• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Putting in a PSU??

SlipSlice

Processor AMD ATHLON 64 SAN DIEGO 3700@2.42GHZ
Motherboard ASUS A8N5X
Cooling 1X80MM CASE FAN, 1X80MM CPU FAN, 2X120MM FANS(ONE TAKING AIR OUT..OTHER FOR HARDDRIVE
Memory 1.5 GIG, DDR400 CORSAIR
Video Card(s) eVGA 7900GS KO
Storage 160GIG WESTERN DIGITAL 7200RPM
Display(s) Acer 22' Widescreen
Case ROSEWILL CASE 5600 SERIES..2 BLUE LED CASE FANS
Audio Device(s) SOUND BLASTER LIVE 24 BIT!
Power Supply SPARKLE 400 WATT
Software WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION..its gr8/LOTS OF GAMES
Sry to sound like a totally comp. noob here:laugh: , but I have just bought a new PSU, because I purchased a new graphics card that required more power..here is what i got:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustR...&SortField=0&SummaryType=ALL&Pagesize=&Page=1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817182017
:rolleyes:
I think I have some sort of idea on how to put in a PSU, but I want to make sure I do it right.

Any hints or tips on putting the PSU in would help me out a-lot. Because I want to get this thing up and running as soon as I can.

Thanks.
:)

Namslas90

Link to CPU is bad. DOn't realy matter but curious. Follow instruction included. Make sure it fits your socket. Use release lever to open socket and to lock down new CPU. BE sure to ground yourself for static by holding onto cpu case, Ensure CPU is lined up,(look for corner with missing pin or corner marker, look at old CPU while remoiving), Do not force into place, If it doesn't fall into place then it is probably not orientated properly (check corner marker-missing pin) Lock down with lever. DO NOT FORGET THERMAL PASTE/PAD. DO NOT FORGET THERMAL PASTE/PAD. DO NOT FORGET THERMAL PASTE/PAD. (Follow makers recomendation) Instal Heat sink, and plug in fan. Don't forget to plug in fan. Try boot up.

Post Questions, and Results ON Tech Power Up Forums.

If not sure ASK.

Last edited:
Didnt he say PSU? Well anyway, removing your old PSU will give you a good idea how to fit the new one. That and reading the intsrictions, youll be fine.

Namslas90

Your Right, My bad. Totaly messed that one up. It's been a long day half asleep. Psu's are a lot easier. Just follow the instructions, removing old will help installing New. Just remember to check that fans start spinning when you power up. If not then something is wrong.

SlipSlice

Motherboard ASUS A8N5X
Cooling 1X80MM CASE FAN, 1X80MM CPU FAN, 2X120MM FANS(ONE TAKING AIR OUT..OTHER FOR HARDDRIVE
alright. sounds good to me.. there is even a 4 pin molex connector on my 6800XT, so do i plug the 4 pin molex connector to the card that comes from the PSU?

Im sure you do, this card is def. a power sucker, I have read many reviews on it, and many say that a 450 watt is what they recommend just for 1. so yea. im sure you could get buy with a good brand 350 or 400 watt though. I have no worrys though because I ordered a Rosewill 550watt, with blue led lights.. it is sweet!.

System Name death machine
Processor intel 6600 quad core cooled by scythe mutgen 2
Motherboard dfi lanparty UT P35-T2R
Cooling air
Memory crucial ballistic tracer 4 gb
Video Card(s) nvida 260 gtx
Storage segate baracuta 500 GB , western digital blue 1TB
Display(s) asus 23.6 vh242h
Case lian-li pc-a70 full tower
Power Supply 650 watt Antec Earth Watts
Software windows 7 and lots of other titles
ya just plug one of the 4 pin conectors in to it

SlipSlice

Motherboard ASUS A8N5X
that is what i was planning on doing;)

but on the other stuff i think i am just going to take 1 part of a time and replace it with what fits, lol..

ohh should i test my graphics card with my current graphics card? or should i put both of my new items in and test it.

