1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PSU causing my problems?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by theonetruewill, May 21, 2007.

1. theonetruewill New Member

Thanks Received:
    London - Close your eyes and you'll see me
    I've got a 600watt psu..... but from what I can see it only has 16 amps on the 12v rail (wtf), could this be causing the spontaneous shutdowns?

2. bruins004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    What is the rated amps on the 12V rails?
    It sounds like you have multiple 12V rails and only 1 is working right, but I just want to make sure I am right.

3. theonetruewill New Member

Thanks Received:
    On my PSU, below the 12V it says, 16 amps.

4. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    It could be causing problems. I'm unfamiliar with that brand of PSU. I have a cheap $15 PSU I have for diag/backup that has 22A on the 12v rail, and the PSU is rated at 550W..it is a POS PSU for sure, but it helps to have a backup that works and is cheap, I just verified my Antec Smartpower isn't functioning correctly just the other day, and thank god I had that cheap backup. It'll suit just fine on my P4 system till the new one arrives RMA.

I'd say research your PSU by model number and see what all it has, and it's ratings. You could be choking your system. The best way to tell is to get a different PSU and try that, and hopefully that other PSU would have more than 16A on the 12v rail.

5. bruins004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow if that is true than that is a POS 600W PSU.
    When is your computer shutting down, is it when you are trying to run an application so the CPU is under load as well as the GPU.
    If that is the case then its your POS PSU.

If not, then check your CPU temps and make sure it isnt overheating.

Listen do yourself and you computer a favor.
    Get a quality PSU.
    Look at this thread under the PSU section and pick out something nice :)
    http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=30822

6. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I just purchased a Corsair 520HX from ClubIT for $108 shipped, then there's a $10 MIR, newegg had it for $115 after MIR. It's rated good, has 3 12v rails good for 40A, good cooling, is modular. I haven't read anything bad about it, and they have a 620HX version also. Both are very well rated and worth a look.

7. theonetruewill New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was going to get a quality PSU but just to make sure I wanted to make sure that this was pretty much a terrible one. I never really have understood the PSU's even after reading threads on it. It's my one technical weakness:rolleyes: I think I'll get a Seasonic 430watt.

8. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Seasonic produces the Corsair HX series of PSU's also. Seasonic is a great brand. I hope it works well for ya!

9. theonetruewill New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think it might be whats limiting my overclock, because the CPU voltage jitters around like crazy:pimp: So lets hope it rectifies a couple of things.

10. bruins004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you want to learn more than just take a look at my thread.
    It should help you out.

Seasonics are nice quality builds.
    The Corsair are built by them and are one of the best PSUs out there currently and highly effecient.

But nothing beats PC Power and Cooling and Zippy :)

11. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    A better PSU will definately help you out. If you can supply your MB and components with a more constant and accurate source of power/voltage, they will then be able to transfer a more constant voltage to other components thus increasing stability and possibly OC-ability! From what I've read on my ordered Corsair 520HX the 3.3v reads 3.33v, 5v reads 5v and 12v's read 11.99v! And fluctuate no more than .02v under load, that is much more stable than my ANTEC Smartpower which would fluctuate .05 to .1! And 3.3v read 3.3-3.4v, 5v read 4.9-5.0v, 12v read 12.2 - 12.3v..

I feel confident you'll have a more stable system, and you'll be much happier with your results and stability! Keep us posted!