1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PSU Deterioration Info

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by GreenD, May 23, 2012.

1. GreenD

GreenD New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys

I was just wondering how much a PSU can be expected to deteriorate after time, I know their is alot of factors to include but I just want the general info, I have a power supply from my old computer, Thermaltake toughpower 775, ive had it for almost 10 months now, what deterioration can I expect, I keep it fairly dust free and its not using its full wattage, its probably using around 500 watts on load

Thanks
  2. kiddagoat

kiddagoat

Thanks Received:
    How often did you/do you plan on running the unit? What is everything that you are going to be plugging into it??

Need some more information here.
    GreenD says thanks.
  3. GreenD

GreenD New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well it ran to fairly standard usage, I would say around 3 hours a day on general surfing, such as internet and emails, for games around 6 hours a week. (haven't been using it that much because of lack of internet at the moment)

I was just wondering how it could have deteriorated since then, because I am planning on upgrading a few components, such as adding a new motherboard and GTX 670/680 and doubling the RAM, it has a stock Core i7 2600k, but I might check into a slight overclock, so im wondering how much i still have to work with.

Thanks
  4. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    i wouldnt worry about it, should run just fine....
    its likely not even exceeding 350watts while gaming.

Oh and my psu is around 3 - 6 years old :p... not sure as i bought it 2nd hand :D.

but my antec 550watts psu is also still working in a simmiler system with an amd 1090 and GTX570.
    GreenD says thanks.
  5. GreenD

GreenD New Member

Thanks Received:
    One thing im quite happy about is that the new generation of Nvidia Cards Dont seem be to very power hungry :D
  6. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    not in the slightest :D
    GreenD says thanks.
  7. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Hi GreenD, but are you feeling any problems? 10 months!
    As for being future-proof, your wattage is great. I have a similar one, similar CPU and a GTX470, all overclocked and haven't seen yet more than 350 W, as per indication of my APC.
    GreenD says thanks.
  8. GreenD

GreenD New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nah im not facing any power problems, but my system is very un-intensive now, and the upgrades im planning are going to use alot more watts at load and idle
  9. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    How about you fill in your system specs so we know what you're running? :)

550-watts is about how much my tower uses at full load on both 6870s and the CPU with both overclocked.
    GreenD says thanks.
  10. GreenD

GreenD New Member

Thanks Received:
    IT has:
    CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k (Stock)
    Motherboard: P8-H67-m PRO
    Graphics card: Gigabyte Gtx 550ti
    RAM: 8gb of DDR3 1333 mhz ram
    PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 775

thats about all that matters so far

It will have:
    CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k (OC)
    Motherboard: Asus Z77 Sabertooth
    Graphics card: Zotac GeForce GTX 680 AMP! Edition
    RAM: 16gb DDR3 1600mhz dual channel
    PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 775

Thats about all the important parts i think
    Last edited: May 23, 2012
  11. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    you could heavily overclock everything in your PC and still have PLENTY of power spare.

You might peak upto 500 watts... but 370-450 would be closer to the mark
    GreenD says thanks.
  12. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Your PSU will last much longer than 10 months and not notice any deterioration.

if anything you would most likely see it will just not go rather than have performance/reliability degradation.

I ran an Enermax Noisetaker 600w for at least 4 years without any notice of performance degradation.
    GreenD says thanks.
  13. GreenD

GreenD New Member

Thanks Received:
    cool, ive been told tough power series is also very good at lasting long, I was just curious though :)
  14. nleksan

Thanks Received:
    I have a 420W Thermaltake Toughpower PSU from 2003 that, as far as I know, still powers up my first self-built rig (AMD FX51 @ 2.325Ghz (I believe) with a Thermaltake Silent Tower HSF with 92mm PWM Fan, ASUS SK8V, 1GB Corsair XMS3200RE Twin-X Registered Dual-Channel DDR400, ATI X800XT PE 256MB GDDR3 @ 595Mhz-Core/635Mhz-Memory, Western Digital WD800 80GB E-IDE 7200rpm HDD, Samsung Spinpoint 120GB E-IDE 7200rpm HDD, Western Digital Caviar Blue 120GB 7200rpm SATA1 HDD, Lite-On 8x DVD-R/RW Drive, Samsung 12x DVD-ROM/CD-R/W Drive, 4 80mm Fans, 3 92mm Fans, an old Floppy Drive, and so forth).
    Given the age of most of that hardware, the age of the PSU, and the fact that I ran it the equivalent of 24/7 for 4-5yrs (I only OC'd it for a short period.. Had to get more fps in some game from '07...); it is amazing that it is even still even in existence! I can't say for sure that it works, as about 2-3 years ago I tried turning it on and kept getting errors before I could even get to the BIOS, but I didn't want to deal with it so I just let it sit in my storage office until just a month or so ago when I took it out and stripped it down to try and rebuild it with better cooling, a big part of which is not having an almost-literal rat's nest of cabling!

Anyway, point being... I paperclip jumped the PSU after thoroughly cleaning the dust away and it powered right up! I just need to add some sewing machine oil to the fan (does pure silicone lubricant work?) as it is struggling.
    They really are good power supplies, at least durable. "Tough"-power is an accurate name.