1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PSU Fan

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by Squirrely, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Squirrely

Squirrely

Thanks Received:
    I have replaced my PSU fan the other day, as it was quite noisy. I have a handheld temperature probe, and if I stick it up to it, it says the air is about 43C coming out of it. Is that normal or too hot? I can feel the air coming out of the PSU easily, and its a bit hot like my other one, so there is some airflow. It is around 70% efficiency, so that isn't helping compared with a 80%+ with the wasted electricity turned into heat. :shadedshu

- Do i need to get a new one since this one is too low wattage? (420w)
    - Or should I just get a higher cfm fan? (Problem is noise, as I love my near silent computer :laugh:)

Thanks. :D

Edit: Not sure if this is the right forum...is it? Would go into cooling, but that's overclocking and cooling.

2. Eclecticos New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think 43c Is a little high for a 420w PSU, but still within the normal operating range.

If it was me I'd go ahead and get another one . .you'd be lucky to power 2 fans with that thing. :D

3. Squirrely

Squirrely

Thanks Received:
    Heh. Its an ok PSU. Bought it a while ago when I partially didn't know what I was doing. Thought 420 would be enough, and it was only 70% efficency.

Oh well, may just get a faster fan.

4. Eclecticos New Member

Thanks Received:
    550w would be the absolute lowest i'd go.
    What case do you have? My raidmax smilidon requires a 550w power supply.

5. Squirrely

Squirrely

Thanks Received:
    Centrion 5 by Cooler Master.

I'm also only using 301w at max load with my computer with a calculator. (20% capacitor aging)