1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PSU Question???

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by mos187, Dec 15, 2008.

1. lollerskater69 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Pros: For a Small Business streching thier IT Dollar this is an incredible deal and delivers High Power demand. It worked the first time around and is extremely quiet

Pros: I have been useing this supply on my AMD Spider rig for about a year now, with zero problems what so ever. Super long cords, plenty of connectors, ect. AMD Phenom 9850 @ 3.1ghz, 8 gigs ddr2-800 ram, 2 media drives, 3 Seagate Sata drives, ATI 4850 + ATI 3200, all fans in my ANTEC 900 case.

Pros: Works great, quiet and Cheap.. So if you need something Semi-Strong on a Budget this is good.

the worst review I saw is this

The unit I got was very poorly shielded. I had a lot of interference with my speakers, which was unacceptable.

Other Thoughts: Would have been very costly to RMA. I took it to recycling center instead and just took the loss.
    Manufacturer Response:Tou can RMA the defective unit at www.hecgroupusa.com under download section.

and the manufacturer actually responded to remedy his problem.

2. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    But they didn't care to notice he said he got rid of it.

Oh, an expensive one? How about that SilverStone I posted? That one was better and cheaper.

We have to help this person choose a PSU. Don't assume other people are willing to take risks. Just give them something that can take capacitor aging and Active PFC is nice. :D

3. lollerskater69 New Member

Thanks Received:
  4. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    haha well said zithe!!!!!:toast:

5. lollerskater69 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It isn't a risk. It's called not wasting your money.

6. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    Allowing your computer to blow up is totally not a waste of money. Besides, what if they want to upgrade in the future? Waste more money on a new PSU and just lose the old one? That's more of a waste.

7. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    stop posting until you read this

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=39758

all of the PSU's you have posted are on blacklisted companies or OEM's now if you would like to replace a rig b/c you "thought" you were saving money than fine do it but that PCP&C would smoke anything you have posted

8. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    A little over exaggerated but true. I had a Rosewill 550w bite the dust but it didn't kill anything thank goodness.. I love my Antec PSU's tho! I have a 380w in my moms, 500w in mine and I have a Silverstone in my HTPC that works great.

9. lollerskater69 New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is pointless. Until I see my computer or my brothers blow out, we will keep using "no name PSU's" They have been working magnificent for us.

No point in arguing like I said.

10. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry I like quality. :(

11. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Why would you take that risk? It just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

cdawall says thanks.
  12. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    would it be rude to say your an idiot to buy shit PSU's?

13. Damian^

Damian^ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh brother, what an awesome thread :rolleyes::shadedshu :roll:

Not so, an 8800GTX idles at about 70W or so. 280W seems just about correct for the system as a whole. I'd say about 17-18A is a good choice, although for even more headroom, most units out on the market deliver an output of about 22-25A (so choose something around there).

The 4670 is a great performer i agree. Another good card would be the 4830. I dont know what ATI did but they did something special with it, it performs well for its price, the great part is the overclocking potential (im referring to the Sapphire 4830) when it is overclocked DAMN!!! performs just as well as the 4850/70 GTX 260. (of course you could probably overclock the comparing cards but for the price you cant argue) Check out this review:
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapp_4830/8.htm

For the setup go with 22-25A on each rail, or at least 32A each rail, the Corsair VX550w is a great units with 41A on a single rail, very good unit imo (which i own)

We recommend good units so that in the future, they can use the same unit (and still rely on it, and dismiss the all mighty question, "should i upgrade my unit?"), We also want people to be sure they are getting a good unit, People come to forums for guidance and help not for people to recommend the barely minimum unit. We could be dealing with noobs here and we want to make it easier on them on their first build, and you coming in here suggesting a no name brand is not helping and i speak for myself (not welcomed) You might have a good OEM under the hood for all we know, or you know. If it's working fine for you so be it, but we would rather not take the risk.

I had good experience with my Dell computer that had a 250W unit, but thats because it wasn't running anything intensive, and certainly not running anything that had aftermarket products.

