1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

psu upgrade? or mobo?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by hazza, Jan 28, 2013.

1. hazza New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi just looking for some advice, my system specs

Asus p8p67pro
    4x4 16gb Corsair Vengeance CML8GX3M2A1600C9W 1.35v
    cpu i7 2600k @4500hz
    2 ssd corsair f60 raid
    2 7200rpm wd 500g hd raid
    asus xonar dx2
    front media card panel usb 3 etc
    case centurion 5
    psu corsair ax750
    video asus gtx 670 980/1058 stock overclock
    3 blue led 120 case fans
    corsair hydro h60 cpu cooler
    1 blue ray Samsung drive
    1 blue led fan control unit
    + few xtra usb devices
    Saitek blue led keyboard
    Logitech wireless g7 mouse (battery charger and receiver)
    Windows 8 pro 64 bit
    pretty sure that's all of it.

I would just like to know if I can/should upgrade to a corsair ax860. Its only recently I upgraded video card from a gtx570 evga overclock all seemed ok and now occasionally I get one of the ssd drives not found, and other odd boot issues, then sometimes boots fine then keyboard wont work, sometimes mouse receiver wont work, it all points too psu or mobo I think.
    Can I use the cables from my ax750 on my ax860 without having to re-cable etc? or do you think that my ax750 is enough power and its my mobo. I have always had the double boot issue even after cmos clear etc.. but it has never been an issue etc.. thx for any help :)

2. tongey54

Thanks Received:
    Hi, I think your PSU is fine, is there any chance you can test the setup without the SSD RAID for a while to see if you can replicate the issue? One of them may have broken.

3. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Its not your PSU. Its fine

Go threw some trouble shooting steps or flow chart. Try the easest stuff first. ie cables, plugs, ports, drivers

4. tokyoduong

Thanks Received:
    this is why I always have an extra PSU on hand to diagnose hardware failures. I used to rip my hair off trying to figure out what's causing what and then it turns out to be PSU.

To answer your question, your best bet is to learn to use the volt meter or do process of elimination. Do a list of what you suspect most to least then remove/replace them one at a time and see if you are stable. Doesn't the Corsair AX series have some kind of monitoring software? Check for fluctuations while you are using the comp.

5. tongey54

Thanks Received:
    Only the new AXxxxi series. But I totally agree. Best to have a test PSU, and memory and graphics card if possible. An old hard drive with a copy of Windows on doesn't hurt either.

6. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    I have similar problems with many ASUS boards right now. Not sure why, seems stuck to SKT1155.

It could very well be PSU, I replaced PSU due to similar problems.

7. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    I moved away from Asus when I went to 1155 because of issues like this having been with them through years, always remember my P5B, that board was a beast and saw me through several Conroe/Allendale dual core CPU's back in the day :toast: