1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Question about a small upgrade I'm thinking of doing to an old pc

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by -1nf1n1ty-, Oct 13, 2009.

1. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    Specs for my old pc

AMD X2 4200+

2 7600GT's

500watt PSU

GA-M59SLI-S5 motherboard

I was thinking of upgrading the CPU to either a phenom 1 or a triple core everything else Im not gonna change cause its a really good pc regardless of an upgrade I was wondering if you guys could recommend a good cpu? Im looking on the cpu support list and Im not sure what I can have and cannot and I was planning on giving the old CPU to my friend cause im building him a PC for Christmas out of spare parts

heres the link to the board on the Gigabyte site
    http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2302

again I have no clue what Im looking at, any help would be appreciated

2. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    according to gigabyte page, it doesnt supprot any am2+ cpu, so you are out of luck. the best upgrade u can do now is take this and overclock it (the board is good). sorry if i cant help muchm more :(

-1nf1n1ty- says thanks.
  3. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    is there anything better than that? cause although that does look like a good cpu and Imma consider it just seeing what else I can get, graphics cards are great so I wont upgrade that same goes for mobo and Imma use my old ddr2 800 ram I had on there(ones I'm using now) and putting it back

4. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:

Uhh, if you scroll the page down you'll see a list of all supported am2+ CPUs. Seems to be able to take up to Ph II 940/420

http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2302#anchor_os

edit:
    There is some red text at the bottom stating that when you use AM2+, HT3.0 support will be dropped down to HT1.0, which i don't think is that big of an issue unless you do alot of memory intensive tasks

5. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    see thats what I thought but I just didnt understand the note at the very bottom

(Note) If you install AMD AM2+ CPU on AM2 motherbord, the system bus speed will downgrade from HT3.0(5200 MT/s) to HT1.0(2000 MT/s) spec; however, the frequency of AM2+ CPU will not be impacted.

is that bad?

6. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    Well to corect myself, your memory is directly linked to your cpu and HT is only used to communicate with peripheral devices.

HT is how the cpu communicates with the North bridge and South bridge of the motherboard. Obviously the the faster it is, the better. However from what I can tell, there is really no signifficant bennefit in using HT3.0 on desktop computers.

In a server enviroment however, the situation is entirely different, because you have 2-4 CPUs on the same MB, communicating with one another.

7. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    so I guess I shouldnt let that kinda thing bother me? if it doesnt matter?

8. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    That board does not support AM2+ processors.

I know the page is a little confusing, thanks Gigabyte, but I'll explain it.

You are interested in the very last column. If that column has an F# in it, then that processor is support, and has been support since that BIOS version. I'll use the first processor in the list as an example:

Athlon 64 FX-62 ... F2

What this means is that since BIOS version F2, the processor has been supported.

Now, when you go down to the AM2+ processors, they all have N/A in the last column. What that means is that no BIOS supports these processor, AKA the board does not support them.

-1nf1n1ty- says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  9. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:

Yes, it shouldn't matter

-1nf1n1ty- says thanks.
  10. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    Dang, that's some terrible information management on Gigabyte's side...

Sorry for missleading you then. I'm sure the motherboard itself is perfectly capable of supporting the AM2+ CPUs but it's up to Gigabyte to add the cpu code in the bios. It would be great if someone with a similar board could test it out tho..

11. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    nah its ok I love gigabyte boards, and I love AMD, dont like intel cause of price and I have more problems with it I guess Ill go for a x2 6400 BE if I can find one for cheap if not then 6000, which I kinda dont mind having but I dont want it

12. Jeffredo

Jeffredo

Thanks Received:
    That 3.1 Ghz X2 6000+ would be a quite healthy jump from your current CPU. Slide in an HD 4770 or HD 4850 and you've transformed that PC for less than $200.

13. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    nah Im not gonna trade the graphics cards out because they're still good and if I took them out they would just lie around doubt I would be able to sell them either since its outdated

14. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    Not really, the 4850 is about as fast as a 8800GTX is, so no its not a big jump at all.
    So the 8800GTS is slightly faster than the 4730 and just as much of a sucker in terms of power consumtion.

15. Jeffredo

Jeffredo

Thanks Received:
    Did I miss something? Did he mention an 8800 GTX, 8800 GTS or whatever? All I saw was two 7600 GT cards in SLI in his first post. Anyway, if he wants to keep the old cards an X2 6000+ Brisbane would still be a good upgrade from an X2 4200+ (again from his first post of current hardware).

-1nf1n1ty- says thanks.
  16. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    7600gt's are still good no need to upgrade and it does more than enough to play games like fear, company of heroes, unreal tournament 3, l4d, half life 2, counter strike, cod 4, etc. Im not a greedy pc gamer I can deal without the use of everything max I have before

doesn't do to horribly on crysis either been able to play it medium settings turned some things on high also lags a bit but its playable