1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Psu or mother board dead?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by helpme, Mar 24, 2013.

1. helpme

Thanks Received:
    I plugged a din cord from a creative inspire 5500 into my mouse keyboard port today and my pc shut off instantly and won't turn on at all. No signs of life, nothing. I don't know why I did but it was a last ditch effort to get the speakers to work correctly

My mother board is a as rock z77 extreme6 and my psu is a cooler master silent pro gold 800w. My pc has been working fine since Christmas. No other recent updates or changes and all drivers and bios were up to date. Power is definatly connected as other devices in the same box were on and the power on off switch is definatly on.
    Is there's any reset I can do to make it work or something. Like a iPhone reset. :p How can I test if the power is on Past the cord. Or see if the mobo is dead. Any help please.
  2. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    you've probably blown something by shorting out a circuit, id guess itll be motherboard realated.

if you got a spare psu or motherboard you can swap each one and see which is dead. on the motherboard there should be a switch/button (or remove battery) to reset motherboard, but I doubt that will work.

maybe change the fuse for your psu as well and try that
  3. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Where and what cable have you exactly plugged in? Creative are speakers if I'm not mistaken so I don't understand how you can plug that in a keyboard port.
    de.das.dude, Jetster and d1nky say thanks.
  4. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    Crap Daddy says thanks.
  5. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    I didn't know there's a DIN plug on the Creative and isn't the keyboard port mini-DIN?
    Anyway, if he managed to fit it in the mobo while the speakers were powered then it's probably dead by now.

To the OP:

On that mobo I think you have a led display which shows you when you startup some codes. Is it dead?
  6. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    my thoughts as well, I did see that the lead carries 6volts so not good! if it was a din he may of forced it in and shorted/bent something also.

''To the OP:

On that mobo I think you have a led display which shows you when you startup some codes. Is it dead? ''

and maybe if something is bent and shorting it would stop power on.
  7. jaggerwild

jaggerwild New Member

Thanks Received:
    Pull the battery, short the clear Cmos pins. Let it sit over night. see what happens
  8. helpme

Thanks Received:
    The din cord is the exact same size as the ps/2 mouse keyboard port. It fit in perfectly but obviously sent voltage through my mobo. How do I remove the battery of the CMOS. There are no led lights on the mobo at all no signs of power either I'm getting a voltage tester from work today and will test to see if there is power past the psu.
    Is there anything else that could be damaged other then the mobo and psu. Where is this fuse you speak of on the psu. If it is he fuse, is it a simple fix no problems? I want my computer back :'(
  9. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    id say the mobo is dead. 6volts through a small fragile port like that will more than likely kill capicitors fuses etc

1.the fuse on the power lead, maybe that blew? (a very small chance).
    2.theres a small battery on your motherboard, disconnect mains and take battery out for a bit.
    3. disconnect all non essential components etc and see if any lights beeps come on, when trying to start up.
    stinger608 says thanks.
  10. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    You need to test the motherboard with another PSU.
  11. BiggieShady

BiggieShady

Thanks Received:
    Since there is absolutely nothing happening when you press power button, it must be the motherboard or the PSU (at least). Judging from what you have done, it's most probably motherboard.
  12. helpme

Thanks Received:
    So what are the chances of warranty replacement , if I leave out some details? Or am I up for another mobo. I have no other psu o test but is there any way I can see if the psu is still good instead of just buying a mobo and finding out it was he psu. I only have the one pc so i can't switch anything out. Any ideas ?
  13. instron New Member

Thanks Received:
    If it is your power supply the fan will likely turn for a second and stop,if it is the motherboard it will start the fan and not display a picture .Tell us all what happens when you push the start button,you might have to turn off the powersupply then pull the plug on the powersupply and
    plug it back in to see the results.
  14. bencrutz

Thanks Received:
    Fast way to check psu: disconnect psu from mains, pull it's atx connector from the motherboard, short the green wire with the black one (of the atx conn) and then connect the power cord to mains, if the psu's fan is spinning check the voltages (yellow-black 12v, red-black 5v etc). If its fan is not spinning it probably dead.

Edit: disconnect all peripheral from psu first: hdd, ssd, graphic card etc
  15. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    you burnt up the motherboard itself
  16. helpme

Thanks Received:
    When I push the power button there is no response whatsoever. No fan spinning or lights or anything. It's just a brick at the moment. Ill try shorting the psu when I get off work. How will I know if the mobo is dead also if I discover the psu is dead. Do I just buy a new one and if it doesn't work then get a new mobo
  17. bencrutz

Thanks Received:
    If psu is dead, buy a new one, if then still cant get it powered up, check the fuses in the motherboard before getting a new one.
  18. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    if both parts are dead replace both. if that PSU is still alive you just replace the motherboard but as a fore warning that PSU might be on its way out especially after causing a arc in the system like you did. If the PSU is dead replace the PSU but also a fair warning after the arc like that the board might go out eventually too.

Ive had PSUs powerup without a load attached but when a load was attached it would fail to power up the machine despite it being the proper rating
  19. helpme

Thanks Received:
    Ok I just or home and I plugged my computer in and pushed the button and it turned on for 3 seconds with fans an off. Then I help the button down and it stayed on and I cleared he CMOS through the button on the back and the display worked. But my keyboard wasn't connected so I couldn't push f2 to enter uefi setup and I think it timed out and shut down or died again. Now I'm back to square one. Any thoughts in this. Does this mean my mobo isn't dead or it still might be. Or could it still be my psu. I don't really know what to think anymore but this is good right . Any suggestions please
  20. ueutyi New Member

Thanks Received:
    try to reset the bios, its right on ur motherboard called JBAT1
  21. helpme

Thanks Received:
    Ok, my computer is on, i managed to reset the bios to default. Why did this happen?
    is my computer going to die now in a couple of days or am I off scott free ?
    Everything is working fine. I did notice however that when i was plugging the cord in i jiggled it and heard abit of static and thats when it booted again. Is that a sign that my Power supply is on the verge of dying or something to do with the power cord? Or is it nothing to worry about. Basically what I want to know is, is it worth investing in another power supply now because my one is going to go. Or should I just wait it out.
    Also, thanks for all the replys.
    When drastic things happen in life, its good to have people to talk to and help you through it :D
  22. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    cant tell if trolling or really stupid?
  23. helpme

Thanks Received:
    Why do you say that
  24. bencrutz

Thanks Received:
    Buy a new psu.
    You dont want your current psu go kaput taking everything with it ;)
  25. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    See how it runs for a week, if it fails to boot at anytime just get another power supply first

helpme says thanks.