1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

qubit's Sandy upgrade

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by qubit, Nov 29, 2011.

1. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
  2. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    That's a nice bundle, actually. :toast: Gigabyte is my brand of choice, if I can get them. However, my current Asus is great too and I chose it because of its great UEFI BIOS. The only slight caveat I have with that bundle, is that AFAIK, you can't use an Ivy Bridge CPU in that mobo, because it doesn't have a UEFI BIOS, so you may want to consider it carefully. If someone with more definitive knowledge on this point could post, I'd be grateful.

Of course, it's always worth shopping around for deals and there may be better ones from other retailers. Try Novatech, perhaps, as they give great customer service.

Finally, as far as those benchies go, I think it's about time I did something about this, so I might bother cadaveca to see how he goes about it. :)

LifeOnMars says thanks.
  3. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeh I had an ASUS board with a 2500k previously and the UEFI bios is very nice. I'm still trying to convince myself I need to upgrade. My system is currently playing anything I want......but I want moar power lol :)

4. qubit

Thanks Received:
    You need a business case, huh? Here's one: you want it.

Us enthusiasts don't need any more than that! :D

LifeOnMars says thanks.
  5. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol, I hate PCs. They are the bain of my life and my wallet :)

AlienIsGOD and qubit say thanks.
  6. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Id like to see how far you can OC it, then i would like to compare benchmarks

7. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Finally! My new PC is inside my HAF 922 case and I've updated my specs. It's all working just fine people and she's awesome. :) It's currently running at stock speed with the stock cooler, but that'll change soon, believe me. ;)

Got a quick question: the cooler mounting seems to be the same as my old S775. I've got a spare cheapy S775 cooler that's better than the stock one and a damned sight quieter, so I'd like to put that on, if possible. I'm just a little wary about it not making proper contact with the CPU and damaging it.

@FreedomEclipse

We'll compare benchmarks and I'll start another thread on it. Please be patient my friend. :toast:

EDIT: I had to reactivate Windows, but it went without a hitch, in under 5 seconds.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
    LifeOnMars says thanks.
  8. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    The mounting holes for 775 and 1156/55 are slightly different, so 775 coolers aren't compatible with 1156/55. Everything else is the same, so other than the holes not lining up you can use a 775 cooler on an 1156/55 CPU. The board I'm currently using actually came with holes for a 775 cooler along with the holes for the 1156/55 cooler. When I got it all I had was 775 mounting hardware for the TRUE so I used that and it made contact with the CPU just fine(though the 1156/55 backplate interferred with the 775 backplate I had). I bought 1156/55 mounting hardward.

I'd suggest you check to see if there are 1156/55 mounting hardware for the cooler you already have.

qubit says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  9. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Glad to hear she is all up and running. I'm loving being back on a Sandy rig. My framerates are through the roof and my GTX 560ti is looking forward to getting a partner in crime when I upgrade my monitor/resolution :)

Skyrim is now as smooth as silk even in towns/villages!! and GTA IV plays like a dream.

10. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Thanks man, I knew it was wise to ask before blundering in there. :laugh: And a little birdie told me you'd know the answer. ;)

The cheapie cooler I have is an Akasa AK-955 which was made before S1155 came out, so obviously I can't use it. I'll just sit it out until I get myself a new cooler.

There's this new Zalman model, CNPS8900 Extreme, (released in the UK in February) that I have my eye on. I really like the Zalman flowers because of the looks and the fact they cool the mobo too. Note that potential issues for this one are that it's billed as a "slim" cooler, so cooling performance may not be its top priority and I will be overclocking my CPU (it's at stock right now). The other thing, is that the Corsair Vengeance modules are rather tall, so they might interfere with it, so I'll wait for the reviews.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  11. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I don't think memory clearance will be an issue. From the looks of how the cooler mounts, it doesn't actually extend past the mounting holes, so it shouldn't come anywhere near the RAM.

qubit says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  12. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Aaargghh dammit!

