1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Push/Pull fans

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Kantastic, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I was reading reviews about fans in push/pull on heatsinks and radiators and I realized something... most people use two identical fans or two fans with similar CFM ratings to use for push/pull, but I don't think this would yield optimal results. The reason being a fan loses a lot of CFM if it's being blocked by so many fins on a heatsink/rad... so wouldn't it be better to use a high CFM fan for push and a lower CFM fan for pull?

2. Tom20

Tom20 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've always thought it's best to have high CFM fans push and pull :p

My fans on my radiator push 77cfm. I use Yate Loon high speed fans. I am thinking of 4 more for pull.

3. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    Short answer 'No.'

4. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    But what exactly will you be pulling? Of the 77 cfm that your Yates are rated to push, only half of that is going through the rad.

5. BraveSoul

Thanks Received:
    interesting, i would just make them equal, but my case has more pull then push due to thick dust filters on all 4 120mm fans,, if i open a hole in the case i feel air rushing in so exhaust fans help intake fans

6. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    pew pew pew

I forget where I posted this before, but pushing fans suffer from back-draft, and pull fans suffer from a lack of air volume. The pulling fans eliminate the back-draft of the push fans and that's the increase in performance. Your pull fan if more powerful than the push fan will yield the greatest results.

KieX and Kantastic say thanks.