1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Quad on a budget and SSD, business

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by n-ster, Jan 20, 2010.

1. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Budget computer that includes a SSD :eek: So this is going to be for my Uncle's work...

I want a Quad core and 4gb of RAM as well as a SSD of total space of 60gb+ .... I need a receipt for EVERYTHING, so if used items are suggested, I'll have to confirm if he has the receipt...

AM3 or AM2+ is OK, or lga 775?

DDR3>DDR2 but not a must

I was thinking about the 100$ quad from AMD... athlon II x4 620

shipping is 07660 (NJ, US) or h3t 1l8 (Montreal, Canada) a mix of both countries doesn't matter.
    Microcenter is available, prefer shopping from Microcenter, Newegg (CA or US), ncix (us or ca), tigerdirect (ca or us),Zipzoomfly, amazon (ca or us) and similar

I'm thinking I would like a quite 30-40$ CPU cooler too, though quite is not a must. This chip needs to last at least 5 years :D

The SSD will probably be the OCZ agility 60gb
  2. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Whats the budget for the SSD, local Frys has a 64gb for 109, or at least they did yesterday or the day before.

I do have the receipt avail for my Phenom (photocopy) not for the Athlon as we discussed.
    n-ster says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    The Phenom is way to good for this xD I do not have a Fry's beside me but bogmali could maybe get it for me :) thxs for the info I'll look for it
  4. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Why spend money on an SSD, but then not put money in a decent computer that can actually take advantage of it?
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  5. Fitseries3

Fitseries3 Eleet Hardware Junkie

Thanks Received:
    if you cold do without the receipt you could almost cut the cost in half.
  6. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    receipt includes any proof of payment that isn't too old... it HAS to have it, else we get fined :eek:

SSD is more reliable than a HDD and it is much faster and I'm sure that anything better than a netbook or low end laptop takes advantage of the SSD alot

anyone know what the SSD deal from fry's is?

my budget for SSD is about 200$
  7. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't say they are more reliable, especially not with cheaper drives that lack proper TRIM support and wear levelling.

Really, I wouldn't put an SSD in anything short of a high end build, as you won't see a benefit worth the price, and an X4 620 ain't a high end build. I'd buy a normal hard drive and put the money into other parts of the computer, more RAM or a better processor, where the money will show more of a benefit.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  8. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    SSD's haven't been long enough for us to be sure that is true, but I agree on paper they are better.
  9. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    x4 620 btw :p not x2...

I might consider bumping it up to a PII 965 build... and the SSD I am getting is great quality IMO, OCZ agility
  10. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    If you must have a receipt, make an order for the item off Newegg, snap a screenie/print the invoice, then cancel it right away before it's processed/shipped. :D
  11. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't want to get my Uncle in trouble though :( and imana be using the business' credit card or cash or other....

anyone wanna help me do a full build?