While I'm waiting for that Zalman cooler to become available, this stock Intel one is driving me nuts with the noise. :banghead:

My PC sits to my right on the table, with the side panel permanently off so I can tinker with it. This means that I can hear everything. This bloody fan makes very irritating semi-musical harmonizing whining noises, made even more irritating by the fact that the speed constantly shifts up and down with the CPU workload.

Because of this, I'm getting a temporary fan and looked for something cheap to save my sanity while I wait for it. I couldn't decide between the Akasa K25, or its big brother the K32, so I got both from Amazon, hehe. The pair only came to £25. :)

13. qubit

Thanks Received:
    It looks like it will interfere

The Zalman CNPS8900 has now been released and is available from quietpc.com

However, it looks like my fears about interference are well founded. Take a look at the picture below taken from this French review, which shows it intruding into the RAM space. Unfortunately, when I bought my RAM, I hadn't thought of the height of the memory modules and these Vengeance modules are quite tall. I reckon I can fix it by buying two low profile modules and selling the others, although it's hassly and will cost me money.

This huge 120mm cooler looks beautiful and I really want it, so it'll be worth the effort. What do you lot think?

[​IMG]

14. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I dont see that Zalman CNPS8900 beating a good 120MM cooler?

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. qubit

Thanks Received:
    It may or may not be the most efficient at cooling the CPU (I'll wait for some proper English reviews I can actually read before making judgement) but asthetics are important here too and I can't see it being a lemon. I also like that it cools the mobo, which I think is quite important. Remember, my PC lives with its side panel permanently off and only a front case fan for the hard discs, so there's no forced air circulation through the case.

EDIT: Forgot to say that I've got that temporary Akasa K25 fitted and it's so quiet. Bliss!

I'm tempted to chuck that Intel POS in the bin. Seriously, it's the worst cooler I've ever had the misfortune to be subjected to. :shadedshu

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  16. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    Id like to see how far you can push that cpu as well. My 2700K is rocking 5.4GHz and still haz the room for more :rockout:

[​IMG]

qubit says thanks.
  17. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    You must remember that it blows how air into the motherboard from the CPU. Those types of coolers are not used much anymore in main stream computing. Best option you could do is pickup a nice H60/70 and two 110CFM fans in Push/Pull.

Examples

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    ^ you done editing lol....
    my screens going bonkers but your right on that cooler...
    Heck for the cost grab a H100 imo

19. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    My internet at work is bad. They have 10MB connection for TWO plants and over 600 people...

But yea even a simple H50 would do quite well as long as you were not shooting for the moon clocks.

fullinfusion says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    I hope that's atleast on custom water and you are not running that 24/7, 32nm really doesn't like more than 1.4v

brandonwh64 says thanks.
  21. qubit

Thanks Received:
    @brandonwh64

I'm sure that watercooling has awesome performance, but I prefer to stick to air. I just don't fancy all that water and tubes in my rig and I'm not shooting for super-high clocks, either.

Sure, the air's warmer from the CPU, but it depends on just how hot that heatsink is on whether it overall cools the board or heats it up. Besides, I've had that style of cooler since 2003 and I love them. How's that for a good, solid technical reason to stick with them! :laugh: That little Akasa I've put on temporarily is a flower cooler.

@fullinfusion

That's a very nice overclock you've got there. :cool:

fullinfusion says thanks.
  22. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    Yes on H20 and Nope, I run it 4.5GHz @ 1.22v 24/7

23. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Honestly I would recommend a 120MM cooler if your case allows.

Crunching for Team TPU
  24. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, that Zalman fits the bill nicely :) and I do intend on trying for a minimum of 4.5GHz with my 2700K. I've got the HAF 922, so room isn't a problem. I got it originally, so that I could fit large graphics cards and guarantee that they won't snag against the case.

I'll likely do the switcheroo with the RAM if it interferes.

25. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Hyper 212+ or Evo... ;)

Mobo cooling isnt remotely important for 24/7 clocks. This isnt X79. :p