1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

qubit's Steam troubleshooting thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by qubit, May 9, 2011.

1. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    A lot of TPU members now game on the Steam platform, including me. For Steam problems, one can go to the Steam forums. However, we may prefer to discuss these in our awesome TPU community instead. :cool: Therefore, post all your Steam related problems, hints and tips here. I'll get us started:

Move your Steam install from one hard drive to another From this Steam HowTo

Your games reside in the SteamApps folder. Be sure to back up this folder before starting, or you could lose all your game files if something goes wrong and big downloads will ensue...

• Log out and exit Steam
    • Navigate to the folder where Steam is installed (by default: C:\Program Files\Steam\)
    • Delete all of the files and folders except the SteamApps folder and Steam.exe
    • Cut and paste your Steam folder to the new location, for example: D:\Games\Steam\
    • Launch Steam
    • Steam will briefly update and then you will be ready to play
    • All future game content will be downloaded to the new folder D:\Games\Steam\Steamapps\

Miscellaneous odd problems with Steam

Delete ClientRegistry.blob in the Steam folder. This forces to Steam update and rebuild itself, usually ironing out the problem in the process.
  2. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    If you're in another country with internet access and it happens to be one of those Steam Sales seasons that they have and you desperately need to buy a game, contact support and explain the situation. They'll release the control they have on using your payment details in another country and you can purchase away!
    Darkleoco and qubit say thanks.
  3. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice idea for a thread Qubit. I would much rather sort out Steam problems on this forum as you tend to get alot of muppets on the Steam forums and the lack of any quality moderation leaves alot to be desired. :)
    qubit says thanks.
  4. qubit

Thanks Received:
    www.steampowered.com is currently not loading in the browser. Starting up the Steam client logs in ok, but game updates are stuck and the store page won't load.

Anyone else seeing this?
  5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It works for me but it's slow. Lots of traffic on Steam right now, thus this is the way it is during the hollidays, Steam sales, etc.
  6. qubit

Thanks Received:
    You'd think that with the amount of money Valve makes, they'd spec their systems to cope with this peak demand, wouldn't you? :shadedshu
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  7. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    There load handling ability greatly varies from place to place i have no problems with the Wash DC server but new york or philly servers take forever to dl stuff.
  8. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    I guess they don't have what it takes to serve Portugal and Spain (same server). :ohwell:
    It doesn't load any page. Gives me error 118.
  9. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Of course they are. Ever think that the lines going in to Valve's servers can get overloaded?
  10. qubit

Thanks Received:
    I've just had a Steam update install itself on my PC like it normally does after I accept it. However, this time, it's screwed Steam up:

Tried playing Hard Reset, which I'm part way through, but it's no longer installed and wants to download it. However, much more annoying is that it will likely lose my place, which is quite a way in. :mad:

Half of my games are all automatically redownloading! Nice waste of bandwidth.

Note that just before this update went on, I had to re-enter my password at Steam startup, which was odd, as I hadn't accessed it from anywhere else.

I tried Googling about this, but couldn't find anything.

Anyone else seen this?
  11. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Cannot use OFFLINE mode when your internet connection is down?
    Offline Mode refuses to activate in such scenario? This usually only happens if you're using wireless or wired router. Make sure you disable the connection by unplugging the cable from PC or disabling connection through Windows settings. If you don't, Steam will think it's actually connected, but when it will try to go into Offline Mode, it will fail because connection doesn't actually exist (it sees the router link).

When you disconnect the computer from connection, use Offline Mode again and it should switch.
    I was banging my head against wall because of this when my ISP link dropped off the Earth for 3 days and i couldn't play a single Steam game. Then i found out it was router's fault to fail like this...
    qubit says thanks.
  12. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    This already happened to me quite a few times.

Follow this link for source.
  13. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the tip. :toast:

Thanks for that. I can't look at it now, as it's blocked at work :rolleyes: however, while Hard Reset had to redownload, I didn't lose my position in it. :)
  14. Sinzia

Thanks Received:
    I'm in for subbing, I rarely have issues with steam tho.
  15. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    For those not aware another basic troubleshooting method when you are having issues with a game is the "Verify Cache Integrity" or some such option when you right-click on a game in your list. If it finds something missing or wrong it will re-download that part.

You can furthermore utilize this to get a new, fresh .exe too or something if you know/think you need it. Just dump your present one before running it.