1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PSU or mobo problem?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by cavemanthreeonesix, Aug 24, 2014.

1. cavemanthreeonesix

Thanks Received:
    Hi all, looking for a bit of advice to try and figure out what's gone wrong with my pc and how to fix it.

I've started having problems switching the pc on. the power button on the case does nothing so I've had to revert to using the on/off switch on the psu, it can sometimes take several flicks before the pc will power up and i dont have to use the power button on the case, it will just come to life all of a sudden when the psu switch is pressed on.

I think this is a psu issue but im concerned it maybe a motherboard issue. I dont have any other kit to swap out either of them to determine what is causing this so i'd like to seek some advice before going out and buying new hardware.

I'm running a corsair AX850 with an Asus p67m pro, Intel 2600k and dual GTX 460. Cpu & gpu are both at stock so nothing that should over stretch the psu's limits

Any advice is more than welcome

2. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like the PSU is tripping which be the whole reason you have to turn off the PSU, the reason it might be taking a few try's might be because you did not wait long enough before turning it back on.

So when it happends turn the PSU off and leave it 30s+ and it most likely turn back on.

It automatically turning on might be a bios option after power fail to turn it back on or even the bios trying to recover from a failed start.

To me it sounds like a PSU too but try using the on-board video and remember to plug the monitor in to it. You could all so try taking every thing out the case and put the mobo on a cardboard box and reconnect every thing and start it up that way.

If it is a bios option to auto start and you disable it remember to reconnect the power switch or short the 2 required jumper pins with a jumper for a brief moment ( if you use a screw driver be careful you dont short some thing.

3. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Could be the psu or you have crappy wiring/grounding in your home. Could be the power strip too

4. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    yeah some UPS can have a incompatibility with some psu's.

eidairaman1 says thanks.
  5. cavemanthreeonesix

Thanks Received:
    thanks for the advice guys, I've started off with the easiest option leaving the psu off 30 secs, this seems to be improving things just not quite everytime. What i have found to work everytime is switch the PC off at the psu and then at the socket in the wall when im finished with it, next day switching them both on and then pressing the power button is working everytime.

I dont have a UPS in front of the pc, just straight into the 240v mains (I live in the UK). As for crappy wiring yeh that is a possibility I'll have to look into.

Next I want to try getting the pc out of the case and go for bare bones boot like you suggested on a cardboard box, I might have access to a 500w psu i can borrow off a mate if he can dig it out of wherever he thinks its stored. Just cant rush into that job as the PC is fully water cooled so it need some time and effort dedicating to it before i start that one.