1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PSU Guide

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by panchoman, Sep 13, 2007.

1. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    correction? corsair doesnt have seasonic as their only OEM?

2. billcat479

billcat479 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, I'll try to put links from now on. I can only say I think the tests was done at either Hardocp (I'm not sure about the name, I had a reinstall and lost most of my bookmarks but they do good tests on power supplies and Tom's hardware did a bit of testing as well. Just go to those sights and look at their power supply sections for their past reviews if your still interested.
    I was really impressed by their reviews. They use proper testing meters that show noise and loading which is very critical and isn't done by a few other sites that don't have the money or the will to invest in testing meters and O-scopes that are really needed when their testing power supplies.
    Noise is always a important issue when voltage levels are getting so low that any potental noise that could make it too the cpu ( though getting through the motherboards regulators now days is next to impossible) but still any power supply that puts out a lot of noise is not one to buy for any reason because it's sloppy and gives more room to damage data or hardware. I saw a warning from AMD to not use memory over 1.5v with it's new cpu's because it can damage it and so just a .1v spike jump could potentally ruin a cpu is reason enough to watch for poorly made power supplies. I could not come close to knowing how it could make it through this way but better safe than sorry right?
    I am sorry I can not be very specific on a lot of stuff unless I write it down. I lost that ability to retain this kind of data after my accident and can only go by general information for the most part. Very sorry about this. I just still like to help get people to think more about the topic the best I can. I'm making a lot of people mad at me over the whole AMD/Intel issues because of the poor testing being done on the new AMD cpus by the major sites that is very obvious but people are happy to gloss over what AMD is trying to do with this new design that is infuriating. It's all about a long view issue built into their cpus and future potental that won't show up for a few months so I'm getting into tons of heated posts about this.
    But oh well, merry Xmas to everyone, I am going into hiding as usual this time of the year. And be very careful with new years too ok? Health is everything so don't get into a situation where you can ruin yours. I did and am very much like that House char. and take tons of pain pills for the last 20 years and it's horrible so stay safe!!!!!! Have fun but don't ruin your health ok folks???? I went from very smart to smart that I can't use anymore consistently.

3. happy New Member

Thanks Received:
    So I am getting this --> COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro1000 RS-A00-EMBA . Is this enough for x2 6950, 6 HDD, 1 SSD, 5 Fans, i5 2500k (overclock). The OP says that I need to have 40 amps on the 12v rail, but the specified PSU only has 18 amps.

Please help.

4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    it has 6x 18X rails for 12V.

i would not recommend that PSU.

the positive reviews on newegg give it away, none of the people reviewing it got past the "OMG 1000 WATTS AND LOTS OF CABLES" stage. the few who list system specs, are listing old, non power hungry hardware.

the few who do... well

the PSU is a lemon. dont go near it.

5. St.Alia-Of-The-Knife New Member

Thanks Received:
    What about Cooler Master Extreme power plus 700w?

6. happy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well it has a "single +12V rail (up to 52A)" which is better than the one I have. One 12v rail is better than multiple.

7. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    a single 52A rail sounds quite good, but in my experience coolermaster PSU's have all been bottom of the barrel junk. I love their cases and other hardware, but their PSU's tend to be pretty crappy.

I'm sure they do have some good models in their lineup, but i'm not aware of them. google is your friend there.

St.Alia-Of-The-Knife says thanks.
  8. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    St.Alia-Of-The-Knife and Mussels say thanks.
  9. Mussels

Thanks Received:
  10. happy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey Mussels,
    So I was looking at a Corsair HX1000w and it has multiple 12v rails, so why is it more reliable and have more positive reviews than the 1000w CoolerMaster Real Power?

11. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    as i said in PM, because coolermaster PSU's tend to suck, while corsair dont.

12. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Not really. It still depends on...everything else.

13. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i believe that less rails is better - but a shit single rail PSU is still shit, vs a quality multi rail.

the main problem with multi rail PSU's is when the rails dont have enough power - EG, no matter how many 18A rails you have, you're still capped at a low amount.

now two (or more) 35A rails, you'd be hard pressed to over load.

14. zaqwsx

zaqwsx

Thanks Received:
  15. Marclar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can someone tell me why isn't chieftec mentioned here either as bad or good brand? It's funny how thoughts on this company are mixed... Some say it's bad some say it's good. I really have no idea which PSU to buy(I mean i have no idea which brand is good for quality products for money etc...). Also please bare in mind that i don't want to invest 150-200 euros into a PSU... i'm investing about 70-100 euros :)

16. Vulpesveritas

Vulpesveritas

Thanks Received:
    I'm just wondering looking at the front page, what about the newer 80+ Platinum Kingwin PSUs? Just noticing that Kingwin is listed in the "companies to stay away from" with the superflower internals.
    Just wondering, I'm probably going with an OCZ or Seasonic myself.

17. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:

Because the first post has never been updated since 2007.

18. Vulpesveritas

Vulpesveritas

Thanks Received:
    gotcha gotcha....
    well okay then.

19. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    if someone comes up with an updated first page and its gets approval on here, i'll stick it in. just copy paste the entire first page, update it, and put it behind a spoiler tag.

20. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    I'll try working on that then. :p

21. Marclar New Member

Thanks Received:
  22. Mussels

Thanks Received:
  23. Marclar New Member

Thanks Received:
    then which one would u suggest from chieftec that is around 700w?

24. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    anything with less rails, and higher amperage per rail.

afaik chieftec isnt sold in my country, so you'll have to research this one.

25. Marclar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can you explain me a bit what's with multi rails?? can't you like combine those 2 rails to get more A?