thanks

PuMA

Processor lapped C2D e6850, 3600mhz
Motherboard ASUS P5N32-E SLI (680i SLI)
Cooling NOCTUA NH-U9, 3 2x120mm 1x180mm case fans
Memory 6GB A-DATA vitesta DDR2 900mhz (2x1gb + 2x2gb)
Video Card(s) LEASTEK GTX 260 (701/1408/1105)
Storage SAMSUNG F1 640GB SATAII/SEAGATE 250gb SATAII
Display(s) SAMSUNG 226BW 1680x1050 2ms
Case ANTEC three hundred
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX, SONY surround AMP
Power Supply XION 630W
Software VISTA ULTIMATE x64
Benchmark Scores 3dmark06:15126 (701/1408/1105) vantage: 11698
just put psu in place with screwes, put craphics card in place (to AGP slot, check ur mobo manual to see wich slot is it) plug all the power cords back on ( again check ur mobo manual to see wich plug goes where) power up and ur all set.

i wouldnt worry about installing them separately, as long as you mount the PSU properly and make sure everything is connected correctly, you should be ok

SlipSlice

Motherboard ASUS A8N5X
:respect: :respect: :respect: What happened?

Ok to start off i got my PSU today, so to make sure I could actually put one in I took out my old one, and put it back in the exact same way, just for some experience.

I go to power up the system and no boot. it starts to power up the first time i try to boot, then it won't do it again. WHAT DID I DO WRONG? The only other thing that I messed with before I took out my PSU was that I took out the fans, and blew the dust out and put them back where they were. I made sure I plugged everything back up where it was supposed to go.

Can somebody please help me out on this issue, I want to make sure I am doing everything right, because I don't want that to happen to my new PSU.

most appriciation goes to you.

:respect: :respect: :respect:

Last edited:

Carcenomy

System Name Project T - the computer I've never finished!
Processor Intel Core2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard ASUS Striker Extreme
Cooling Zalman 9500AM2 with 9500AT fan on CPU, Zalman VF1000 on both GPUs
Memory 4GB Corsair XMS2 Pro DDR2-800
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTS250 OC'd 1GB w/ stock Zalman VF1050 x2 in SLI
Storage A-Data S592 64GB SSD and 2x 320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA2 in RAID0
Display(s) ViewSonic VX2433wm
Case 1997 Macase SuperMid tower. Vertical hinge sides, custom mesh front, open air path, fan controller.
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Elite Pro PCI
Power Supply Silverstone Decathlon DA750
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Hasn't been benched.
Double-check all your connections to the motherboard, sounds like a low voltage scenario.

When installing a power supply all you need to really pay super tight attention to is the motherboard connections, everything else works itself out.

For an AT/BabyAT motherboard (these are highly uncommon now) the trick to remember is Black Boys Together - the two motherboard connectors are seperate, and the black ground wires go to the centre, lest you invert the power to the board.

For an ATX motherboard (common) it became far simpler - just check your 20-pin power connector, double-check it for dust and corrosion, or any melted sockets indicating a failure. In recent times (P4 era) two more connectors appeared - a 4-pin 12V rail connector and the 6-pin P4 connector (which looks like an AT connector). These are pretty straight forward and can't be messed up, AS LONG AS YOU REMEMBER THEY'RE THERE. Leaving power off these connectors if you have them is going to prevent booting.

The latest boards are even easier again - a 24-pin power connector and an 8-pin 12V rail connector. But again, make sure you have all the appropriate plugs in the appropriate places and appropriately fastened. Nothing sucks more than panicking because you've forgot to snap a 12V rail connector right in.

Hope this helps... your old PSU shouldn't spontaneously fail, it's not an Apple... :)

khaloi

hey I am having the same problem with a dell dimension but i was wondering because its not very clear on the websites ive looked at, the motherboard pins ie the really important ones, which ones do i plug in because my old PSU had a 24pin but the newpower supply came with a 20 + a 4 pin one labelled with 12v and 2 others labelled "not for cpu" but both 4 pins and 2 of those fit into the slot but the one labelled not for cpu fits and the other does not because the plastic parts do not match up on the edges, it would fit on its own but not with the 20 pin one in as well.