1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PSU's..Are we going overboard?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by kciaccio, May 26, 2011.

1. kciaccio New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am building a new computer to last probably 2 years.

Two years because technology moves so fast it will be average to below average compared to what is the norm for the average new computer.

I will either use the new bulldozer CPU or high end six core that is already out. Two mid level video cards to power my quad display.

I want to build my computer using high quality parts but am finding it hard to justify the difference in a $50 PSU to a $150 PSU.

Please help me understand how one can be worth 3X the other.
  2. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    quality is what matters i run a 6 core with an 850 antec tpq my system barely uses 500watts
    95Viper says thanks.
  3. kciaccio New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is it quantifiable? If I were to secretly exchange your PSU out in the middle of the night with a $50 one, would you be able to tell without visual inspection given you will probably change your computer in less than two years?
  4. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, definitely do not go cheap on your PSU. If it goes it has a good chance of taking your whole system with it.
  5. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    possibly when in the middle of the day magic smoke starts pouring out the back and my pc shuts down
  6. kciaccio New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cheap is the $14.99 one I just saw in the new Micro center mailer. Can you be more specific on what we consider cheap here?
  7. kciaccio New Member

Thanks Received:
    Possibly, but I have never had that happen to me with the 20 or so computers I have used in my life.
  8. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    See the problem here is you want to power two video cards, apparently of unknown variety (my favorite kind).

Otherwise I'd do this:
    Recertified: PC Power and Cooling S61EPS-B 610W Co...

Getting a factory recertified PSU from a top end company is never a bad idea and it saves money.
    jsfitz54 says thanks.
  9. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Higher quality components used warrants higher prices, but higher quality PSU= less of a chance something will blow out and take other components with it.

Your power supply is definitely not something you want to go cheap on, but you don't have to go with anything super expansive, just search around and see what are the reputable brands people are using.
  10. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    THIS. You don't have to spend $150 to get a high quality power supply, but you do have to spend what ever it takes to get enough clean power to your system. The PSU is the foundation of your system, and it's the last component you want to go cheap on. It's the one component that can take out the rest of your system if you do. Here's an example of a capable power supply that can power an "average" performance system, without breaking the bank:

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V ...
    wolf, mstenholm, digibucc and 2 others say thanks.
  11. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth New Member

Thanks Received:
    Check the reviews for the ones you're looking at. You want one that provides clean continuous power.

The cheap ones I was talking about provide surges and are prone to blowing, which is definitely not good for what is basically the heart of your system.
  12. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Step 1. Figure out your budget and your power needs.

Step 2. Browse for PSU's that meet your requirements.

Step 3. Search for 3rd party reviews and information and inform yourself.

Step 4. Make purchase based on above.
  13. kciaccio New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am just playing devils advocate here. I am not against paying for quality electronics.

I know running in the middle of your PSU's rating is the efficient sweet spot for PSU's.

I will do the math and it is looking like 700 range will be plenty, especially when I looks like all components except for GPU's are becoming a lot less energy consumers.
  14. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth New Member

Thanks Received:
    Also man, a good PSU can last you for a few builds. So you might actually save some money in the long run.
  15. MN12BIRD

MN12BIRD

Thanks Received:
    PSU's can be complex and the more and more you learn about them the more and more you realize why a good PSU is a good PSU.

We can talk all day about wattage ratings, peak vs continuous, the temperatures they're rated at, low output ripple and how that can effect the long life of capacitors on other components like your motherboard and video card. We can talk about Active Power Factor Correction, Over Current Protection, Efficiency, AC filtration, ROP surge suppression and the quality of the capacitors in the PSU itself. Efficiency alone could save you the price difference between that $50 PSU and a $100 PSU over the life of a system.

Corsair TX and HX series for example are knows for their modest real-life continuous wattage ratings, low ripple output, the new ones (V2) are 80+ Bronze certified and they have all Japanese capacitors and co-incidentally a 5-year warranty over the 3-year warranty on their lower CX models that do not have all Japanese capacitors. Most PSU's have a mixture of Chinese/Taiwanese and Japanese Capacitors and there was a Corsair rep on here one day who said he would expect a TX series PSU to be perfectly within spec well after 5 years of heavy use. Like someone said a good PSU like that could potentially last through several system builds.

No you don't need to spend $150. For what you need You can get a Corsair TX650 V2 for like $100. That's about bang on right there!

Oh and no, I don't work for Corsair lol. Any good PSU will do. I just think the TX650 V2 is your best bet for the price.
    Last edited: May 26, 2011
    jsfitz54 says thanks.
  16. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If prices are a bit shocking, you could always buy a slightly used power supply, usually for considerably less than retail pricing too.
  17. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Well, I just replaced a low cost CM extreme 700 with a PC P&C 950(got a great deal), 'cause the three week old CM decided it did not like to run the 5v at 5v under load.
    It gave me what was behind door number two: 4.195v. Computer did not like the choice of door two, either.

Yes quality counts IMO.
    :)
  18. kciaccio New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good point!
  19. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just trying to help out. Every time a system dies because of a bad PSU, I cry on the inside. Even if it's not mine. :D
  20. kciaccio New Member

Thanks Received:
    I really appreciate the amount of advice given here on this thread. It is making total sense to put money into a quality power supply now.

It is technology dumb. What I mean by that is that you CAN carry it to new builds well beyond my 2 year expected computer cycle.

It does less wear and tear on your components over those two years and makes them much more reliable.

You all have made me feel a lot more comfortable in making this investment from $50 to $150.
  21. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    Definitely makes a difference. Don`t go crazy but make sure you know which brands are reputable. Corsair is always safe AFAIK
  22. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    The brands I would suggest looking at around the 700W range are Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, and Enermax (in no particular order). My personal favorites are Corsair and Enermax.
    francis511 says thanks.
  23. kciaccio New Member

Thanks Received:

My case is white so I was going to go with this PSU. What do you think of it?

NZXT HALE90-750-M 750W ATX 12V v2.2, EPS 12V v2.91...
  24. gumpty

gumpty

Thanks Received:
    If you could choose what sort of heart & lungs to put in your chest, would you choose the $150 triathletes' respiratory system, or the $50 heart & lungs of a couch-potato who's father died of heart disease?

Also consider how much noise it makes. I paid the premium for mine, but then it is totally silent because it's so efficient the fan doesn't need to spin most of the time.
  25. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    That`s the only white one ?