1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Quad 7990's Game Rig

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by OneHotOutSpokenBitch, Feb 25, 2012.

1. OneHotOutSpokenBitch New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wanted to post in hopes of getting some feedback on a new game rig I'm wanting to build.
    I'm looking to build the BEST and FASTEST gaming rig possible. I'm wanting a motherboard that will support dual processors . It needs to support the latest processors known to man with the best performance over all the others on the market with the latest sockets possible. (Please, this isn't a joke, or wanting to brag about wanting the best of everything, I just prefer the latest and fastest in technology for what I'm wanting).

Money isn't an issue either so please, don't hold thoughts back on what I'm wanting to build. :) As for motherboard I was looking at the EVGA dual processor board :

http://www.buy.com/prod/evga-270-ws...herboard-hptx-2x-intel-lga1366/217527307.html .

However, it has sockets 1136 on it. Is there a board that has later sockets that would allow dual processors that would support the latest processors known to technology ? Also would need to have support for quad 7990's . I am wanting to run 6 SSD's at 600gb's each with 1 2terabyte hd for file/screen shot storage. As for other hardware,memory rom drives ect. I know what I want . Powersupply(s) on the other hand I''m not to sure which is the best to get. I only know that it's going to require alot of "juice" to power my dreamer's game rig. :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2012
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You are going to want a dual socket LGA 2011 motherboard. They aren't out yet, but soon. This is fine since 7990's aren't out yet either. FYI you cannot crossfire four 7990's, only two. 4 GPU's is the maximum.
    OneHotOutSpokenBitch says thanks.
  3. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    Wouldnt 4 individual 7970's theoretically be faster than 2 7990's?

If so, you'd be better off with 4 7970's instead of 2 7990.

This shouldn't be a problem if you're going for a dual socket mobo however, they usually feature enough space and connectivity for 4 graphics cards.

Also, if you're going for absolutely top performance, you might want to think about a 5th(in case of 4x 7970) graphics card from Nvidia for running Physx.

Edit: currently the fastest Physx card you can buy is the GTX580.
  4. OneHotOutSpokenBitch New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, first thanks for you're input. However I did say Quad, meaning 4 cards. I prefer ATI over Nvidia for gaming reasons.Ati is a bit faster and easier to set settings .Nvidia you have to manipulate settings and hope last setting for a feature doesn't reset. I'm a gamer hardcore. I want the next and best and fastest of everything for my personal rig. Might take me 2 months to do the "homework" and thinking things through before I build this rig, but it will be well worth it . Soon as it's built, I'll be posting pictures and specs for all to see . :)
  5. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    Then you'd definately want 4x 7970, together with an optional 5th Physx card.

Driver limitations prevent one from using more than 4 GPU's for rendering your game, so there is sadly no way you can use quad 7990, unless you get someone to tweak the drivers for you(but this will probably not result in a great boost of performance, as scaling reduces when more GPU's are added.
  6. OneHotOutSpokenBitch New Member

Thanks Received:
    Then why is it they make motherboard's to hold multiple card's like I'm wanting then ? With out losing performance and such? Sounds kinda lame in a sense.I'd think they'd of taken it into consideration about the drivers that would be needed to support that number of cards for the motherboard .
  7. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    There are probably a couple of reasons why it is currently limited to 4 GPU's.

The first thing is that when more and more GPU's are used, performance added with each GPU gets less and less, most probably because the overhead gets greater when more GPU's are used, and calculations get more complex.

Secondly, all of the GPU's need an individual stream of instructions. All these instructions need to come from the processor and trough the PCI-E lanes. I agree, that with the amount of PCI-E bandwith and processing power you are going to get from your system, you will not run into a bottleneck on that front quickly, but normally, users with only 1 processor and 32PCI-E lanes are going to get bottlenecked with more than 4 GPU's.

These reasons, together with the fact that probably only 0,0001%(if not less) of the users is going to want to buy more than 4 GPU's, and even less have the processing power/bandwith to do so, probably made the driver team decided it was not worth it to expend even more effort in writing drivers that support more than 4 GPU's(I'm not even sure it would require alot of effort to write those).

This

Or,

The hardware simply isnt constructed to allow for interaction between more than 4 GPU's.:laugh:

I dont know really, but these would be my educated guesses :p.

Anyhow, I do agree, it is a bit misleading to have that many PCI-E lanes available when you cannot use them all together, and it would've been awesome if crossfire(or SLI for that matter) would've supported more than 4 GPU's.
  8. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Are you building the system yourself?

A quadfire 7970 set up would be very noisy. You might want to blow some more cash on water cooled cards and link up to a kick ass loop.

Imagine the dream rig you want, and now imagine it being quiet.

Also,

Not always...

[​IMG]

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/4...b_video_cards_in_3_way_crossfirex/index8.html

Why does my link to an image location keep disappearing?

It's very game dependant.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  9. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    Yep, was just looking at that aswell, Link, its a dutch site, but the table is very informative(and readable for english ppl).

However, it is the case with most of the games, and it was even worse with past generations.
  10. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    3 GPUs(whether 3 seperate cards or two cards, or whatever) is the most optimal configuration.

With X79, there are only specfic PCIe configurations possible that are supported natively:

2x x16 and 1x x8
    1x x16 and 3x x8
    1x x16, 2x x8, and 2x x4
    4x x8

Even the EVGA X79 board only has 5 PCIe slots. "2x x16 and 1x x8" is a configuration that is directly connected to the CPU in some boards without any bridging components, making for the best configuration possible.

