• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PSU problem (?). Help?

keling

System Name X
Processor Intel Core 2 i5 2500K (Stock)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z68-DS3
Cooling Intel Stock Cooler
Memory Corsair Vengeange 2X2GB
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE ATI RADEON HD 5850 1GB @ 771mhz
Storage WESTERN DIGITAL 2TB Black Edition
Display(s) SAMSUNG 2232BW 22" LCD 1680X1050
Case The same one from 2003. The Nameless One.
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply Xigmatek NRP-702 700W
Software WINDOW 7 PRO 64bit OEM
I have recently upgraded my PC (Intel 2500K, Gigabyte Z68P DS3 mobo and 2GBX2 Corsair Vengeance RAM, Maxtor 2TB Black HDD with OEM Windows 7 Pro 64bit) and have been experiencing rather frequent abrupt shutdowns/power loss. These shutdowns happen randomly, regardless whether I'm playing a heavy game or simply leaving the PC idle for several minutes. Sometimes power loss occurs just minutes after booting up and sometimes after I left the PC on for a couple of days.

My prime suspect as the cause is the Gigabyte Odin Pro 800W PSU. I bought it in 2007. My old PC (refer to the spec under my name to the left -haven't updated it yet with the current config) had experienced somewhat a similar power loss like my current one. The only difference is that it failed when I pushed the power button. It rarely loss power during gaming or work/idle.

Both PCs do share one thing in common : after the initial power loss, the PSU wouldn't start again. The PSU would whirred to life for a couple of seconds and then stopped. No matter how many times I pushed the power button, it would failed again and again.

My solution to start it again is to pull out both the 24 pin and/or the 4 pin +12V connectors and reconnect them again. Usually this bring back the psu back to life after one try, occasionally more or I need to remove and replace the power connectors for Ati HD 5850 card too. This reminds me : The PSU seems to hate the modular graphic card power cables and the modular molex connectors so I have stopped using them years ago. Using them only make the start failure even more frequent in the older PC.

That's my lengthy explanation of a problem and here are the questions :

1. I know I've been using a potentially defective PSU for years but I am curious to know what had failed. So, what went wrong?
2. Can I keep using this PSU? I'm planning to buy a new one next week but I did planned to rebuild the older component as a second PC. Maybe I could reuse this one for that unless the problems are a precursor to a fatal failure in the future.
3. What's the recommended optimum wattage that I need for the next PSU? I'm not a hardcore overclocker (CPU or GPU). I'm not interested in SLI or Crossfire. I have always felt the 800W I'm currently using is way too much for my style. Then again, I'm planning to upgrade my graphic card (maybe a GTX 560 Ti/570 or anything similar) so do I still need to buy another 800W PSU?

P.S : I'm trying to avoid Gigabyte for my next PSU or graphic card. I don't know why.

Last edited:
System Name Barb's Domain
Processor i9 10850k 5.1GHz all cores
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool Assassin III
Memory 2*16gig Corsair LPX DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 FE
Storage 500gb Samsung 980 Pro M2 SSD, 500GB WD Blue SATA SSD, 2TB Seagate Hybrid SSHD
Display(s) Dell - S3222DGM 32" 2k Curved/ASUS VP28UQG 28" 4K (ran at 2k), Sanyo 75" 4k TV
Case SilverStone Fortress FT04
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion II speakers, Corsair - HS70 PRO headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x (2021)
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech Orion Spectrum G910
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/34962882
PSU's output deminishes with time. While in 2007, it may have been capable of delivering 800 watts, now, 4 years later, that output may actually be around the 650 watt mark or lower.

I had a PSU do the samething your talking about, replaced the PSU, and the computer worked fine. Replace your current PSU, and if you keep it, only keep it as a back up for emergencies. I wouldn't recommend using it 24/7 anymore.

keling

System Name X
Processor Intel Core 2 i5 2500K (Stock)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z68-DS3
Cooling Intel Stock Cooler
Memory Corsair Vengeange 2X2GB
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE ATI RADEON HD 5850 1GB @ 771mhz
Storage WESTERN DIGITAL 2TB Black Edition
Display(s) SAMSUNG 2232BW 22" LCD 1680X1050
Case The same one from 2003. The Nameless One.
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply Xigmatek NRP-702 700W
Software WINDOW 7 PRO 64bit OEM
Interesting. I forgot about the possibility of hardware diminishing performance over time. Usually most of my hardware break down due to some mishandling during cleaning. I guess the PSU is the longest PC component I ever used and it served me well.

The last PSU to die on me was a cheap Made in China one that came with the casing. Company of Heroes killed it.

At least the Gigabyte one took years to show any failures. That's the power of a brand name product, I guess.