The units you talk about (no name brands) are designed for pre builts, and what not but they are certainly no designed for aftermarket products aiming at the enthusiast community (low/mid/high end video cards/cpus)

YOU are not taking the risk, most of us are. Besides, even if it draws 400W, we cant be sure your OEM unit delivers the efficiency, how hot is your unit running? Is it choking asking for the current through the rails? We dont know because its a no name brand, although if he gets a good brand we know he has enough "headroom"

newegg reviews mean shit. [For either a well known name brand or a cheapo brand]
    And why do you talk as if this info comes off the internet?
    It's hard to imagine a unit is running in some 3d world inside the interwebz :laugh:
    If people complain about crappy units failing on them im sure the person that first complained about it had it happen to him (THERE IS YOUR PROOF)

It's only because we want what is best for the novice

Wattage is not as important as the materials used for the unit (Japanese capacitors, Active PFC) to how efficient it is, to how much current it provides through regulators.
    I wouldn't say im a psu guru, but its common sense when knowing the simple facts about how a power supply works, to deciding other factors that come into play other then the wattage. Remember wattage is determined by how the rails convert amps into voltages, thats one of many important factors you need to look at first, not just how many watts.

QFTMFT

Certification is the same thing as certified ram for SLI which we all know is BS (i guess marketing would be another good terms but thats complex and off topic <_< )

Well known brands have a lower risk of failing on the end user, and another thing who will you contact when it fails on you, its no name :laugh:
    With brands such as OCZ, Mushkin, SeaSonic, Corsair, you know you will have a working unit in about a week.

now you're just being silly (TROLL)

I agree with you on this note, using a computer merely for office/work whatever then just about any unit will do since it does not cause any stress. (somewhat)

I have to say lollerskater69 i didnt mind correcting you on some facts, but once you posted links to those crap units, (like the raidmaz) I knew you were simply trolling.

Like i said this is a forum where beginners come for guidence and seeks advice for new computers, and in return we will help them out as much as we can. We dont want to just show them a good enough unit, we want to show them a great unit!

Think about it we could be dealing with someone who really wants to enjoy a brand knew computer and could be paying thousands of dollars on it, if i was in their position i would hope to GOD that i was absorbing knowledge from a user who knows what he or she is talking about.

So with that said OP if you are low on money go with an Antec Earthwatts units, great quality, affordable, and trustworthy:
    Antec 430W - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371006

Or any of these:
    Silverstone ST400 (you should think about this one, it has a great sale price)- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256032&Tpk=silverstone st400

Corsair CX400W - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139008

Corsair VX550W - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

Corsair HX520W - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139001

Seasonic SS-500ESW - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151040

BFG 680W - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817702009

PC: Power and Cooling 750W - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341011

PC: Power and Cooling 500W - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703015

PC: Power and Cooling 610W - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703005

Also forgive me if i recommend a high wattage unit (or not high enough) but as i was ranting i completely forgot the OP's planned specs for his computer

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

cdawall says thanks.
  14. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    woot for the texas boy!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  15. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    @lollerskater69

put your hand to the back of your PSU and tell me how hot its running. if you cna feel the heat coming off it your pushing pretty close to its peak i did this with a Tt purepower 500w and checked my 12v rail the thing was rippling like crazy anywhere from 11v-12.4v thats unsafe and kills things. yours will be the same way watch your 4870 its running hotter and its lifespan is being reduced cause your to stupid to get that and entire forum is telling you that you are wrong and putting your PC in the hands of the PC gods. go ahead keep flipping them off watch were your PC ends up.

my Tt ran 3x3850s, a phenom @2.8ghz, 1HDD, 1DVD-RW, and i couldn't touch the grating on my PSU it was so hot. my current specs (not listed in sys specs) draw way more wattage and my PCP&C isn't warm and i have yet to see my 12v drop or rise over 12v same goes for its 5 and 3v rails. thats called stability and boosts lifespan and reduces temps.