1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

psu connector question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by overclocking101, Mar 8, 2014.

1. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    so I was switching my setup to my new case and while plugging in the 24 pin connector I noticed the +3.3v wire was broken from the connector. everything seems to run the same with it broken as before. uploaded a pic to show which wire it is. what is it used for and can I simply cap the wire and use the psu as normal. the psu is like 5 yrs old so doesnt shock me much that something like this happened.

Attached Files:

2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Nothing really uses the 3v anymore, so if it is running fine I wouldn't worry about it too much. Though I'd still start looking for good deals on a new PSU, just because it would bother me knowing something was broken.

overclocking101 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    yeah it is seriously bothering me, i'll cap it off till I can sweet talk the wife into letting me spend, I've already been looking for good deals, found some good ones the psu I have now really is over kill even if I were benching all the time like I used to so really all I need is around 650w/700w

4. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    If ~650W is what you are looking for, let me know if you are looking to buy. I've got a Corsair CS650M brand new still shrink wrapped that I'm debating on selling. I though I was going to use it for a mITX build, but I put that on hold for now, so I don't really need the PSU.

P.S. Nice to see someone else rocking an 875K. We're rare these days!

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  5. caliskan New Member

Thanks Received:
    @overclocking101, the 3V wires are generally used as power supply wires for the PSU controllers (Many controllers in general). You should actually replace the wire as soon as possible since the PSU might be able to run in a simple analog mode in case of an absent controller but that certainly will have issues in some conditions. Looking for a new PSU is good and could be a viable but if your PCU runs ok by just fixing the 3V supply then I guess you can save a little.

printed circuit boards

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  6. Devon68

Devon68

Thanks Received:
    Cant you just try to remove the pin and solder back the wire.