1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Quadruple Monitor, 2 different Cards (ATi + Nvidia)

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by X-90, Aug 13, 2009.

1. X-90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I installed a 4890 Vapor-X by Sapphire. I had an extra PCI-e x16 slot so I threw in my 9800GT for Quadruple-Monitor.

For some reason, my 4890 Won't initialize at all. My 9800GT Starts up fine. I tried swapping the 4890 and the 9800GT's slots to no avail.

As far as the computer can tell, the 4890 doesn't even exist. When I take out the 9800GT the 4890 works like normal.

When I start up Catalyst, it gives me an error telling me that I have wrong drivers. I have both the 4890vapor-x drivers and the 9800GT's drivers installed.

I read some place that if the video card has a boot-up/bios screen, it will initialize last or not at all. I updated my bios to the latest and I got no options to initialize the 4890 first.

Is it possible to use these 2 together? (NOT Intended for sli/X-fire). I will be fine taking out the 9800GT and putting it to some better use.

EDIT: Vista on SLi board.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  2. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Having nvidia and ATI drivers together is generally not such a good idea.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. SamHughe New Member

Thanks Received:
    Which OS are you running?
  4. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yup, this is near impossible in Vista, capable in XP, but from what I read, way easier to use in Windows7.
    X-90 says thanks.
  5. SamHughe New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah that's where I was going with my question.
  6. Morrison5891

Morrison5891 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Even in XP its not easy ...
  7. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    thats why I ended with W7 is way easier...lol
  8. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    mixing the two doesnt play well. it can work in XP, but it can also go bad and screw up your drives making the OS not boot.

His isnt fixable in drivers, as he isnt getting an image at all - i had that on an SLI board once, if an nvidia card was present, an ATI card wouldnt give an image (even if it was PCI)
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
    X-90 says thanks.
  9. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    I ran the combo once, but I only had drivers in for the main ATI card, the second card ran in XP under the default NV drivers. Got an image on 3 screens, never ran the fourth.
  10. X-90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You guys are quite right, I am on vista with an SLI board. Used to run 9800GT's in SLi but found a deal on a 4890, so I sold one of the 9800GT's to pay for part of the 4890. Wanted to use Quadruple monitor without having to switch out of SLI or losing similar performance. Now I'm back to 2.

I've formatted this computer with Windows 7 some time ago, but I took out the hard drive to use it with another computer.

I'll re-migrate to Windows 7 when I have enough space for another partition. May be a while...
  11. SamHughe New Member

Thanks Received:
    Please report back when you have a chance after you try this out.
  12. X-90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just ordered a 750GB hardrive, will format it with Windows 7 and will try the Combo again. Should come next week.
  13. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    i thought it would work with both cards as long as you didnt install catalyst control center or the nvidea control panel by just installing the drivers on there own. you might have to go into your bios and select a different card to boot both before windows will recognize it. i had that problem when i was running an ati 1900xtx and a x800gt all in wonder in a pci-e x4 slot i had to select the x800 as the primary card or windows wouldn't recognize it or the tv tuners.
  14. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    I strongly recommend to AVOID mixing driver sets. Reason: each independent driver will "compete" for the same GPU resources and address space. There is no guarantee that a driver from one company will be "aware and friendly" to another GPU competing for the same "hooks" into the OS and memory space.

If you want to go quad monitor, then I suggest you sell the other 9800GT and go with a 4830. Same drivers. Will be compatible. You might be able to use a 4770, but I think the 4830 will give you less problem due to architectural changes on the 4770.

*** NOTE ***

I have had problems mixing drivers on ATI, e.g. a PCI card and an AGP card. Try as best you can to find SLI or Crossfire compatible cards, then just run them in single mode for quad output.
  15. X-90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I'm on windows 7 now, and I don't know where to begin.

I actually E-mailed Sapphire for tech support for a DIFFERENT problem (graphical corruption in several games on sprites with Anti-Aliasing) and they said that my card may actually be damaged. I don't know if this affects my position at all with using 2 cards.

I have my 9800GT plugged, same with my 4890. I did a little more reading around and it seems my board is just incapable of using 2 different cards. No BIOS option to start the ATi card first. I will take Lemonade's advice and attempt to get another ATi card. Maybe exchange my card due to the possible damage.

BUT if it's still possible, extra info from Win7.

In device manager, it only sees the 9800GT.
    4890 produces no heat, fan spins though. On-card LED turns on.
    Catalyst Tells me I have the wrong drivers, so it doesn't initialize. Tells me to check Device Manager.
    Have first port on 9800GT plugged. Have DVI, and VGA plugged on 4890 (fourth monitor is stored away).

But it looks like this is the end. the 4890 gives me graphical corruption and I can't run it alongside my 9800GT, so I'm aiming to Exchange it for a new one.