The AMD 6990 only has one Crossfire finger, making the use of more than two cards together for 3D rendering impossible:

[​IMG]

I bet 7990 will have only one finger as well, although there are some rumours of future driver support for more GPUs, but this may be something that is only supported for GPGPU purposes. Currently, use of more than 2 6990's in gaming is NOT supported.
  11. OneHotOutSpokenBitch New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I will be building this rig myself. I have others I have built. The first I built was an Intel pentium 4 computer which is when I first started gaming. That computer was nothing fancy, but at same time graphics cards were nothing like they are today.

I will say though the p4 I built is still up and runing, and has same hardware in it from day it was built with the exception of adding a watercooler to cool the maturing processor.The video card is the Nvidia 9500gt. With that setup it still makes a decent pcfor watching videos/movies , but unfortunately not for games anymore unless it's browser games which I don't care for .

As for a quadfire setup, I know it would be noisy, but the tower itself will be in an enclosed climate controlled room to help with cooling. So noise isn't really an issue. As for waterblocks for the cards, I did take that into consideration, and they will be water cooled, just as processors will be .

Thanks for youre thoughts,

Anne

12. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    :eek:

Do you live on one of Saturns freaking moons?

And will you marry me? You have way too much cash :D
  13. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    Out of curiosity, what resolution are you going to be playing at?
  14. OneHotOutSpokenBitch New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh I wish I lived on one of Saturn's moons lol

First off, I am single lol I'm just one that loves technology, and loves building computers. I have been like this since elementary/middle school. First computer I ever used was an old TRS 80 made by radioshack. I'd skip math class, go to the library and play math games on it . Then I'd start messing command prompt, then it went from there. Then I got banned from library when I decided to edit grades for others for a "price". Was some fun times back then . :)

Anyway, I've always dedicated myself to technology/computers :) . Will admit be nice to have someone to share my same intrests where technology/computers are my intrest. :)

15. OneHotOutSpokenBitch New Member

Thanks Received:
    Honestly, I'm not exactly sure what resolution .I'm still trying to decide between using monitors or tv as a monitor.I say this because of lighting and the difference of color and vividness between monitor/lcd tv. I usually try both out before deciding once I buil a system. I will say the rig I have for gaming now is hooked to a 40 inch lcd hd 1080p tv. Resolution is at 1920x1080 which is native.

16. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    Since you're already going to be spending $5k+ on a computer why not get three 30 inch 2560x1600 monitors?

/skeptical of Trump-like fortune.
  17. OneHotOutSpokenBitch New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just might. Like I said though I normally like deciding on what route to go after seeing how each performs before deciding monitors or tv. I'm thinking of placement and normal room lighting as to what would be a better choice for what I'm wanting. :)

Thanks ,

Anne

18. crazyblane New Member

Thanks Received:
    4 7990s is not going to be enough

4 7990s are not going to be enough to run the latest games on 6 monitors at 2560x1600 in 3D.

My suggestions for your super rig: (This machine is going to blow your current P4 9500GT monster system out of the water!)

Assuming you possibly have friends in the industry that are willing to develop the last two for free we are talking anywhere between $24,930 and $624,930.

If money is not a limiting factor I'd say you've got a killer upgrade on the horizon!:rockout:
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  19. happy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Man I wish I had the same attitude you have right now. :p:eek::rolleyes:
  20. happy New Member

Thanks Received:
    If he builds that, I want to be his friend forever!!:rockout::D
  21. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Good god some one has a big epeen!
  22. Fitseries3

Fitseries3 Eleet Hardware Junkie

Thanks Received:
    you can run 2 sets of dual gpu cards but you have to know how to mod the drivers to run that way.

2 pairs in either 4+4 sli or xfire.

i toyed with it before i sold my high end stuff.

1920x1080 isnt at all "high resolution" by computer standards.

now if you wanted to run 6 or even 12 30" dell or mac lcds at full res, well then you'd have a problem with gpus.

i guess my point from all this is.... because after all, i have been well known for over the top cray setups in the past... its simply overkill.

i havent touched a 7k card yet but im quite certain that 1-4 7970's would be way more than enough to power 6 lcds at 1920x1080. hell... something older like a 6990 or even 5870 ef6 would do just fine on most games.

if you want balls out speed though.... high end hardware wont make you happy... you'll have to look into highly overclocking all that gear to see the numbers you are wanting.

sr2 is great but worthless for games. when i played even the most crazy games on my sr2 it used 4 threads max out of 24 available. the cpus sat idle 90% of the time.... hence why i started folding with it.

sr2 is old news. srx is OK at best. what you dont relize though is you'll spend $6000 getting an sr2 + 2 cpus + ram + psu to even boot it up. not to mention gpus , case, hdds, etc.

the new srx is a great board BUT you cant OC SB-E chips on any board. not like anyone would hope. keep in mind.... xeons have locked multi's and there is very little headroom to oc via qpi on 1155/2011 chips. yes 2011 has qpi straps to help OC but you will be limited by the motherboard because on dual cpu setup, the board needs far better cooling than its single socket counterparts. also, intel has locked the straps on xeons so its pointless to go srx unless you just like the looks of it and want to run stock speeds.

you would be better off sticking with a x79 and waiting for a 10core cpu if cores + OCing is what you want.

all in all..... supercomputers are awesome and have high drool factor but are pointless if all you are doing is gaming.

that is coming from me... someone whos had hands on experience.
    INSTG8R says thanks.
  23. Marineborn

Marineborn New Member

Thanks Received:
    thats a very nice build your gonna have.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  24. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    How small is your dick that you need some thing like this though? I mean MAN this is like the guy that has the Huge monster truck in his drive way he takes to work EVERY DAY and takes to the corner store to get his smokes!
  25. Fitseries3

Fitseries3 Eleet Hardware Junkie

Thanks Received:
    in my case... its hard to turn down when it is being practically given to you.