1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PSU Guide

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by panchoman, Sep 13, 2007.

1. toecutter

toecutter New Member

Thanks Received:
    excuse me mr/ms troll... did I ever claim this?

no I did not, so stop putting words in people mouths and setting your own undefined standards :)

you must be a pro over at trolls paradise "Above Top Secret"

sorry you have buyers remorse... you can take your over powered and under efficient antique unit and stick it where the sun don't shine baby :D
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  2. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Its more efficient at the roughly 700w my pc uses than your unit is. Luckily I am fully capable of reading reviews before speaking.

[​IMG]

You don't plan on being a member of tpu long do you? I think calling members who helped write the guide you are in 5-6 years ago trolls is a bad idea ;)

This statement alone is enough for me to no longer consider reading you posts. You do understand Antec, Corsair and Enermax are only assembled in the united states at the most.

Seasonic and Enermax are local to Taiwan just FYI. Antec and Corsair are California companies, but if you are dense enough to think they were "made in the USA" you should probably quit at life.
  3. toecutter

toecutter New Member

Thanks Received:
    according to your laughable AMD specs (no offense) but you do not need 1200 watts.

your unit is drawing more at idle and under load even because you didn't match your power supply correctly... or you did in 2008 when that model was released.

[​IMG]

I bet you don't even know what that "shortcut" and solution to a missing much needed and preferred component is doing on your premium Antec PSU?

In computer terms... even 3 years old is a dinosaur! the seasonic unit I bought is a refresh of a 2-1/2 year old design, it's also Haswell ready... blows the pants off your 1200 TRX (tyrannosaurus rex) in efficiency and is better matched to the setup you are running.

I am Intel and nVidia all the way, therefore it is quite obvious I am a little more serious about my system than shaving a buck.
  4. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you very much for your participation of continued arguments, warnings given, lets move on shall we? :toast:
    Mussels and toecutter say thanks.
  5. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    I take it you do not overclock with Dry Ice or LN2? I have with this basic system popped the OCP (over current protection so your not confused) on an Antec 850w unit. That was with an air cooled TEC on a Phenom II and some reasonably overclocked 7950's. This powersupply is setup for this system and extreme overclocking, that's what I do.

Idle? So you assume my unit is running at idle huh. I actually own a PC that runs a wee bit less wattage I use for day to day activities.

You do understand they use those on most high end/high watt units, but instead of placing them inside of the unit they equipped them on the cables themselves. Actually your brand of choice them pretty consistently on high watt units, as does delta and super flower.

If you look at the review again side by side with yours it doesn't blow its pants off. In fact in multiple occasions it performs worse. Such as at 700w, the 12v CL (crossload) test, and sits within 2% for efficiency throughout the rest of testing.

Ah you must be a little bit more serious since I am one of those silly AMD owners. Lets not mention the fact I have a bit of stock in the company and use both systems, but hey Mr. NewGuy most know all about every member. :shadedshu

Keep at it and see how long you stay at TPU.
  6. toecutter

toecutter New Member

Thanks Received:
    time to sell those stocks... :cool:

peace :toast:
  7. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Negative. Remember AMD's custom built units are being used in two big ticket xmas items :laugh:
  8. toecutter

toecutter New Member

Thanks Received:
    AMD? ...never heard of em

the last ATI product I owned (and still have sitting in my collection) is a Rage Fury Maxx, it only liked Quake 3.
  9. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I don't understand what you're saying. Seasonic, Antec (who manufactures squat btw) and Enermax are the top dogs in the 750W Platinum Fully Modular Free Shipping for $140 category? What if I need 1000W and have $1000 to spend? Or what if I need 500W and have $50 to spend?

EDIT: I honestly don't know what you're arguing about anymore.
  10. toecutter

toecutter New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am not arguing, I am responding to words being put in my mouth from cdwall.

