1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

qubit's Sandy upgrade

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by qubit, Nov 29, 2011.

1. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    It was the OP that said "My current one is a Gigabyte (see specs) and it's been flawless for almost three years now, so this is my preferred brand"

John, I've been seeing a lot of your posts round here recently and I've got to say: Please keep your opinions as your opinions; and stop forcing them down everyone's throat. You are obviously very knowledgable and will be a credit to TPU, but come on man, an opinion is just an opinion. Calm down a bit!

I don't want to derail the thread more than it already has been so that's all I'm saying.

INSTG8R says thanks.
  2. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for all your great replies, everybody. :cool: I've updated my OP to clarify a couple of points.

Why? Basically what John said:

But yes, you're right, I just wanted the top model and I wanted an i7, because they are faster in the reviews due to the greater cache. The "we told him" bit John is referring to is this thread: Get the 2600K or the 2700K, that is the question? Notice the dodgy grammar in the title? :eek: So, it looks like the 2700K is more than just a multiplier value better, which I kinda suspected. And yes, there's only a few pounds difference between that and the 2600K, so it's pretty much a no-brainer.

I did look at the Gigabyte website at their UEFI implentation and all I could find was this hybrid BIOS with 3TB+ support, which seems to beg for compromises and potential problems. However, bta posted a news article the other week about Gigabyte's new UEFI implementation with a "3D" look, so perhaps it's worth looking out for mobos based on it? While I do like Gigabyte and their board designs (dual BIOS especially, for piece of mind) I will switch brand if need be.

3. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    What about a Noctua NH-C14, you could have some RAM clearance issues but the performance is very good and isn't noisy (atleast for my standards)

4. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    i got the p8z68-v its cheap, has 3 pci-e slots, in proper layout, usb 3, sata3, and i have my i7 2600K running @ 4.7 for 4 month now without one freakin problem, settings are pretty much this : multi 47x100bclk, and voltage 1.350

but ive also heard VERy good things about the new ASRock board, the extreme series, think its extreme 4, with the gold caps, supposed to be around same overclocking as the maximus boards

memory is not a big factor for SB, just choose some regular whatever you find, like vengeance, they look good too, i got the 8gb 1600mhz cl9 kit works fine.

cooler, try the NZXT Havik, its supposed to be one of the best, or take a look @ tweaktowns cooler testing section :) very good guy who test the coolers, cases and such there :)

5. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    only problem with the V, LE, LX and Pro when we talk Asus P8Z68 is this:

The PCIe x16_3 slot shares bandwidth with PCIe x1_1 slot, PCIe x1_2 slot, USB3_34 and eSATA. The PCIe x16_3 default setting is in x1 mode.

that's what i see of a problem since Asus didn't wanna use a PLX chip on them, bcs they mean it will be to expensive and it will roll out all their models :nutkick:

6. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. mik New Member

Thanks Received:
    I prefer ASUS boards because of the multiple on-board fan headers which can control fan speed via desktop software Fan Expert. I really liked that P6X58D-E was able to do 24w on the cpu_fan, so I have a pwm y cable for my dual tower CPU cooler. 24w gives me lots of headroom should i ever want to drive really high cfm fans. Fan Expert was able to calibrate itself with the fans' rpm, so I could make my User profile for at what CPU temp and what %fan speed combo how ever I wanted.
    Frostytech does reviews on most major air coolers. Though I have a Noctua NH-D14 now, I wish I had the Aegir.. after reading their review of Xigmatek's Aegir being more quiet for near similar performance.
    Are you still going to use the HAF 922 like in your system spec? How many case fans?

8. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Ok people, I've now decided on a mobo, but before I get it I'd like your opinions on it.

I really wanted to get another Gigabyte mobo, but because they don't do UEFI yet, I've had to abandon them. BUT! Check out this TPU news on their new 3D BIOS (UEFI) which looks amazing. As far as I can tell, it's only gonna be for LGA 2011 boards for now, unfortunately. Anyone know if it's coming to LGA 1155 soon? You can see Gigabyte's 3D BIOS launch page here.

I was initially looking at the MSI Z68A-GD55 (G3) which seems a nice mobo and in fact cadaveca reviewed the MSI Z68A-GD65 (for the life of me, it's not clear what the difference between the 55 & 65 are, as MSI doesn't show any difference). The MSI website isn't very detailed with its specs either and from cadaveca's review, it appears to have an 8+2 phase VRM.

I then looked at the Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 mobo and this baby has a 12+4 phase VRM and has more features generally than the MSI. I then saw that for another £20, I can get the P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 which has a bit more features. Also, the standard of English in the documentation is better with Asus than MSI, which is more important than you think, although not a dealmaker/breaker.

