1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PSU and Consumption issues...

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Greenmousa, Oct 23, 2009.

1. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    The 790GX and 790fx are great boards but i think he is trying to say its overkill for your needs/uses but i highly recommend the 790gx boards to anyone looking for a budget overclocker.

also the GIGABYTE AM3 GA-MA79XTUD4P is a good board at a decent price

i don't recommend the MSI 770 because it looks to be built cheaply and if your wanting to overclock a tri or quad core the mosfets may have some problems and burn out at higher then stock voltage

BTW what is your price range and what store are you wanting to shop from?

Greenmousa says thanks.
  2. Greenmousa

Greenmousa

Thanks Received:
    Thank you P o s pc i understand what you are saying

Btw ill try to explain the money situation so you get a clear view, here a regular worker earns about 1.000 usd a month, im a college 23 years student and my incomes are low, if you translate that into my income wich is about 1000 pesos a month = 1000/3.68 for dollar equivalent, a $1105 motherboard it's a freaking lot XD, and that's why i asked about the $450 one! if you pair it up with the X3 720 you get $1120 for both CPU and Mobo, i hope this makes it easier to understand. Maybe this im saying it's not helpfull and it's my problem for living in a 3rd world country, but let's say, here being a PC "competitive" gamer it's really hard and it takes a lot of money.

How this would help my post?? It probably wont...but, well, i will do my best to get the mobo you suggest but i will se what is stronger, my willing to save money or my willing to buy a new CPU and benchmark it... and maybe i must buy the parts one now and one later one cause here technology taxes are impredictable and may suffer a 14% increase one day to another i can only watch the prices sky rocket. That's why i allways intend to buy the whole thing in one sitting :)

Besides 27 October it's my birthday :D and if i save up enough i may auto gift me a new rig :)

Thanks for your advice as usual my friend

3. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    what site you shopping from? I will recommend you a board from there if you give me a link

Greenmousa says thanks.
  4. Greenmousa

Greenmousa

Thanks Received:
    There is no shipping site my friend, mail responses from local retailers:

Here are my options:

MB ASUS AM3 M4A79T DELUXE DDR3 4PCIE $1160.-(divide this digit for 3.68 to get the dollars result)
    MB GIGABYTE AM3 GA-MA79FXTU5P 4DDR3 2PCI-E UD3 $1095.-(divide this digit for 3.68 to get the dollars result)
    MB GIGABYTE AM3 GA-MA79XTUD4P 4DDR3 2PCIE UD3 $820.-(divide this digit for 3.68 to get the dollars result)
    MB MSI AM3 770T-C45 DDR3 GBLAN SND $450.-(divide this digit for 3.68 to get the dollars result)
    MB MSI AM3 790FX-GD70 DDR3 2PCI-EX16 GBLAN $1155.-(divide this digit for 3.68 to get the dollars result)
    MB MSI AM3 790GX-G65 DDR AMD790 DDR3 V/S/R $870.-(divide this digit for 3.68 to get the dollars result)

Thanks in advance on any input

p_o_s_pc says thanks.
  5. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    I just realized your boards are like really, really expensive compared to prices where we are. The MSI 770 board seems like a good buy. It is not the best, and OC will be limited, but it has good reviews from customers at the Egg, so get the cheapest one.

Greenmousa says thanks.
  6. Greenmousa

Greenmousa

Thanks Received:
    im glad i could make you see that, you see now how hard is to get a decent gaming rig over here? XD anyway i don't complain that much, im used to build on budget and i KNOW i will never have a top notch pc, not even momentarly, it's simply out of range for me money wise.

I will do some review research and keep you guys informed, million thank you as usual :)

7. Greenmousa

Greenmousa

Thanks Received:
    Do you think that Motherboard will hold up the Phenom 2X3 720 BE Clocked to 3.0 or 3.2??

Im just curious, i know it's a processor that likes Ocing so im willing to give it a try :) Please let me know how you feel about it. Other Thing, the 125w Limit on the processor slot, will limit me?? I know it did in my old MoBo, but im wondering, all phenom 2 are coming in 125w or less nowadays right???

I found this review, i kinda like what i see :)

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2009/09/17/msi-770-c45-motherboard-review/7

So guys, must hit the bed now, it's my birthday today so im going to sleep dreaming with mobos XD

Thanks in advance!

8. Greenmousa

Greenmousa

Thanks Received:
    Im narrowing down my options to this 2 Motherboards, please help me make an informed decision with like...pro & cons if you can :)?

GIGABYTE AM3 GA-MA79XTUD4P 4DDR3 2PCIE UD3

MSI AM3 790GX-G65 DDR AMD790 DDR3 V/S/R

Awaiting for your replies as usual :)

9. Woody112

Woody112 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't have any experience with these but from the reviews on egg they both seem like very good boards. PII CPU, and DDr3 sound like a win win at those prices.

Greenmousa says thanks.
  10. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    See he weird thing is, those boards are nearly identical. Both have great OC options, dual BIOS, multiply BIOS profiles, plenty of plugs and SATA ports, etc. The only real difference in brandname. I have the MSI 790GX-G65 and I love my board so my option is bias.

I still say get the cheapest one because all the ones in your lists were good to really good boards.

11. Greenmousa

Greenmousa

Thanks Received:
    By the cheapest you mean the cheapest between this last 2 or the cheapest including the MSI 770??

