1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PWM Ramp On keeps getting enabled on a fanless 3870

Discussion in 'RBE' started by Lemmytech, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lemmytech New Member

Thanks Received:
    First off thanks for the RBE - it's a fine tool.

My computer is a Dell XPS 420 (BTX form factor layout). I have 2 HD3870 cards and they are as follows:

- Dell HD3870 - Dell PN: HW621. Typical ATI red with dell modified bios and dual slot cooler.
    - Sapphire Ultimate HD 3870. Silent Heatpipe card with a large 4 pipe cooler.

The Dell card is relatively quiet even after hours of gaming. It never gets above 60C. I've never modded the bios, had noise or heat issues. I got the Sapphire card (I'm a proponent of silent computing) at a great price and it had never been modified as well. The card starts out at 59C and after hours of intense gaming I end up at 81C. It has never been beyond that.

So I did a bios dump on both and found that the Dell GPU clock speeds and voltages were lower than stock in several cases. So I adjusted the Sapphire clock/voltage settings to the Dells. I didn't touch any other setting. Since the Sapphire card is fanless, under fan settings only the middle setting is enabled - use lookup table. The other 2 are not by default.

The "dilemna" is when I save the bios it enables the PWM ramp on setting. I don't know if it is having any impact on my overall settings and cannot make any changes to the bios without that setting getting enabled. If I could change it to disable in hex I would, but I'm lost in there as to what string to look for and what to change it to. I have Hex Workshop 4.2 as well.

Is this a bug in RBE?

BTW - I took a chance and loaded the modded bios to the Sapphire card. The card starts out at 59C like before, but only went as high as 73C after some serious gaming.

Thanks again.
  2. Lemmytech New Member

Thanks Received:
    Turns out that my card idles from 43C-48C consistently. After hours of gaming it peaks at 73C. So far so good.:)

Still wondering about the PWM setting though.
  3. Lemmytech New Member

Thanks Received:
    Bagzzlash any ideas here???

Thanks in advance.
  4. BAGZZlash

BAGZZlash RBE Author

Thanks Received:
    It's not a bug, it's a feature. :rolleyes:
    Turns out that using look-up-table, many users have problems with BIOSes that do not use several default settings (e.g. PWM ramp on activated).
    If you dislike this behaviour of RBE, simply uncheck the "Write transfer function values to circumvent fan controller bug" in the fan tab.
  5. Lemmytech New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the reply.:)

I will be reflashing with what you suggested.

Kind regards.