1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

QOTW: do you still overclock your PC?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by qubit, Dec 3, 2011.

?

Do you still overclock your PC?

1. YES - I'm a hardcore overclocker

77.7%
  2. NO - overclocking is a dying hobby

18.8%
  3. I'll be trying it for the first time, soon

0.9%
  4. Comes out from under rock and asks: What is 'overclocking'?

2.7%
  1. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Hexus asks this very good question, which I think is pertinent to TPU. Since modern Intel CPU's are not designed for overclocking, except for a few models which tend to be the most expensive, thereby mostly defeating the purpose of overclocking, which is to get the performance of an expensive CPU from a cheaper CPU.

[​IMG]

2. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    Underclocking is the new "thing"

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  3. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Yes, that would have been a good option. Shame I can't edit the poll. :ohwell:

4. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    While overclocking can be fun when you get a new shiny CPU or GPU after the initial burst of overclocking it gets old pretty quick. I actually run my 1090T @ 2.8 with only 2 cores most of the time :)

qubit says thanks.
  5. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Overclocking is to me when you push something beyond its factory settings to get extra performance. Be that low or high end components. People didn't and dont buy high end components and not tweak them, it wasn't a phenomenon with the lower end, i dont think it ever has been like that. Actually, one could argue that higher end components are generally of a higher standard construction and/or have extra features, these could allow it to overclock better; extra power phases on a higher end motherboard, higher end binned cpu as examples.

I dont really see it dying at all, more and more people are doing this simply because they can. Why not get some extra performance for nothing? Its easier than ever. Manufacturers are accommodating for it with features such as unlocked multipliers and bios reset buttons on the I/O panel. Its no longer as niche so maybe it doesn't seem as cool as it did years ago. Maybe less people care about the numbers and more about real world performance so that extra 100mhz that a 2700k might be able to achieve, less people care about those sort of things.

Intel and AMD ect, they cannot afford to bin every chip to see how well they can overclock and they sell uniform products so they let us do our own overclocking. They also cannot determine the individual set ups that can effect capabilities like cooler, motherboard, psu ect.

If they took away the options to overclock someone would figure out how to do it.

6. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    Why isn't sometimes on there?

As for OCing, well, not so much anymore. My 1366 i7, even at its stock speed, plows through everything I throw at it. I haven't had the need to overclock.

I initially got into overclocking in '05 with my first self built rig. However, the CPU I chose, an Opteron 165, had a locked multiplier and would bog down in some games due to it's relatively low factory clock speed.
    So out of necessity, I overclocked it. I eventually ran it @ 2.6 24/7. Then I could play all of the games I wanted without issue. However, I made that $300 CPU run as fast as a $600 CPU. And I believe that was the whole point that the article is trying to make.

Has overclocking seen its heyday, quite possibly as it's becoming more mainstream. I think that the manufacturers have caught on to it, and there's no more "pulling one over" on "the man!"

I think it was the thrill of doing something that you're not supposed to. And now that everyone's doing it, it's becoming boring.
    Kind of how the Netherlands made pot boring by decriminalizing it. Less Dutch people smoke pot now than before the decriminalization because there's no more excitement that you might get caught. etc.

7. qubit

Thanks Received:
    I'm aghast! :eek: You my friend, are an unenthusiast! ;) j/k

8. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    It's nice to know that if i find a game that my 2 cores cant handle i have 4 more to "unlock" :)

9. jlewis02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    My 930 is at 4ghz 24/7 does it still count?

10. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    :roll:

Nice.

I do the same thing with hyperthreading.

Although, now I've gotten more into undervolting. I'm running a whopping 200MHz OC on my 920 @ .988v :rockout:

The next thing I'll tweak the snot out of will be the RAM.

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  11. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    i never stopped

why shouldnt i get the most out of my cpu that i can within some semi safe limits?

running 2600K @ 4.7 24/7

Radical_Edward says thanks.
  12. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    I voted yes, but I wouldn't consider myself "hardcore".

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. bbmarley

Thanks Received:
    this ^

14. jagjitnatt New Member

Thanks Received:
    Overclocking used to be cool when it was tough to do. I remember playing with a Willamette P4 1.6 Ghz which used to touch 2 Ghz, and that's when the on board audio would cut out. Lol.

We had so many different settings to tweak, and everything would have to be done manually.

I also used a Radeon 9200SE, and OCed it to 320/166 from 200/166. Was hell of an overclocker back in the day. Then came software VCore controls on the X1900 series. That was fun too. We didn't have much tools back then, and bios was the only way for CPUs.

Now its so much easier that it isn't an adventure anymore. Heck, everything is so easier nowadays, I wonder whats the new definition for an Enthusiast.

15. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I can get why you'd give it up on older procs, but on SB not bumping it up to at least 4-4.2 Ghz is a waste. Set and forget. Most will do 4 at the stock 95w if you set the offset manually. And as usually I'm ignoring the poll. Idk why but nobody seems to make a poll that represents me. I wouldn't call it hardcore without LN2 or at least a nutty w/c setup, that's not the majority here at all.

16. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    ^ This again.

Though at one time I did use a peltier. Got my Pentium 200 MMX to 250! ;) Also made a water block once, though it was on an old system I was just playing around with.

Most of the time I just went for the chips with easy jumps. P3-650E @ 866Mhz, X2 3800+ @ 2.5Ghz, Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz to name a couple. Set it and forget it. Never had to adjust a winter overclock for summer temperatures or anything like that.

17. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I cant oc my 2400 i5 anyway really, but is there any need to oc a 3ghz quad core really, it runs all my games sweet and windows doesn't even use it to max anyway really.

18. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    There is truth is simple..
    Everyone who try overclocking and success will never leave it, even if fail many times after.

19. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Another non-"hardcore" overclocker here. I bought my first chip, a Pentium D 805, based on an article I read about it being the lowest-end dual-core, but still able to hit almost 4ghz on air. I ran that thing 24/7 at 3.74~3.9ghz.

Then, when it was time to upgrade, I was about to buy an E8400, but happened to notice this little gem, E7200. It had a lower stock clock, but that was due to a lower FSB while still having the same multiplier, so it was essentially the same chip with less cache and for a much nicer price. I snatched that up immediately.

Now, I got myself a 2500-K. With the small price difference between it and the regular 2500, I see no reason not to get a K and push it as far as you can on whatever cooling solution you have. Might as well get the most for your money.

20. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    I've had my fair share of OCing in the past but I've only done that in two kind of situations:

1) when I had no cash and had to take whatever I could afford as far as it could go (Celeron OCing was a common thing I did in my teens)

2) when my current hardware is becoming obsolete and I want to get a little more life out of it. I OCed my P4 2.4C to 2.8GHz, then my P4 3.0E to 3.65Ghz, C2D E4600 to 3Ghz and finally my PDC E5800 to 3.7Ghz. I don't overvolt.

I run stock most of the time. With CPUs as powerful as they are nowadays, overclocking isn't as relevant as it was. Even a Celeron Dual Core can offer adequate performance for gaming.

BlackOmega says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    even a shit pentium dual on a poor asus p41 mobo has a little extra to give:)

More than 25k PPD
  22. arnoo1

Thanks Received:
    I always buy cpu's/ gpu's that do overclock like hell, i always try to get the best performans out of parts

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  23. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Of course!

[​IMG]

24. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Some might not agree with me but I see not overclocking as lost potential. Like you have a fast car but insist on driving it comfortably at 30mph.

Overclocking helps game performance too, which is the main reason why I do it (apart from having a relatively old E8400 cpu which has to feed a 5970 rendering at 2560x1440). Taking Skyrim for example, it's very cpu-demanding (and it only uses 2 cores of the cpu). On other forums I read posts saying that they got increases of 10 or more fps by overclocking the cpu. I might be checking how the game runs at stock 3Ghz instead of at 4Ghz....

Hardcore? I voted for it because the other 3 options won't make sense for me. But I'm hardly hard-core. The thought of watercooling terrifies me a bit.. :eek:

25. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Hardcore clocking can use air too, :) uh-huh. I'd call your laptop clocking hardcore, BP! :roll: