1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Quadfire . . .

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by imperialreign, Jun 20, 2009.

1. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    . . . woes.

well, TBH, the setup is only operating in trifire.

Will CrossfireX not be available for a specific GPU if that PCIE slot is running in x1 mode?

I've come to the conclusion that such is the case (although I don't have the knowledge to prove such) . . . I guess, I could yank out my X-Fi for the moment, and double check. The 3rd card (HD4870) is recognized by Vista, GPU-Z and CCC, but crossfire with this card is unavailable . . .

Anyone know for sure?

If I can't get the 4th GPU enabled, it's looking like I might be selling a HD4870 in the near future . . . I'm not giving up my X-Fi for e-peen! :p

2. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    You'll see little to no performance gain running in x1 mode. I believe x16/x4 crossfire already deals a heavy loss of performance compared to x16/x16 or even x16/x8.

3. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:

yeah - what I was wondering, though, is whether or not the 3rd card will be fully disabled from CrossfireX if it's running in x1.

x4 or x1 I could live with, simply for the slight boost to AA/AF the card would offer, but if running in x4 requires me to pull my current X-Fi, that's a deal breaker.

If such is the case, I might even entertain the thought of selling both 4870s to pickup another 4870x2 . . . :D

4. Velvet Wafer

Velvet Wafer New Member

Thanks Received:
    whats whith 8/8 performance for 2 hd 4850?