• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Purchasing a new Graphic card/s

nightmeister

I have a friend who is intrested in a nice upgrade but he asked me what he should do. He likes graphic cards (Sapphire 4890 Toxic x2) but I dont know what to tell him because I know he can get 2 of the same cards I have from a local vendor for about $190 each. Should he bother getting the 4890's or should he go with the newer cards (DirectX 11 ones)? I know my cards will last me a good time before I need an upgrade but I dont want to tell him to get something that is not the newest thing. I was going to tell him to get the 5850 but to me I think mine are better;)

newfellow

System Name ID
Processor Q9450 ~3.74Ghz
Motherboard ASUS-P5E
Cooling Air
Memory G.Skill CL4-8GB
Video Card(s) ATI/Geforce 5850/9800
Storage A-lot
Display(s) BenQ G2400WT
Case 900
Audio Device(s) Shitty ASUS FX;P
Power Supply OCZ GXS 850W
Software -
Benchmark Scores too many machines to spec
atm, sure 4890 has some nice kick at least don't go to 57xx GPUs I'd say (just for memory interface being only 128-bit compared to 4890 is at 256-bit as 58xx series. I own 2 HD5850 and I have to say I am very clad on them, but what goes to DirectX 11 and so on there's absolutely nothing useful in them and as far I looked all the 5? games there's coming none really interest.

Considering the price of HD5850 and HD4890 plus waiting time if there's such for 58xx series. 4890 might just be quick painless and fast for money they sell them, atm.

(well, if we ignore AMD / ATI support forum where I just got banned for simply making argument of the moderators comment. Anything they don't like people see in their forums they delete and ban so finding bugs even is hard in there. Funny thing also he was on opinion 'Why should new ATI Graphic cards work?'. Where I asked shouldn't they be signing ATI GPU boxes 'Features might work if we ever get drivers out and by selling hardware that doesn't do what box says when bought is unfair business.', but then again NVIDIA forums doesn't work at all so it's 50/50.. ;P)