1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

purchasing a version of windows? i need help

Discussion in 'General Software' started by codyjansen, Aug 30, 2009.

1. codyjansen

codyjansen

Thanks Received:
    i have seen oems, upgrade retail, retail

so what is the difference? do i have to get a new copy of windows every build? i dont understand this.

2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    is your copy OEM or retail?

OEM is like what is found on say an HP or Dell you buy ready to run, retail is what people buy to install on a custom built PC.

codyjansen says thanks.
  3. Flyordie

Flyordie New Member

Thanks Received:
    There really is no difference. Just OEM is cheaper and MS provides no support for it (it will update and do all that stuff, but you can't call MS asking for help)... Also, you can only use it on the original machine it is installed... HOWEVER, they do not really enforce that part of the clause, because if that happens, there is a high chance they will go to another OS.

codyjansen says thanks.
  4. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    Price wise:

OEM - cheapest
    Retail upgrade - more expensive than OEM, cheaper than full retail
    Full retail - most expensive.

Installation wise:
    OEM - sold to companies like HP/Dell etc and is at a lower cost because it comes with less free customer support and can only be installed on one build (supposedly) You CAN re-install on the same machine and after jumping through a couple of hoops re-install it onto a new machine, but you need to call microsoft every time you do that and say the correct things to get them to allow another activation (people on TPU can say what you'd need to tell them).

Retail upgrade - This needs an existing version of windows (one listed on the list of upgradeable operating systems on the package) and just upgrades it to the new OS - if you want to install it on a new PC you need to install the old OS before you can upgrade to this one.

Full retail - this can be installed on as many different builds as you want as long as it is only installed on ONE pc at the same time and has better customer support from microsoft for free. This doesn't need any previous install of windows either.

codyjansen says thanks.
  5. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    this part isnt exactly true, while MS would like it that way, I have had up to 3 builds running the same keyed OS all fully working with updates.

codyjansen and Frick say thanks.
  6. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    True - i do have 2 machines on the same Vista Ultimate liscence, however i thought i'd skip that part as it further complicates issues as you can't just give out the key to all your mates as microsoft will get suspicious if the same key is used too many times in a short timespan on different computers, but you can normally get away with sticking it on a handful of machines.

(i was just being lazy not typing that short extra explanation on what you can get away with :p )

codyjansen and sneekypeet say thanks.