's use a 1024 x 576 screen, like the Wibrain B1.

[​IMG]

Put that screen in a handheld, and you'd swear it was 1080p.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
    a_ump says thanks.
  9. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    well hello admiral obvious

but then tell me what cpu would they put on it that would match that on the ps3? the atom doesn't, qualcom doesn't, the only ones that can are on laptops (albeit lowend ones as highend ones stomp all over it)

perhaps if they used a cpu/gpu all in one chip then they may be able to fit it on there, but even that would be much too hot and require too much power for a hand held.

I'm not saying you can't make a solution that would provide that power, I'm saying not in 2011. Sony isn't all powerful and other devices simply cannot be that far behind sony.
  10. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    *cough* already brought up a fusion chip
  11. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    i hear what your saying, but the problem with that logic is that your using what we currently know about tech that is released and known to the public to make a decision. Did we know a year before the PS3 was released what the capabilities of the cell processor were? no. Take any console for that matter, a year before release, we've never known what it could do or the hardware that would be used.

I agree with crazyeyes as well as a couple others on the possbility of the PSP2 having PS3 like power. Just bc they state PS3 power, doesn't mean PS3 hardware. There's been plenty of time since the PS3 was released(5yrs) to work on architectural changes+node shrinks to lower the voltage requirements and thermal output, or what i personally believe, that there's been enough time to research into developing a newer more advanced+smaller processor that at lower resolutions could have the horsepower to drive graphics as appealing as a PS3.

When it comes to new technology we need to be more open minded, you can't base future tech releases on tech that's already released, if we did then we'd never move forward. Its called innovation and creativity, something that big companies like sony, nintendo, intel, AMD, Nvidia etc excel at.

EDIT:Not to mention there are many programming tricks/techniques that can make renders seem better than they really are because our eye's aren't good enough to register the differences. There were even articles released on AMD/Nvidia writing drivers to render games slightly differently in attempt to raise performance yet the visual difference was negligible
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  12. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    i dont think you can say innovation and creativity in same sentence as microsoft something about 10 yrs of bad luck and the end of the world in 2012
  13. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    I can say for sure within 6 months of launch we hand an idea what the ps3 would bring. While sure currently released producs had been in development for a long while before their launch there isn't anythign remotely close to that kind of power in a handheld. Also we have roadmaps for all major mobile component manufacturers and nothing in a handheld range is close to that level of performance even on a roadmap.

you can believ what you want but this is definetly taken out of context imo. If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

more likely this will *feel* like it has the power of a ps3.
  14. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    If they can make a Cell equivalent smaller, cooler, more energy efficient, and do graphics, then I WANT MY MOFOING PS4.
  15. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    PS4 . . . . . . I remember back in 2006 many thought 2012, boy were we wrong:shadedshu 2015 at the least:banghead:

dragging it out but didn't one of them say they were developing a new console right now.

I can't even think of the video cards and CPU's we will have by then.

16. sliderider New Member

Thanks Received:
    Screw this full body control crap. That money should have gone into new console development. The Kinect and Move will never find their way into my house, ever. I already have a Wii for casual games.

And the next gen consoles had better include a normal controller or else I won't be buying them either.
  17. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    What's wrong with Kinect and Move? they're a newer, better, and unique technology compared to the Wii's current motiontracting with a remote.

I'm sure Microsoft and Sony have already put some work into the next consoles they plan to release. Though i do feel its ridiculous for this current console gen to have lasted this long, 5-7yrs for this gen? I suppose if kinect and move are used in every game that's released with good detection and precision to the players moves that alone will bring a huge change to how games are played.
  18. MadClown

MadClown New Member

Thanks Received:
    NY, the state were you cant defend yourself
    Keep in mind that the cell processor can be used for rendering as seen in Uncharted 2. If they can squeeze the cell(which im assuming is small judging by its name) into the psp2 then a gpu is not needed, atleast not a beefy one.
  19. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    gpu is made to code games easier... I doubt a cell equivalent will be in a PSP2... As many have said THE PSP2 DOESN'T HAVE TO USE THE SAME FREAKING HARDWARE AS THE PS3!!!!

at 854x480 or wtv, the games would look awesome, and ps3 quality is definitively possible. If they can fit 540p (16:9 so 960x540) and work with 28nm, then there IS a possibility to play PS3 games, as most games are 540p upscaled to 720p/1080i/1080p. 540p would be un incredible push and being able to play ps3 games, or at least very easily converted ps3 games would be beyond AWESOME
  20. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    The cell was not used for rendering in UC2, it was used for post processing so a gpu would still be needed. Also how would you expect them to put a ~45 watt Cpu in a hand held mobile device?
    yogurt_21 says thanks.
  21. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    Wow...people really don't read threads at all today do they. Just bc in the current gen of PS3's the cell CPU is 45watts, doesn't mean they haven't innovated a much smaller similar processor over the past 3yrs or so that can handle the quality of games that'll played on a tiny screen. Were we not surprised or blown away by PSP's graphical capabilities? It definitely blew away all competition at the time. And with 3DS coming out with as good if not better graphics than the PSP's, Sony is of course going to counter them.

That's another point one could make, according to this, the 3ds is going to be using a somewhat old chip to do visuals that compete with the PSP's. So why couldn't Sony have developed a much more advanced system since psp's release, just as Nintendo has with the DS>3DS.
  22. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    Thats amusing considering both IBM and Toshiba gave up on the cell architecture, so if Sony has somehow singled handedly refined the processors down to battery level power draw they have one hell of a lock on that information and is going to completely blind side the industry, ARM might as well just pack up and go home.

I don't know if im the only one thats noticed, but these "tiny" screens currently used in mobile devices are packing some serious quality and pixel density, by the time this psp2 comes out im sure we will already have 720p+ handsets thanks to the spec war that seems to be going on between companies like HTC, SAMSUNG and APPLE
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
    yogurt_21 says thanks.
  23. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    true, but that resolution on a 3-4" screen compared to a computer monitor at those resolutions is going to look a hell of a lot better, so the quality of 480p on a 3.5" screen is going to look as good as 1080p on a 24" monitor. 1920x1080/24"=86400/in, 800*480/3.5=~109714/in. This would lessen the requirement of high res textures that consoles render in contrast to a handheld, which then makes it possible for PS3 visuals on a smaller scale if that makes sense.
  24. TAViX Guest

It seems that the display will be similar to the iPhone 4 one, only is HD, 1280x7##. It's great to see polymeric displays finally taking off. Also touchscreen goodness! ;)
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2011
  25. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    well if anything good happens with this hopefully it will benefit us in the end like how the 360's gpu did give ATI the testbed they needed for the Radeon HD series. hopefully something similar will happen in the mobile market, . . . . . even though its sony.

hopefully whoever they have contracted with brings out the tech unlike what happened with the cell so we can get better smartphones(If its based on a smartphone platform)