1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Purchasing a Solid State Drive - Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by travva, Mar 29, 2010.

1. travva

travva New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys I am going to be getting a cheap ssd (200 or so) and I wonder if the ocz vertex turbo is highly regarded?? I'm going to use it for win 7 installed and a few games. Let me know what you guys think.

2. travva

travva New Member

Thanks Received:
    bump also had a question about whether there's any point in going to ahci mode for a single sold state disk? can i leave it in ide and not have any performance decrease?

3. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    IDK about turbo but i know Vertex is a bad drive. I had the Vertex with the JMicron controller that caused stuttering.

just make sure there are no stuttering issues, and make sure it has TRIM if it's an OS drive - and TRIM is good to have even if it's not an OS drive...

it's not necessary but unless it will cause you problems just leave AHCI selected...

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  4. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Ok, so $200 will get you a top of the line 64GB SSD that will have very good read/write speeds. I'm gonna recommend the Corsair Nova 64GB drive:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233108

It's got amazing read/write speeds:
    It's under $200, supports TRIP for Windows 7, and is an uber fast drive for OS+2-3 games.

As far as the mode, your BIOS will have IDE for single drive interface and RAID/AHCI for multiple drive interface. Leaving it set to IDE doesn't mean your reducing bandwidth or bottlenecking the drive, it's just not paired with a second drive and not in an array.

:)

5. alucasa

alucasa

Thanks Received:
    AHCI must be enabled for TRIM to work.

Personally, I'd get either Intel SSD (for the best quality) or Kingston SSDnow V series (The cheapest, but it has acceptable quality.)

Both support trim.

For me, I am using 3 64gb Kingston SSDnow V for different rigs as boot drives. I also have one Intel X25-M 80gb for boot drive. Personally, I can't tell much difference between the cheapo SSDnow and X25-M.

digibucc says thanks.
  6. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Vertex drives do not have the stuttering problem since a long time... They are now in the very high end of SSDs, I have one, and it is AWESOME :D

7. travva

travva New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks guys. i purchased the vertex turbo so i'm going to install it tonight and see how it does! i had another question, since it seems as though i'll need ahci enabled. do i need to install the drivers for my motherboard once i load up windows 7? also, more important, i've got a 3 pin to molex connector powering one of my fans in my push pull for my h50, is it ok to to use a molex to sata power connector off of that? i figure it should be alright but i wanna be sure it's not going to make anything explode lol!

8. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Taz100420 says thanks.
  9. Taz100420

Taz100420

Thanks Received: