1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

qstion about general oc on videocards

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by xtzc, Jun 30, 2007.

1. xtzc

xtzc New Member

Thanks Received:
    hey again guyz..i was wondering the other day..witch is most important,GPU oc or RAMM oc,i whant to do some test with my 6600and i dont whant to overdo it:))

2. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Overclocking the core will give you more results than the memory, approx a 5Mhz core overclock will equal a 15-20 Mhz memory overclock but it makes sense to do both, if you use ATi tool (even tho its an Nvidia card) you can use artifact scanner to make sure you are not pushing too hard on both memory and core, once you find your max on both then you can drop both by 5-10mhz to be safe and there you are, you must keep your eyes on the temps whixh are also shown in ati tool to ensure at full load ideally you dont go above the 70's C.

What you should remember is that as you increase core speed, the core is looking for increased memory bandwidth to move the data more quickly because it is working more quickly, thats why it's important to raise memory speed as well, plus some cards wont reach their core max without raising the memory speeds in tandem.......make sense?

3. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    GPU...But in either way you can also OC the ram without problems.
    My Bro used to have an 6600GT and we managed to squeeze 10-15% more fps in games :)

4. xtzc

xtzc New Member

Thanks Received:
    tnx alot guyz..i didnt expect such a quick response..my old 9600pro got @ default speeds 8800in 3dmark01 and oc +50Mhz (core + memory) about 9750 pts.....ive asked because i never had an nvidia card before(kinda a ati fan here:))and i didnt what to screw up my vc in the first week..btw this A6600gets @default clock speeds 10800 pts

5. xtzc

xtzc New Member

Thanks Received:
    HellasVagabond ..dude.. your sys specs are DIVINE!! :pP..i wish i had one of those..:D

6. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    No they aint...They will be once my quad core and another 2gb of ram arrive....And when i get the new Nvidia GPU in september :)

7. cjoyce1980 New Member

Thanks Received:
    combo of CPU and GPU overclock will result in better game play

8. D_o_S

D_o_S Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Once you get to a certain point, overclocking the memory will prove more rewarding, as the GPU will lack data it needs from the memory to do its calculations.

GPU clock is generally more important than memory clock though.