1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

(PSU Issue) TX750 Buzzing sound and need tips on good replacement PSU

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Gobbas, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Gobbas

Thanks Received:
    I built my computer yesterday and as soon as I started up Guild Wars 2 the PSU ( I think) started buzzing. Almost like an old dial-up modem but at a lower tone. It is a TX750 v2

It is similar to this: ,but louder. I can hear it while I have headphones on and decent amount of volume.

It mostly happens during games. It can also happen during web browsing while switching windows. It also happens while running prime 95. It is loudest while running games though, and it is quite a lot louder. The sound seems to be coming from the bottom of the computer (where the PSU is) but I am not certain.

Some related questions:

1) Is there another component that can create a buzz like that in a computer? I am not very good with figuring out where the sound is coming from, so I want to be sure it is the PSU. It remained when switching graphics card at least, so that is ruled out. I just want to be sure before I go ahead and order another PSU and send this one back.

2) What would be a good replacement in a similar price range? I was considering the AX760 which would be a 45ish% price increase. Supposedly of better quality, but I found some with similar issues as with the tx750 after googling. Not as many, but if that is because fewer use the AX or because a smaller percentage is afflicted I do not know.

Edit: More and more sure that it is the PSU, because of when the PSU fan kicks in no more buzzing appears anywhere as far as I can tell. I doubt the sound from the fan is masking anything either because the fan is not spinning that fast and is very quite.

So if anyone could recommend me a PSU that does not have this hybrid thing with the fans going on. Always on is way better than this mess.

Thank you.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  2. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    GPU have been known to have a coil wine too.