Seasonic manufactures Antec units with antec's design specs and additions (or subtractions) in the sub 1000Watt and sub $300 category why not buy directly from the manufacturer of many others PSU's.

you can do more with a 750 Platinum today in new and updated designs than you can with a 1200 watt 5 year old technology... and do it more safely and efficiently.

when someone puts words in another mouth or makes claims which the other never made... then that is the trademark of a yes you guessed it

I never even know or cared what PSU unit the other party was running... they obviously do though. You just have to read back a page or two to see who got nasty first.

I don't like nasty people... mama said knock them out! :D
  11. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    In addition to Seasonic. Antec uses CWT, FSP and Delta. Please update your PSU knowledge thanks
  12. toecutter

toecutter New Member

Thanks Received:

lol... my knowledge is good enough to know, and good enough to ruffle the right feathers in this thread now isn't it?

I know Antec has other people branding their products, that's why I cut the middle man out and bought from the source.

at a cheaper price to boot :)
  13. Frick

Thanks Received:
    All I know you begun with saying something wrong. Also, at least one of them old 1200W units have a 5 year warranty... So they're probably still good, unless you've had it under 100% load 24/7 for 5 years straight.

But this is meaningless.

Like Delta? :p
  14. toecutter

toecutter New Member

Thanks Received:
    Delta is nice agreed... but not readily available at Microcenter or BestBuy or Newegg or Amazon for than matter.

I didn't start it... it'll take a reread to see who was offended first... it doesn't matter to me... I know I got one of the best of the bests :)

no remorse!!!
  15. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Indeed it does not matter. Also, Delta doesn't do consumer PSU's for themselves afaik (anymore). They have server PSU's though. Which is why you don't find them. And the idea that buying directly from the OEM makes them magically better is ... strange.
  16. toecutter

toecutter New Member

Thanks Received:
    here is a good comparison of what I require for maximum efficiency @ idle and gaming (no LN cooling here, I like my system useable and not just for displaying numbers)

Antec HCP-750 made by Delta, it is a gold rated design and also a discontinued design... you can find it at Amazon for $200 bucks plus shipping. It is not fully modular and didn't get a "possibly the best PSU ever" rant about it on Anandtec. The HCP-750 had minor design cuts and a flaw or two in theory.

I could have got away with a 650 Seasonic since I only have the single card atm...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4975/antec-hcp-750w-80plus-gold

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GH6UM0/?tag=tec06d-20

I believe I got a great deal on the Seasonic with its 7 year warranty.

it doesn't make them magically better... it makes it more beneficial to the end user/consumer by way of lower price. You too would have to read a page or two back to see my statement which you are referring to.

middle man? just say no... the world would be a better place when companies made their capital by what they actually produce instead of market.
  17. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Antec hasn't used Seasonic for their top tier products in quite a while. Right now they are made by Delta, previously they were made by Enhance. :laugh: The only middle man you cut out is Corsair.

Oh and that Delta built Antec unit is actually more efficient than your unit. Testing was done on 230V so no way to know if it is any different stateside.

[​IMG]

It doesn't have as stable rails, but they are well within ATX standards.
  18. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    The brand of PSU does not matter. Its all about the OEM. There are only a few PSU vendors that manufacture there own PSUs. The rest are made by contracted 3rd party OEMs. CWT, Flextronics, etc.

Seasonic makes there own PSUs, and manufactures PSUs for other companies. Corsair, Antec(well did), etc.
  19. toecutter

toecutter New Member

Thanks Received:
    if I could buy directly from Delta I would, as they are an ODM. but you can't :(

so I chose to herald Seasonic as a modern day example and a shining star a few posts back for this reason.

believe me... I am still quite stunned at the unit I got for $140 and some change, I set my limit pretty much at $175 and looking at other units made by different ODM's I wasn't even in to fully modular yet and barely touching platinum with others.

the Seasonic 760W will run at its sweet spot for effy drawing from two GTX770's when that other card comes to fruition. So I'll be using that Platinum for what it is... not just because it is branded as such.

