1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PSU for GTX 580 SLI

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by TissueBox, May 13, 2012.

1. TissueBox

Thanks Received:
    Hi everyone!

I'll be getting another GTX 580 to play around with SLI since I found a deal on it - I'm wondering if my power supply will be able to handle it for just for a few benches, and maybe a few sessions of Battlefield 3.

My specs are to the left, and my power supply is the XFX Core Edition Pro 650W with 53A on the +12V rail. I bought it around last September.

I know I'll be pushing it, but I'm wondering if it'll work for just a little while.

Thanks!

2. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Might work but no overclocking on CPU, RAM or GPU. I repeat "might"... For your machine as it is right now in your specs (overclocked) and another 580 I'd say an 850W is questionable.

TissueBox says thanks.
  3. AhokZYashA

AhokZYashA

Thanks Received:
    i think an 850W shoulb be sufficient.
    as 650W will be pushing it too hard

TissueBox says thanks.
  4. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    TissueBox says thanks.
  5. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    800watt would be the right choice. 650 is REALLY pushing it here especially if you are pushing an overclock too!

TissueBox says thanks.
  6. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    800-850w and ull be just peachy

TissueBox says thanks.
  7. nleksan

Thanks Received:
    I got an NZXT HALE90 850W PSU from Newegg on sale and before purchasing, I read probably two dozen reviews on it and many more on its competitors (OCZ ZX850, Corsair HX850/AX850, Seasonic Platium X850, etc), and I can honestly say that I believe that the NZXT HALE90 series is top of the line, and is as good as or better than the aforementioned competitors. It has a very stable output with extremely low fluctuations and actually performs incredibly well under high temps (JohnnyGuru and his hotbox). Add to that the fact that numerous test sites have pulled more than its rated wattage from it (as much as 950+), safely, and I think it is a "hidden gem" so to speak.
    Also, it was introduced before the 80+ Platinum rating was available, so it is rated Gold; its efficiency is only a hair below platinum (0.1% under common loads).

I have no doubt that it would support SLI GTX580 cards plus an overclocked cpu, even some liquid cooling pumps.

Not to sound like a fanboy, I am not (only when it comes to BMW lol), I just think that the HALE90 series is overlooked and underrated by most.

TissueBox says thanks.
  8. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you cut your overclock to stock, and never run any benchmarks/stress tools/anything more stressful than a game, I would say you have a few week's worth of time before the PSU degradation hits home and kill everything.

Edit: Peak power draw from gaming is 444w, and the 2500K at stock don't take more than 150w with any load, so you are about 600w if gaming is the most intensive you do.

TissueBox says thanks.
  9. TissueBox

Thanks Received:
    Thanks everyone,

Is there really no hope at all other than upgrading my PSU? I know that it's rated for continuous 650W, so it should be able to do a more than that.

If it's a no, I'll be selling my old one off then :cry:

10. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes you can use the PSU, but its quite risky and even a small degradation of 10% will easily send your entire rig to heaven.

TissueBox says thanks.
  11. TissueBox

Thanks Received:
    If you put it that way - I won't risk it. A few benches isn't worth the money if that happens.

Thanks!

12. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: May 13, 2012