1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Query about Steam use on older applications

Discussion in 'Games' started by newconroer, Mar 10, 2010.

1. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    I've had to suck up installing Steam recently.

I was going through some old discs and found some ancient games that I thought would be fun for a weekend romp. Then I got to thinking about Steam's auto-patching system as well as special downloadable content. Unfortunately, some of these programs/games do not exist in their game library. So I've had to add them as 'non-steam games.'

Though, how do I check through Steam, if there are any patches out there for these programs, that piled up over the years? I suppose if Steam doesn't recognize the game, than it doesn't bother to hold any data on it? ( I figured maybe as an added amenity to their customers, they still try to obtain patches, mods and similar for games, even if they aren't on the official list).

Also, what about games that are on the list/library, but I don't have keys for? Like I still have AvP2 and old RainbowSix(did R6 even have a cd key?). Steam doesn't recognize the games installed on the system. I therefore add it as 'non-Steam,' but then I cannot patch it?

Does this mean that only games that are registered through Steam, with a cd/serial key are going to be patchable? Or if I'm wrong, how do you force Steam to tie your game installation, to the game title in the library list? Does this require you to make a manual 'steamapp' file?

I don't know a massive deal about the inner workings and limitations of Steam, but I really thought it would be simple. I scroll down to my game on the list, right click, and then somewhere in that menu would be an option to point Steam to the game's installation folder or executable. Though I don't see this.
  2. Mandown

Mandown New Member

Thanks Received:
    My understanding is if it was not installed through steam (aka. downloaded from steam) then it will not update through steam. You have to DL patches from the net. Adding a non-steam game will just make a shortcut for it so you can play under the steam cloud.
  3. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Ya, that's kinda what I feared.

After installing it and having a poke-around, I figured I'd just use it as my all inclusive gaming application. But if it's limited to Steam purchases or registrations, than that cuts it's usefulness for me considerably.

Any other programs that might facilitate this, besides X-fire?
  4. kuroikenshi

kuroikenshi

Thanks Received:
    That is my one gripe about steam is that you can't enter in old valid serial keys for games that you already own in which they offer for sale.... so you end up having to buying them again (although they are usually priced really cheap anyways but...).