1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

qubit's Sandy upgrade

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by qubit, Nov 29, 2011.

1. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    QUBIT!

Join the tower heatsink cooling community!

2. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm... that's two of you saying that now. I sense a conspiracy... :wtf:

Ya know what, I'm quite capable of getting both, just to compare them. :laugh:

So, which is your favourite tower cooler, panther?

3. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. qubit

Thanks Received:
    I would - and from Novatech no less. ;) It doesn't interfere with my RAM, either.

Now I wanna see what panther recommends. :)

I better read up on some reviews too so that I have a clue of what I'm looking at, too, lol.

5. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    For the price and features the 212 provides, it is one of the best buys you can make. Panther may agree ;)

qubit says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. qubit

Thanks Received:
    It sounds like you've done the reviewing for me. :D It's in stock, too... you're tempting me now. :)

Also, I generally prefer copper coolers for the slightly better cooling performance, but the risk of damage due to all that weight is significant, especially with a large overhang. You forever have to worry about giving your PC a little bump in case you trash it and that's not a great feeling.

7. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    If you could get the extra clip so you can attach a fan on the back of it as well as the front. THAT + 2 Akasa Apache's = Win

8. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I've been doing a bit of googling and review reading. It looks like the Prolimatech Megahalems is the cooler to beat. Am I right, or is there one better?

Basically, if I don't go for the Zalman, I'm gonna get the best performance air cooler I can get. I want that CPU temperature low!

Thanks for the tip, freedom. :toast:

EDIT: Crikey, it looks like this Megahalems can even go passive!

9. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Noctua NH-D14 - Current boss of all bosses for aircooling.

if you can afford it, id recommend getting a closed water loop like my Antec - Im sure you dont need to hear me harping on how i never go above 60'c even after 12hrs prime95 that will probably beat the Noctua hands down but the Noctua is cheaper.

qubit says thanks.
  10. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yep - have to agree that the Noctua NH-D14 is still the king of air coolers.

qubit says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    QubE! Dont make it harder than it needs to be... Where you are clocking, just about any midrange cooler will do. :)

I honestly wouldnt spend any more money than the 212+ or Evo. Best bang for your buck out there. Takes my 2600k to 5Ghz benchable on air, and will easily hold 4.8Ghz daily. I cant imagine you would want to go over that.

qubit says thanks.
  12. linoliveira

linoliveira

Thanks Received:
    Hyper 212+ with 2 fans isn't that bad... and its allot cheaper than the NH-D14
    Results HERE

WarEagleAU and qubit say thanks.
  13. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Thanks people. I was just reading a review of the Zalman Zalman CNPS12X over at guru3d and it appears to equal the Noctua according to them, plus I like the look of it.

Spending extra on a high performance air cooler (sorry freedom! :toast: ) is not such an obstacle to me. I want to know that I can throw anything at that CPU and it will keep it as cool as possible.

EarthDog, you make a compelling argument and so do you linoliveira. :) That 212 is a bit of a dark horse, isn't it? And yes, the cheaper price is significant.

EarthDog, what temps do you get out of that 212 when you push your CPU hard, then?

14. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    a closed waterloop will grant you better cooling then any air cooler on the current market.

Many people may say its not worth it as theres little difference in temps, but even when i was on my TT Frio a while back running the stock fans at full whack. temps would still hit 72-75'c.

Unless you are saying that you dont believe that closed water loops can handle anything you throw at it???

honestly its a no brainer... Money is no obsticle - You want the best but yet you refuse to pay for the best when its the best by a fair margin and not just a few degrees.

15. qubit

Thanks Received:
    I don't think you understand me. I know water cools inherently better (sometimes way better) it's just not something that I want to put into my PC. I just don't like the idea of liquid coolant anywhere near it with the possibility of leaks and the awkwardness of the pipes.

16. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Temps hit around 80-85C at 5Ghz (1.49v bleh chip) under P95 which is perfectly acceptable. During gaming It doesnt break 70C there. I had a nice 4.5Ghz overclock and it didnt break 63C in gaming IIRC. Plenty. Thats with one Yate Loon high at 1k RPM.

qubit says thanks.
  17. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    well i suppose the pipes can look a little ugly if you have a clear side panel.

as for leaking, its very rare that a closed loop unit would leak unless you really really really twist up the pipes. Ive only heard of one occasion where a guy woke up to find his closed loop had sprung a leak over night and leaked all over his hardware but thats an isolated incident afaik. there are many others here on these forums who are running with Corsair Hx0/H100's and they have never had a problem. but its fine, but its just like saying you dislike having your PC plugged into the mains because Electricity could fry your hardware - Same consequences.

you wont achieve if you dont take risks.

18. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Looked at some more reviews (TPU) and this video review and others and it does look like that Noctua D14 is the daddy of coolers to have - it cools overclocked CPUs so efficiently, yet with almost no noise, just what I'm looking for. Problem is the size. It definitely will not fit with my Vengeance RAM (I so kick myself for not considering the height of the modules when I got them) so I'd either have to run with half the RAM (no!) or sell it and get the low profile version, which will cost me extra money and hassle. :ohwell:

EarthDog, that 212 Evo is starting to look more compelling, especially considering its surprising cooling performance. I suspect that you know what you're talking about. ;)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  19. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The Noctua is NOT the current king of coolers. The current king is the Phanteks ph-tc14pe. Look it up. Serious beast of a cooler. ;). If you want a smaller footprint, I love the Venomous-X. It's better than the Mega, and just a couple of degrees behind the Noctua. I switched back to water recently, but I own the V-X, Mega, and I had the Noctua for awhile, so I'm talking from experience. I really didn't care for the size of the Noctua. Much too large for my taste.

WarEagleAU and qubit say thanks.
  20. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Thanks man, that's very helpful. :toast:

While looking at the Novatech website, I came across the Coolermaster V8. I've read one review in which it came out well, but I'll have to check out more, of course. I'll also check out the models you suggested, of course.

I really don't want something that will force me to change my RAM.

21. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
    I had the V8 too. I thought it was meh. Mediocre cooling, and I didn't love the mounting. If you want a solid performance/price with a smaller footprint, the V-X is the way to go. If you are running just 2 sticks of ram, it will not get in the way.

22. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Hmmf, you're not kidding about that V8. Hardware Canucks' conclusion can be summed up as "good, but flawed". And the bloody fan can't be replaced. :rolleyes: I'll pass.

The Venemous-X looks good in a couple of reviews. Now I just have to find some places that'll sell it... I think it might be a discontinued model.

23. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
    http://www.amazon.co_uk/dp/B003NWXH9S/?tag=tec053-21

24. linoliveira

linoliveira

Thanks Received:
    I think you don't want that cooler! Proof!

25. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
    LOL. Like I said, if you run just 2 sticks, you are fine. 4 is a no go, like with many of the high end coolers. Sometimes you just have to go low profile, if you want good cooling and all dimm slots populated.