I looked up a couple of reviews and the Asus seems really good, especially with its VRM and UEFI, therefore, I've decided on the Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3. It will cose me a fairly pricey £160.

What do you think - is this a good choice?

RAM: I'm just gonna find some branded DDR3 1600 sticks and get 8 or 16 gigs of those in two sticks, depending on price.

Cooler: I'll just use the stock cooler for a bit. I wanna let the heat from the credit card cool off a bit first. :laugh:

Yup, my beloved HAF 922 ain't going nowhere. As far as fans go, it has none.

What! :eek:

Hehe, that's because it lives permanently with the side panel off, as I'm always tinkering around inside, so doesn't need fans.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  9. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    That will be a very solid choice. Though being a pro it's really only got 12 relevant vrms. The other 4 are for the igpu. Not that it makes a difference.

qubit says thanks.
  10. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    I have built something like five 1155 systems for friends (even though I just do it for fun) and four of them sport an ASUS motherboard! No one of them has encountered issues, just one which had bluescreens with a Vertex 3 drive, I still think that it was the drive SF controller as we know OCZ had some troubles with it.
    Both are PCIe 3.0 Ready and that's what matters in terms of future-proofing as I think Ivy Bridge motherboards will not be and should not be called upgrading since the only difference is that they will support USB 3.0 natively... big deal, controllers can do that just fine!
    VRMs are strong and willing to squeeze your 2700k so here we are covered ;)

These are the differences between the 2 motherboards

SO! I think that the extra SATA 6Gb/s will come in handy, better have them for a small sum than regretting later and having to purchase an additional PCIe SATA controller!

I like the PCIe configuration a lot, the switch are good because you'll have two 8x @ 3.0 or 16x @ 3.0 that'll be more than enough for the future.

You can't be wrong with ASUS, every single motherboard I've owned lately is from ASUS (R2E and RIVE now)
    No disappointments so far! :rockout:

Hope this helps :toast:

qubit says thanks.
  11. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Oops, that was a blatant typo! :laugh: Fixed, thankyou. A solid choice, great. :)

It does help. And yes, besided the extra SATA, it's got IEEE support which I'll never use, lol.

So you've had direct and good experience with them. That sounds great. :)

Interestingly, the board supports Crossfire & SLI. While I wouldn't buy it specifically for this feature, it does mean that I can play with SLI using my two 8800 Ultras that I got cheaply some time ago. :cool:

12. X800

X800

Thanks Received:
    I have this Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B CPU cooler at my clocks its 48-50c while playing. I ordered theese for my new build CPU_Intel Core i7 2700K + Asus Maximus IV GENE-Z Z68 + Corsair 8GB KIT PC3-14900 DDR3-1866 CL9 Vengeance .This helpep me to choose the motherboard http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/Maximus_IV_Gene-Z/

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  13. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    But that's an mATX right? I think qubit is looking for a full ATX motherboard

14. Sinzia

Thanks Received:
    the Pro is a solid choice, I have nothing to add other than that. :)

keep us posted on the system build!

qubit says thanks.
  15. qubit

Thanks Received:
  16. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    It matches your motherboard colors perfectly, you're going to have a nice build qubit!
    Now all you'll need is an heatsink to keep the 2700k cool but that one can wait, you're going to see a giant increase over your old CPU even at stock! :rockout:

qubit says thanks.
  17. linoliveira

linoliveira

Thanks Received:
    gratz for you'r nice build! :)

If i were you i just would change 1 thing, the RAM! Because i like high clocks! xD
    I got my 2x4GB 2133Mhz CL11 1.5v kit for ~ 60pound, tweaked it to CL10 and its pretty awesome.

Regarding your cooler, as far as few reviews i see, the noctua coolers look the way to go (low noise and good temps).
    LINK - LINK - LINK

I picked the last Cooler Review so you can compare temps with a vast list :b

qubit says thanks.
  18. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    like i said before, high speed RAM is really not important on SB, so that would be a utter waste of money really.

rather spend them on a ssd, better gpu, or something else

19. linoliveira

linoliveira

Thanks Received:
    I know I know, I'm a clock freak, but take a look -> HERE

Latencies are lower and the speed is just... amazing!! I spent ~ 10pound more on the 2133Mhz kit that i wont regreat :b
    This is how I see things, and i know you barely notice in real world performance.

20. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Any update on your build? What board did you end up with?

qubit says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    LifeOnMars says thanks.
  22. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    AWWW IM BLIND! *pokes his eyes out!* That is a BADASS board! Cant wait to see more updates!

qubit says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hope the build goes well Q, benchies please and a nice review of components :)

qubit and brandonwh64 say thanks.
  24. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    +1

we def need some benches!

LifeOnMars says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Hold your horses people, I'm building up to a great update! :)

Gimme a bit to finish dinner please, lol.

LifeOnMars says thanks.