1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PSU Advice

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Laggia, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Laggia New Member

Thanks Received:
    So as to avoid awkward introductions, I'll get straight on to my question. I need help looking for a power supply for my build. This is only the second time I've self-built a PC.

Here's my component list:
    CPU - 3.4GHz Intel Core i5-3570K
    Motherboard - Asus Maximus V Gene
    Memory -Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz
    Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 660 TwinFrozr III / OC 2048MB GDDR5
    Case - Fractal Design R4 (not that it matters)
    Optical drive - Generic Samsung DVD+-RW
    SSD - Samsung SSD 830 256GB
    HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB (Sata 300 version from my current PC)

I was originally planning to get a Corsair TX650M, but I'm not sure whether it enough to power my set-up, not to mention, i've only been able to find retailers that stock the non-modular TX650. I live in the UK by the way.

All help would be appreciated since my trusty Intel C2Q6600 and ATI Radeon HD2900 GT no longer meet my needs. It's been a good 5 years...

2. JNUKZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    TX 650/M is enough

Laggia says thanks.
  3. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    Laggia says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. UbErN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    A quality corsair/seasonic/Antec 550W would easily be sufficient for that rig, overclocked too. So yes a TX650m would be more than sufficient.

Laggia says thanks.
  5. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    TX650 is plenty, heck a good 550W would handle it without issues.

Laggia says thanks.
  6. Laggia New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks everyone, I'll guess I'll just stick to the TM650M. Now to just find a reputable stockist that stocks it and not the non-modular version...

On a completely different matter, does anyone know how long it takes Samsung to process cashback offers? I bought my SSD early August, so it's been a good 2 months. I'd heard that it normally takes around 45 days, so I've emailed them but haven't had a reply so far. I don't really mind whether I get it or not, but seeing as I'm a university student, every pound helps...

Again, all help would be appreciated.

7. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    What's wrong with awkward introductions? :D
    Welcome to TPU, Laggia. :toast:

Rebates can sometimes take many months. I usually send them in and then completely forget about them ... only to be presently surprise if/when they show up.

8. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    If I was building a system now, I would really love to try one of Corsair's new AX760i power supplies, which are full modular 80 Plus Platinum, with digital voltage regulation. They also come with a CorsairLink cable so you can monitor every aspect of the PSU in Windows software. The reviewers so far are amazed at the tight voltage regulation and low ripple figures. I want one, but I just built a new i5-3570K system 3 months ago, and can't justify any more expense until something quits working (and the Ultra X4 750 Bronze full modular I bought has a lifetime guarantee!). Maybe next build... If you're into cool running and overclocking a little, Corsair also just updated their H80 and H100 liquid coolers with new fans, a better water block and pump, and now includes CorsairLink cable instead of as an expensive option. I have the H100 old version...