1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Purpose of these folders?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by OnePostWonder, Mar 24, 2012.

1. OnePostWonder

Thanks Received:
    Why are folders like this created?

[​IMG]

Also, do strings of characters that follow this format have a name? I don't mean that to sound silly, but they remind me of registry keys or something.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. temp02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Those are Windows updates (letters and numbers ones) and AMD display drivers (ATI or AMD ones) temporary extraction folders, you can safely delete all of those.

OnePostWonder says thanks.
  3. OnePostWonder

Thanks Received:
    Just to save my own skin, I actually knew what the ATI folder was for (but I appreciate your info nonetheless).

Glad to hear I can delete them...they just aren't attractive when you're trying to keep things clean.

4. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Yeah Xp does have a crap load of update folders.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. OnePostWonder

Thanks Received:
    I deleted most of them without any problem; two of them aren't letting me access them though (even in Safe Mode). Both of them contain an i386 folder.

I guess since they both show as 0 bytes I shouldn't worry about it. I just find them odd (and kind of annoying).

Actually, I just checked with TreeSize Free and found out that these folders are actually about 330MB between the two of them. The folder i386 contained in "c58*" has 2328 files, nevermind what's in the additional folders.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012