230v is more efficient period... and I know Antec is made by Delta, therefore Antec is a middle man. Still I include them in my top 3 picks because they are Delta.

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24085

the Seasonic SS-760XP2 is 92% rated and I am assuming that is via my country's standard or 230v.

reviews for that particular Antec 750 should show the same 92% +/- at 115v to 230v which like the Seasonic should work from 100v to 240v. But where's the fully modular cables and hybrid fan switch? I guess Antec had Delta cut that expense unless you buy the 850w for about $230 after shipping as these things are not sitting readily available on the shelves.

$165 Vs $230 for the same performance but the $165 gives you a few more options, namingly that fully modular... both PSU's coming from reputable manufacturers. (again I caught mine on sale $140)

a closer look at the XP2 Platinum also reveals that they are a dual rail design, not multi or single...
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  20. Frick

Thanks Received:
    That would only be true if they were identical, but they are not. They might be based on some mobel, but not identical. If we're using seasonic as an example they are just building them for others according to the buyers specs, while making other PSU's for themselves. Also Seasonic (as an example) tends to be quite expensive compared to the ones that use Seasonic as the OEM, but that doesn't matter as the PSU's are not identical.

So the argument makes no sense no matter how you put it, and it never has. You can buy whatever PSU you want of course, but don't try to make your choice look like it's somehow factually/morally superior (unless you get to buy something on a nice discount).
    Mussels says thanks.
  21. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i think this part bears repeating to stop some of the bullshit going on in this thread at the moment.
  22. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    I am just going to put this out there. Fully modular cabling is flat out stupid. I will never not use my 24P, 4P or 4+4P connectors on a powersupply. It's added cost, added resistance and an added failure point. So you can quite honestly keep that little "option" to your Seasonic unit all to yourself.

As far as OEM's go I prefer the enhance based design of my TPQ-1200 the massive 12v rail that is capable of being crossloaded to the full 1200w is quite useful for someone like me that uses multiple powersupplies when overclocking items under certain conditions. It is also rock solid stable when I need it to be. Thing about TEC's is they tend to run better with a good solid 12v running through them.

Platinum certification is cool and all, but my gold unit meets and exceeds the same efficiency rating as your platinum unit were I need it.

I purchased a powersupply to fit my needs and in all honesty don't need someone on some Seasonic high horse to tell me why his purchase was better. Guess what it doesn't fit my needs. You seem to fail to see that.

Move on you are really not convincing anyone that your Seasonic is the best powersupply ever built since it doesn't meet the needs of everyone. Trust me when a powersupply company accomplishes that they will sell like hotcakes. For now we have many many options to pick and chose from and some are better than others.
    Fourstaff says thanks.
  23. toecutter

toecutter New Member

Thanks Received:
    this is true... the Seasonic has better features, 92% advertised via both manufactures. $165 regular price is also better so I do agree, they are not the same, Antec charges a premium for putting their name on it. The increased price and shaved features is their profit margin.

there is no argument here, the Seasonic unit has the Antec unit beat in this particular 750w category, even though the Seasonic has an additional 12 watts.

seems I stepped on some product shills toes, I figured you people over here would be in "the know" and like the Seasonic too. But after looking at profiles I see that ths place is a little behind the times? am I in freaking Canada on this website :lol: I trust the overclockers advise from more trusted and very technical sites.
  24. toecutter

toecutter New Member

Thanks Received:
    this discussion is not about your T-Rex, so stop making it :laugh:

just let it go man... and go talk about your unit on one of those historical sites about classic hi performance computer equipment.
  25. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    more accurately: you're an ass, and the only way you deal with yourself is by the incorrect belief that you know better. if you admit you dont know something, do you sit alone and cry at night? does it hurt you THAT much to think that your opinions are not relevant to everyone else in the world?

try this: accept that other people have different opinions than you, and that they can still be valid. if you cant, maybe you should shut up because i'm getting real tired of reading all your posts being reported for trolling and rude behaviour.
    Kursah, MxPhenom 216 and cdawall say thanks.