1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PSU coil whine.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by lwgnlseven, Jun 7, 2012.

1. lwgnlseven

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys I got a new question for you, hope you can help out. I just recently today noticed a high pitched noise coming from my computer. I think I've narrowed it down to the PSU making a coil whine. It sounds like a similar problem someone else has below....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=C4d23F2jehQ

Basically anytime I load up a game and the FPS is up high because of v-sync turned off, its really noticeable. It changes pitch as FPS goes up or down. I think I've come to understand that the different voltages give off different audibles and what I'm hearing could be normal? I've never noticed because I game with a headset and the GPU fan speed drowns it out. But I'm a little concerned that it could be an issue. Could the PSU be going bad? Is there any kind of damage to any other components if this happens? Such as GPU or Motherboard...

I hate to replace the PSU because I've read others have replaced it and the new one does the same thing. It has something to do with the amount of voltage that the GPU is pulling from the PSU but I dont want it to cause damage....Hopefully you can help out. Looking forward to hearing back from you guys. Thanks! :)
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Are you sure it's not the video card? Coil whine is quite normal for video cards. What video card and PSU are you using?
  3. lwgnlseven

Thanks Received:
    I'm using an XFX pro850 and a evga gtx 580 card. When I put my head near the back panel where the PSU power switch is, I can hear it coming directly from that. Sounds very similar to that video linked in original post.
  4. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Take it apart and use hotmelt glue on the coils.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    While that's a fix, it would void the warranty. Coil whine isn't something horrible, just annoying to some. If you don't like the whine, contact XFX for a RMA.
  6. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    If you haven't yet set Vsync on in games, see if that fixes it.
  7. Goodman

Goodman

Thanks Received:
    Was thinking the same thing must be the GC...

I first thought that you were running 2x GC i was like WTF? He's running an old x850 pro (ATI/AMD) with his 580 Nvidia?
    Then after little research found out it's XFX PSU that is call 850pro :laugh: didn't know about XFX doing PSU:banghead:

Anyhow it still could be your GC & not the PSU?
    open your side panel case & listen at you GC as close as you can

I too have that whine noise coming from my case when anything 3D & i first thought it was my PSU since the sound seems coming from it but after i open the case & listen carefully found out that it was in fact my GC & not my PSU

Since it's normal for some GC to do this & that i can only hear the noise when it's quiet in the house , a little bit of noise like talking , TV or 1/4 volume of my speakers & i don't hear it anymore

Anyhow maybe in your case it is really the PSU doing it?
    Don't know much about XFX PSU didn't really like there product anyways to expensive for what you get...IMO
  8. GSG-9

GSG-9

Thanks Received:
    I have exactly what you are talking about, I have swapped out the psu, and video cards and it still persists.

Edit: Actually I don't have the same motherboard, ram, processor, videocard, psu, or case. Only a few of my hard drives have survived the upgrades.
  9. lwgnlseven

Thanks Received:
    I have tried turning on vsync and it does indeed lower the amount of squealing, however the mouse then feels slow and unresponsive with vsync turned on. I still think its coming from the GPU drawing the voltage from the PSU so they must be related to each other.

Its definitely related to vsync and FPS. When on a menu at 1000 fps its very noticable, with vsync turned on at 60 fps, its dead silent. Have never noticed this until this morning. Is it harmful and could have lasting effects? Or is it safe to use as normal?
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  10. driver66

driver66 New Member

Thanks Received:
    safe... just coil whine from you're video card :toast:
  11. lwgnlseven

Thanks Received:
    Here is another video that I've just found. Again, extremely similar to what I'm experiencing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeahtqeTrGo&feature=related

In games with very high FPS, this is the noise that it makes. The noise will change pitch as the FPS goes higher or lower. He has replaced his PSU with 3 different brands and all 3 times the problem persisted. I'll have to put up with it I suppose cause it looks like there is no real fix for it other then replacing it and *hoping* the new is much quieter. I've also read both here and on other forums that there really is no danger in this, just more so annoying then anything else. Do I have to worry about this ever happening when idle on desktop? That there would almost certainly bother me to no end. I can put up with it while gaming cause of using a headset, but not at idle.

*Update* Playing a game now that has cap FPS of 64, the whining is very low but even so still there. When I alt + tab to desktop it gets silent, alt + tab back into the game and I can pick out the sound again. It does indeed sound as if its coming from the graphics card however I can distinctly hear it from the back of the PSU when I put my ear up to it....not really sure what do to.... :-\
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  12. Goodman

Goodman

Thanks Received:
    Yeah! it's the GC Nothing to worry about nothing is going to break some cards do it more then others , move on & enjoy playing your games if it's to loud just raise your speakers volume a bit lol!

Worst case your card have a warranty so no worries ;)
    fullinfusion says thanks.
  13. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    that sound from your motherboard, choke
  14. lwgnlseven

Thanks Received:
    Can anybody here with some knowledge about coil whine explain to me what exactly is happening? What is that causes that high pitched squealing? Why is it all of a sudden happening when I've never noticed it before yesterday? Does it actually mean a part is failing that would cause it to all of a sudden be making these noises?

I know that a lot of you are saying its the GPU but I still distinctly hear the noise coming right from the back end of the PSU where the power switch is. From what I've heard, the GPU whining does indeed happen on some higher end cards, but is it also normal for the PSU to do it as well or is that cause for concern? I think my biggest concern is it shorting out and frying up my whole system...
  15. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    It won't - coil or cap whine happens when electric current makes the materials physically vibrate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coil_noise
  16. dom99

Thanks Received:
    I have this too and it is definitly the PSU. It happens only at the loading screen in The Sims 3 but is extremely loud.

What brand and Wattage is your PSU and what GPU do you have?
  17. lwgnlseven

Thanks Received:
    I have an XFX 850pro and GTX 580. I think I need something like 350-400 watt to run my system, I'm no where near undervolting the system. As long as it won't damage anything I suppose I can live with it...Just one of those annoying things...
  18. Yo_Wattup New Member

Thanks Received:
    That sound happens when I run furmark. What games does it do it on? Could be an open GL thing... I dunno
  19. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    A typical thing from XFX as all there cards for me had that annoying Whine!

The wife couldn't hear it but me and the kittys could!
  20. lwgnlseven

Thanks Received:
    It does it most noticeably in 2 games. The first and worst being Skyrim. In all the menu's I get 1000-2000 FPS and it whines pretty good, while in game, its at 85-90 fps and still makes a weird sounding noise. The other game is Killing Floor and same deal, in the menus at around 2000 FPS its singing the same way it does in Skyrim. Most of my other games are around 60 FPS and its not too noticeable. Performance hasn't gotten worse, temperatures have not gotten higher on the GPU either. Looks like it isn't harming anything as of now. Really hope it won't later either....

The card is EVGA, the PSU is XFX.