Anyway i've been reading reviews about the 2 of them, and the gigabyte Secure 3 System, and the space between Memorys and CPU are features that i really appreciate, so i will see, the only think im not too sure about the 770 it's the possibility of not being able to upgrade to a 140w CPU due to voltage capacity, actually in the review i read the guys recommended to stick with 95w CPU's because MSI didn't announced that the wattage it's ensured to last longer than 2 years.
    I had a similar trouble with my current MObO and that's why im so doubtfull i hope you guys understand :)

12. Greenmousa

Greenmousa

Thanks Received:
    Last minute thingie...

My only wish about the board is this:

Want to install CPU, DDR3s, start pc and nothing else, use it for like 2 or 3 months and the try to hit 3.0ghz with OC, i want a MOther that doesn't give me any bios version trouble or that kind of things, so keeping that into account, wich one would you think it's the best, maybe Users input may help :)

Thanks again

13. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Any AM3 board will be up to date on the BIOS, so you should have to mess with it unless you want to. You are not going to be able to just plug it in though cause your OS is going to be pissed when it bus map is all wrong. You change the Mobo, you are most likely going to have to reinstall your OS.

All brands have their ups and downs. Gigabyte is the brand to have right now for consistently good stuff. MSI's higher end boards are definately built better.

Yeah, I mean the cheapest out of the last two you listed. Do not include the MSI 770. I think it will handle a 125W CPU, but I am not sure so forget it.

Greenmousa says thanks.
  14. Greenmousa

Greenmousa

Thanks Received:
    Great thank you a lot for that one yet again man, you the man!

15. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    i agree with what thelaughingman has said :toast:
    sorry not going to quote everything

16. Greenmousa

Greenmousa

Thanks Received:
    Great then it's a wrap.

Ill keep you informed if something else comes up

17. Greenmousa

Greenmousa

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to bother you guys again! but, a new challenger appears!! and it's us$ 40 cheaper!

ECS A790GXM-AD3 1.0 AM3

Should i reconsider my purchase?? This just came in to my retailer :)

18. Greenmousa

Greenmousa

Thanks Received:
    bump for greater urgency

19. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    I got no grip with ECS boards and it seems like a good buy. I have heard some good things about ECS Black edition boards.

20. Greenmousa

Greenmousa

Thanks Received:
    It seems that the Black edition did a really good work so far every review i read said nothing but good things :)

Thanks once more dude, this will save me up some serious money

21. Greenmousa

Greenmousa

Thanks Received:
    Hi! im back and i bring news to this whole build thing:

I've been offered with new processors at my provider :)

Here are the items:

(PRICE ORDER FROM LOWER TO HIGHER)

AMD ATHLON II 240 (2800 MHZ) AM3 X2 DUAL-CORE
    AMD ATHLON II 245 (2900 MHZ) AM3 X2 DUAL-CORE
    AMD ATHLON II 250 (3000 MHZ) AM3 X2 DUAL-CORE
    AMD ATHLON II 425 (2700 MHZ) AM3 X3 TRIPLE-CORE
    AMD ATHLON II 620 (2600 MHZ) AM3 X4 QUAD-CORE
    AMD PHENOM II 550 (3100 MHZ) AM3 X2 DUAL CORE BLACK EDITION
    AMD PHENOM II 545 (3000 MHZ) AM3 X2 DUAL CORE
    AMD PHENOM II 720 (2800 MHZ) AM3 X3 TRIPLE-CORE BLACK EDITION
    AMD PHENOM II 945 (3000 MHZ) AM3 X4 QUAD-CORE
    AMD PHENOM II 955 (3200 MHZ) AM3 X4 QUAD-CORE

EDIT: ALSO THEY OFFERED THIS MOTHERBOARD===

MOTHER BIOSTAR TA790GX A3+ AM3

Please comment on this board :)

Italic and bold options are my (i guess) favorites...remember the target for the processor:

GAMING + GRAPHIC DESIGN (PS, Corel, Illustrator, NO 3D PROGRAMS WHATSOEVER)

So, once again i call upon the elders of TPU to assist me!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  22. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Biostar's stuff is ok. It is fairly inconsistent. Some are good, others are poo. That particular mobo seems to be fairly good. It will OCing a bit, but get the job done.

Get the 720 Mhz. If you can unlock it great. If not, 3 cores are better than 2.

Greenmousa says thanks.
  23. Greenmousa

Greenmousa

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  24. Greenmousa

Greenmousa

Thanks Received:
    Ok guys, i am the owner of a Phenom 2 X3 720 BE, 4GB of OCZ GOLD 1666 MHZ DDR3 RAM and a GA-MA785GPMT-UD2H

Why that board?...well...it's power efficient as hell, allows a whole lot of ram, it's UBER cheap even here in Argentina (90 dolars or so), it's really cool temperature wise, performs great and allows to unlock the Cores of the 720's and 550's.

This is a preorder, if i want it ill have it in my hands in 5 days i can take the order back, i just don't see why, if anyone has anything to say please do so now before i seal the deal.

Thanks as usual :)

25. Greenmousa

Greenmousa

Thanks Received:
    Yo guys sorry to bother you again...ive been offered with a cheap OCZ Stealth X Stream 600W, if you read the first pages of this thread you will see my current PSU, i want it to support this in case you don't remember or you are new to the thread:

MOTHERBOARD GYGABYTE GA-MA785GPMT-UD2H
    ATI 4850 (Maybe a 5850 6 months from now)
    Phenom 2 X3 720 BE with a tiny Overclock (2.8 to 3.0)
    2 Hard Drives.
    4 or 5 case fans.

So, should i go for it???