1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PSU 600w platinum or 650w gold modular

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Harpener, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Harpener New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey I'm in the process of ordering new parts for my new computer. I've got most things picked out. I'm getting an i7 3770k an asus sabortooth motherboard and asus 7870 oc. I have an SSD and 3 2tb drives already.
    Unfortunate newegg is a complete ripoff where I live so I'm having to source my parts through multiple webpages in china. For the power supply I am able to get a deal where i can get either a 600w platinum non-modular psu or a 650w gold modular psu for $100 both of the power supplies are made by super flower. Corsair and seasonic are not an option because the tx650 starts at $150 for only bronze. On jonnyguru they both got high ratings. Which would be better to install in my case? I've got an NZXT Phantom 820 on the way so lots of room for cable routing.

Thanks

2. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    SO where do you live?

3. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    I'd say go for the 650w. The extra standard at platinum on the 600w would be nice, but I think the extra 50w and gold standard should be enough in case your system needs the extra bit of power.

4. Harpener New Member

Thanks Received:
    In China so most of the parts I'm having to order from http://www.360buy.com or http://www.taobao.com
    I also contact the factories themselves to limit the likelihood of a fake

5. tastegw

tastegw

Thanks Received:
    Can u shop on eBay there?

It's kinda weird how everything is made in china and ships out, but nothing comes back in x_X

6. Harpener New Member

Thanks Received:
    I can shop on eBay but the shipping rate is insane

The prices here are kinda weird somethings are almost the same for example my CPU and motherboard are within 5% of neweggs price and they don't have tax so i guess its cheaper here. But video cards have a 15-40% markup same with Psu's. Which is why I choose super flower because the distributor will sell to me directly below market cost.

In a big case does it really matter if the PSU is modular or not since there is lots of places to hide stuff.
    Also do the electrical savings between platinum and gold really add up when its such a small wattage?

7. tastegw

tastegw

Thanks Received:
    I don't think they do unless u run your machine really hard all the time
    [​IMG]

8. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
  9. Harpener New Member

Thanks Received:
    I guess I'll get the 650 modular then. Should be better if I end up deciding to get another video card later.

10. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    50w here or there will not matter much, but modular is nice.